Work type:full time
Categories:Science, Health and Medical Sciences
UWA School of Agriculture and Environment
- Researcher with experience and skills in computational biology and advanced programming to work in an exciting research initiative funded by the DNA Zoo Australia
- Level A, full-time appointment on a fixed term basis for 2 years
- Base salary range: $74,236 - $99,905 p.a. plus 17% superannuation
The University of Western Australia (UWA) is ranked among the top 100 universities in the world and a member of the prestigious Australian Group of Eight research intensive universities. With a strong research track record, vibrant campus and working environments, supported by the freedom to innovate and inspire, there is no better time to join Western Australia’s top university.
About the team
DNA Zoo Australia (DZA), research initiative with the University of Western Australia dedicated to generating high-quality genomic resources for Western Australia species and a member of a global comparative genomics consortium, is looking for an experienced computational biologist to advance DNA Zoo’s mission to leverage comparative genomic data to improve ecosystem stability and human health. DZA provides computational and analytic resources to advance scientific discovery through its multi-disciplinary team of wet-lab and computational scientists who work on collaborative projects both within Australia and with the global members of the DNA Zoo community.
About the opportunity
You will lead the processing, analysing, and integrating public and newly generated genomic and epigenomic datasets. This will include developing sustainable integrated data science products, scaling up existing open-source software packages and developing new tools that empower DNA Zoo Australia to explore, analyse and interpret their comparative genomic data. The scale of the data to be analysed will require methodological work, algorithm development and technical development.
To be considered for this role, you will demonstrate:
- Postgraduate qualifications in computational biology, Bioinformatics, Biostatistics, Computer Science or related fields or a combination of relevant experience and/or education/training
- Ability to program at a high level and ability to work independently, show initiative, problem solve and work productively as part of a team
- Proficient in bash, awk, Java, C++ and/or Python
- Advanced experience in genome assembly of non-model species, next generation sequencing and chromosome-length genome analysis
- Proficiency in genome assembly workflows using a range of sequencing data including HiC Substantial relevant experience in writing scientific manuscripts and reports
- Substantial experience analysing genetic and genomic data
- Familiar with open-source tools for annotation of repeats and protein-coding genes, genome alignment, orthologue identification, selection analysis
- Working knowledge of git or similar tools for scientific software development
- Strong quantitative, analytical, and communication skills, and ability to work independently and collaboratively on scientific problems and deliver solutions
- Highly developed written and verbal communication skills
- Highly developed organisational skills with the demonstrated ability to set priorities and to meet deadlines
The ideal candidate will be proficient in programming and advanced proficiency in bash, awk, Java, C++ and/or Python, have genome assembly experience with non-model species, comparative genomic experience, have strong quantitative, analytical, and communication skills, and will be able to work independently and collaboratively on scientific problems and deliver solutions. There will be opportunities for working in teams and independent decision making at all levels of bioinformatic processing and analysis of the data, as well as examining, evaluating, and recommending analytical approaches to collaborating labs. In addition, methodological developments for novel and challenging data analysis and integration tasks arise frequently requiring originality and creativity, including designing and analysing follow-up experiments and analyses.
About your application
Full details of the position's responsibilities and the selection criteria are outlined in the position description: PD - Research Associate Computational Biology 513037.pdf
You are required to address the selection criteria in your submission in a separate document. For information to assist you with compiling statements to answer the selection criteria, please visit Addressing the selection criteria
Closing date: 11:55 PM AWST on Tuesday, 7 February 2023
To learn more about this opportunity, please contact Associate Professor Parwinder Kaur on Parwinder.Kaur@uwa.edu.au
This position is open to international applicants.
Note: Any relocation and visa application will be the applicant’s responsibility.
Our commitment to inclusion and diversity
UWA is committed to a diverse workforce and an equitable and inclusive workplace. We celebrate difference and believe diversity is fundamental to achieving our goals as a globally recognised Top 100 educational and research institution. We are committed to creating a safe work environment for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, women, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, the LGBTIQA+ community and people living with disability.
- We have a globally competitive, gender neutral parental leave policy with 26 weeks paid leave after 12 months service and 36 weeks after 5 years.
- We have on-campus childcare facilities for child 6 weeks to kindy.
- We facilitate flexible working, with part-time and job-sharing arrangements considered.
- We have an ongoing partnership with Pride in Diversity and were recently awarded a Bronze Employer status for LGBTIQA+ inclusion.
- We have Athena SWAN Bronze accreditation and actively work to improve gender equity.
Should you have any queries relating to your application, please contact the individual named in the advertisement. Alternatively, contact the Talent team at email@example.com with details of your query. To enable a quick response, please include the 6-digit job reference number and a member of the team will respond to your enquiry.
Advertised:10 Jan 2023 W. Australia Standard Time
Applications close:07 Feb 2023 11:55 PM W. Australia Standard Time
Lecturer, Entrepreneurship And Innovation, UNIVERSITY OF WESTERN AUSTRALIA, Australia, 9 days ago
20 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company UNIVERSITY OF WESTERN AUSTRALIA Research Field Management sciences Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) First Stage Researcher (R1) Countr...
Lecturer, School Of Allied Health, UNIVERSITY OF WESTERN AUSTRALIA, Australia, 24 days ago
5 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company UNIVERSITY OF WESTERN AUSTRALIA Research Field Medical sciences Sociology Ethics in health sciences Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) Fi...
Lecturer Complex Systems, UNIVERSITY OF WESTERN AUSTRALIA, Australia, 3 days ago
26 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company UNIVERSITY OF WESTERN AUSTRALIA Research Field Mathematics Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) First Stage Researcher (R1) Country Austra...
Network Engineer, Curtin University, Australia, 2 days ago
Job Reference: 1080524 Digital & Technology Solutions Curtin is building one of the most exciting digital transformations across Australia today. We are building a revolutionary digital services d...
Associate Professor Nursing, Edith Cowan University, Australia, about 24 hours ago
$154,492 to $169,855 PA (ALEVD) Ongoing. Full-time, Joondalup campus Open to Australian or New Zealand citizens or Australian permanent residents ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR – NURSING SCHOOL OF NURSING AN...
Business Manager (Wa Creative Tech Innovation Hub), Edith Cowan University, Australia, 4 days ago
$93,378 to $104,628 (HEW 7) Fixed-term, Full time, South-west Campus Open to candidates with relevant work rights BUSINESS MANAGER (WA CREATIVE TECH INNOVATION HUB) $93,378 TO $104,628 PLUS 17% SU...