27 May 2023
UNIVERSITY OF NEW SOUTH WALES
- Research Field
- Researcher Profile
Recognised Researcher (R2)
Established Researcher (R3)
- Application Deadline
24 Jun 2023 - 00:00 (UTC)
- Type of Contract
- Job Status
- Is the job funded through the EU Research Framework Programme?
Not funded by an EU programme
- Is the Job related to staff position within a Research Infrastructure?
Research Associate/Senior Research Associate
(Haematopoietic stem cell biology/Leukaemia)
UNSW isn’t like other places you’ve worked. Yes, we’re a large organisation with a diverse and talented community; a community doing extraordinary things. Together, we are driven to be thoughtful, practical, and purposeful in all we do. Taking this combined approach is what makes our work matter. It’s the reason we’re one of the top 50 universities in the world and a member of Australia’s prestigious Group of Eight. If you want a career where you can thrive, be challenged, and do meaningful work, you’re in the right place.
Why Your Role Matters:
The School of Biomedical Sciences (SBMS) is the largest School within UNSW Medicine, and one of the largest at UNSW. The school is based largely within the Wallace Wurth (Medicine) Building on the Kensington campus, but also includes the Lowy Cancer Research Centre. The Postdoctoral Research Fellow will be based in the Stem Cell Group, Adult Cancer Program, Lowy Cancer Research Centre and will investigate the molecular identity of healthy and mutant blood stem cells with a view to translating findings to benefit blood cancer therapy.
The Postdoctoral Research Fellow will demonstrate the ability to conduct high-quality research in haematopoietic stem cell and leukaemia biology with a focus on epigenetics. They will design, set up and manage projects that use single cell transcriptomics and multi-omics to investigate the development and function of healthy blood and leukemic cells. They will have sufficient programming skills to analyse their data with bioinformatics support for complex applications. The ideal candidate will combine a solid background in single cell experimentation and data analytics with a strong drive to work with other experimental and computational biologists to advance laboratory discoveries towards clinical applications.
The role reports to the Head of the Stem Cell Group (Professor John Pimanda).
For further information on the role & responsibilities, please refer to the job description at JOBS@UNSW or contact:
Professor John Pimanda
Professor of Medicine | School of Biomedical Sciences | School of Clinical Medicine
Who You Are:
Skills & Experience
- A relevant bachelor’s degree in science (BSc) with Honours and a doctorate in philosophy (PhD) and relevant research experience.
- Experience investigating gene regulation and epigenetics in haematopoietic stem and leukaemic cells.
- Skills in lentiviral transduction of primary healthy and leukaemic cells.
- Experience in gene silencing (shRNA) and editing (Crispr-cas9) technologies with applications in primary blood stem/leukemic cells.
- Experience performing in vitro (colony forming units) and in vivo (xeno-transplantation) haematopoietic stem cell functional assays.
- Experience applying single-cell technologies to investigate cellular transcriptomics (e.g., 10X, Smart-seq2/3).
- Demonstrated ability to undertake high quality academic research and conduct independent research with limited supervision.
- Demonstrated superior interpersonal communication skills to initiate and maintain effective stakeholder relationships whilst exercising discretion and confidentiality.
- Excellent time management skills, with a demonstrated ability to respond to changing priorities, manage multiple tasks and meet competing deadlines by using judgement and initiative.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with a high level of attention to detail and the ability to liaise with clinicians and wet- and dry- lab scientists across disciplines.
Desirable Skills & Experience
- Experience working with a range of computer systems and applications including UNIX/Linux.
- Passion for biological systems- their complexity, redundancy, and subtleties.
- Proficiency with at least one programming language, preferably Python would be an advantage.
Benefits and Culture:
People are at the core of everything we do. We recognise it is the contributions of our staff who make UNSW one of the best universities in Australia and the world.
Our benefits include:
- Career development opportunities
- 17% Superannuation contributions and additional leave loading payments
- Additional 3 days of leave over Christmas period
- Discounts and entitlements (retail, education, fitness)
How to Apply:
Make each day matter with a meaningful career at UNSW. Submit your application online before the 9th July at 11:55pm. A copy of the Position Description can be on JOBS@UNSW.
Please ensure you submit both CV and a Cover Letter addressing the required skills and experience.
Get in Touch:
(for recruitment questions)
Talent Acquisition Consultant
Please apply through the application portal and not via the contact above.
UNSW is committed to evolving a culture that embraces equity and supports a diverse and inclusive community where everyone can participate fairly, in a safe and respectful environment. We welcome candidates from all backgrounds and encourage applications from people of diverse gender, sexual orientation, cultural and linguistic backgrounds, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander background, people with disability and those with caring and family responsibilities. UNSW provides workplace adjustments for people with disability, and access to flexible work options for eligible staff.
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.
- Number of offers available
- UNIVERSITY OF NEW SOUTH WALES
- Sydney (Region), New South Wales (AU)
Where to apply
Sydney (Region), New South Wales (AU)
Administrative Officer Ramaciotti Centre For Genomics, University of New South Wales, Australia, about 17 hours ago
Apply now Job no:519337 Work type:full time Location:Sydney, NSW Categories:Administration One of Australia’s leading research & teaching universities Vibrant campus life with a strong sense of co...
Associate Lecturer, University of New South Wales, Australia, about 17 hours ago
Apply now Job no:519368 Work type:part time Location:Sydney, NSW Categories:Associate Lecturer One of Australia’s leading research & teaching universities Vibrant campus life with a strong sense o...
Research Associate, University of Sydney, Australia, 8 days ago
Full time, fixed term until December 2026 Exciting opportunity for a Research Associate (Academic Track) to work with the Translational Immunology Group Base Salary from $83,454 + 17% superannuati...
Manager, Tax & Advisory, University of New South Wales, Australia, 13 days ago
Employment Type: Full time (35 hours per week) Duration: Continuing permanent contract Remuneration: Competitive salary package Location: Kensington, NSW (Hybrid working) About UNSW: UNSW isn’t li...
Senior Manager, Entrepreneurship – Startups, University of New South Wales, Australia, 21 days ago
Apply now Job no:519349 Work type:full time Location:Sydney, NSW Categories:Entrepreneurship, Management Why your role matters Inspire the next generation of Australia’s startup founders – this is...
Workshop Assistant, University of New South Wales, Australia, about 17 hours ago
Apply now Job no:518949 Work type:casual Location:Sydney, NSW Categories:Administration, Student Services One of Australia’s leading research & teaching universities Vibrant campus life with a str...