9 Sep 2023
- Research Field
- Researcher Profile
Recognised Researcher (R2)
Established Researcher (R3)
- Application Deadline
24 Sep 2023 - 00:00 (UTC)
- Type of Contract
- Job Status
- Is the job funded through the EU Research Framework Programme?
Not funded by an EU programme
- Is the Job related to staff position within a Research Infrastructure?
- Fixed term until 2026 | Full-Time
- Academic Level A | $83,500 - $101,192 p.a.
- Location: Bedford Park / Kaurna Country
- View Position Description
About the ARC Training Centre for Biofilm Research and Innovation:
We are the leading Australian research and training centre tackling biofilm-related challenges.
The ARC Training Centre for Biofilm Research and Innovation , led by Flinders University, is a 5 year, $7.8m research and training program, bringing together 5 universities, 10 industry partners and key industry and regulatory bodies to deliver innovative research and biofilm solutions to tackle important issues for the maritime and water industries.
Biofilms grow on all surfaces and environments, from catheters to drinking water pipes and ships. They are complex organisations of cells that grow on both living and inert surfaces and are both viscous and elastic in nature. They can be made up of a single species or comprise several species of different types of microorganisms, including those that pose a threat to either human health or our environment. Biofilm attachment and development cannot be prevented completely thus they cost billions each year to those attempting to eradicate them.
By working with industries to develop innovative solutions that meet their needs and alleviate their biofilm-related problems, the ARC Training Centre for Biofilm Research and Innovation aims to: transform biofouling management strategies for maritime platforms; train the next generation of interdisciplinary scientists and engineers; and to develop biofilm management strategies across the defence and water industries to address evolving regulatory stringency.
About the Role
Flinders University is seeking a Research Associate in Chemistry/Materials Science to join the ARC Training Centre for Biofilm Research and Innovation.
Working under the direction of the Chief Investigator, Professor Mats Andersson , and partner investigators at Sparc Technologies Ltd, the Research Associate will assist in leading the design and execution of the research project which aims to develop and access conducting marine antifouling coatings.
As the Research Associate you will be required to:
- Assist in supervising and training students involved in the research project, according to the University’s policies, practices and standards.
- Contribute to the planning and execution of research by offering new ideas, reviewing relevant literature and other sources of information, actively participating in the production of data and attending seminars, meetings and conferences.
- Contribute to ethical, high quality and innovative research and evaluation through activities such as scholarship, quality publication, external grant acquisition and presentation that aligns with the College areas of research strength and focus.
The successful Research Associate will have the ability to deliver project targets on time and critically review the literature in relevant fields. You will be an excellent communicator as you establish and maintain effective relationships, proving you can collaborate and engage with diverse stakeholders and industry partners.
As the Research Associate in Chemistry/Materials Science you will demonstrate:
- A PhD in Chemistry, Materials Science, or related field or significant progress toward completion of a PhD in Chemistry, Materials Science, or related field.
- Proven experience in performing electrochemical characterisation of materials.
- Demonstrated experience in preparing coated electrodes for electrochemical experiments.
- Demonstrated experience in working with polymeric materials.
Life at Flinders
We're transforming and investing in people and facilities to create contemporary, stimulating, and satisfying learning and work environments that reflect our core values of excellence, innovation, courage, and integrity. Flinders is refocusing its strategic priorities with the aim of elevating its performance to be a top ten Australian university, and amongst the top 1% in the world.
Reaching beyond the limits of buildings, borders, and backgrounds, ours is an inclusive culture that believes absolutely in equality and opportunity for all. We don't just accommodate differences; we embrace and celebrate them. So, why work at Flinders?
- 17% Superannuation + salary packaging options
- Flexible working arrangements
- Wide range of professional development activities and services
- We embrace diversity and promote equity and inclusion for all students and staff
- Vibrant campus life and amenities including on campus health care services , gym and childcare centre (Bedford Park, South Australia).
Prescribed Conditions for Employment
- Potentially attain, and maintain, an Australian Security Baseline clearance level as determined under the Australian Government Protective Security Policy Framework (PSPF).
- A valid National Police Certificate which is satisfactory to the University will also be required before the successful applicant can commence in this position.
- A valid Australian Drivers License will be required.
- Please note that you may be required to provide evidence that you are up to date with COVID-19 vaccinations, in line with the Flinders University COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
How to Apply and Information
- You are required to submit a Suitability Statement of no more than 3 pages, addressing the Key Position Capabilities of the position description available on page 2-3.
- For more information regarding this position, please contact Professor Mats Andersson
Applications to be submitted before 10:00 pm:
24 Sept 2023
At Flinders we embrace and celebrate diversity and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, and people of all ages, ethnicities, abilities, sexual orientations, and gender identities.
- Number of offers available
- FLINDERS UNIVERSITY
- Postal Code
- Bedford Park
Where to apply
Senior Lecturer In Remote Health Practice (Allied Health), Flinders University, Australia, about 19 hours ago
Position Details Fixed Term Until December 2024 | Full-Time Academic Level C | $129,818 - $149,331 p.a. Location: Alice Springs / Arrernte Country View Position Description Flinders Rural and Remo...
Lecturer In Indigenous Knowledges And Culture (Identified), Flinders University, Australia, about 19 hours ago
Position Details 2 Fixed Term Positions: 1 Until December 2024 & 1 Until November 2024 | Full-Time Academic Level B | $106,403 - $125,917 p.a. Location: Alice Springs / Arrernte Country View Posit...
Research Officer In Applied Chemistry, University of Adelaide, Australia, 10 days ago
Job no:512795 Work type:Fixed term - Full-time Campus:Adelaide Categories:Technical, Laboratory and Research Support, HEO5 Research Officer (HEO5) and $77,409 and $86,072 per annum plus an employe...
Research Associate (Level Aras), University of South Australia, Australia, 16 days ago
Open to Australian Aboriginal Peoples and UniSA employees only Two full-time, 12-month fixed term contracts based in the UniSA Clinical and Health Sciences Unit at the City West campus Salary Band...
Senior Technical Officer (Heo 5), University of South Australia, Australia, 13 days ago
Based in the UniSA Clinical and Health Sciences Unit at the City West campus Full-time, fixed term contract until 15 October 2025 Salary Band: $74,808 - $88,375 per annum (plus 17% superannuation)...
Lecturer (B) Chemistry, University of Adelaide, Australia, about 23 hours ago
Job no:512987 Work type:Continuing - Full-time Campus:Adelaide Categories:Level B, Faculty of Sciences, Engineering and Technology Lecturer of Chemistry (Level B) $107,276 - $126,894 per annum plu...