UWA School of Agriculture and Environment
- Researcher with experience and skills in computational biology or bioinformatics to work in an exciting research initiative funded by the DNA Zoo Australia
- Level A, full-time appointment on a fixed term basis for 2 years
- Base salary range: $74,236 - $99,905 p.a. plus 17% superannuation
The University of Western Australia (UWA) is ranked among the top 100 universities in the world and a member of the prestigious Australian Group of Eight research intensive universities. With a strong research track record, vibrant campus and working environments, supported by the freedom to innovate and inspire, there is no better time to join Western Australia’s top university.
About the team
DNA Zoo Australia (DZA), research initiative with the University of Western Australia dedicated to generating high-quality genomic resources for Western Australia species and a member of a global comparative genomics consortium, is looking for an experienced computational biologist to advance DNA Zoo’s mission to leverage comparative genomic data to improve ecosystem stability and human health. DZA provides computational and analytic resources to advance scientific discovery through its multi-disciplinary team of wet-lab and computational scientists who work on collaborative projects both within Australia and with the global members of the DNA Zoo community.
About the opportunity
You will lead the processing, analysing, and integrating public and newly generated genomic and epigenomic datasets. This will include developing sustainable integrated data science products, scaling up existing open-source software packages and developing new tools that empower DNA Zoo Australia to explore, analyse and interpret their comparative genomic data. The scale of the data to be analysed will require methodological work, algorithm development and technical development.
To be considered for this role, you will demonstrate:
- Postgraduate qualifications in bioinformatics or computational biology, Biostatistics, Computer Science or related fields or a combination of relevant experience and/or education/training
- Proficient in bash, awk, Java, C++ and/or Python
- Substantial experience analysing genetic and genomic data
- Familiar with open-source tools for annotation of repeats and protein-coding genes, genome alignment, orthologue identification, selection analysis
- Experience in next generation sequencing and chromosome-length genome analysis
- Proficiency in genome assembly workflows using a range of sequencing data including HiC
About your application
Full details of the position's responsibilities and the selection criteria are outlined in the position description: PD - Research Associate - Bioinformatics 513037.pdf
You are required to address the selection criteria in your submission in a separate document. For information to assist you with compiling statements to answer the selection criteria, please visit Addressing the selection criteria
Closing date: 11:55 PM AWST on Sunday, 11 December 2022
To learn more about this opportunity, please contact Associate Professor Parwinder Kaur on Parwinder.Kaur@uwa.edu.au
This position is open to international applicants.
Note: Any relocation and visa application will be the applicant’s responsibility.
Application Details: Please apply online via the Apply Now button.
Our commitment to inclusion and diversity
UWA is committed to a diverse workforce and an equitable and inclusive workplace. We celebrate difference and believe diversity is fundamental to achieving our goals as a globally recognised Top 100 educational and research institution. We are committed to creating a safe work environment for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, women, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, the LGBTIQA+ community and people living with disability.
- We have a globally competitive, gender neutral parental leave policy with 26 weeks paid leave after 12 months service and 36 weeks after 5 years.
- We have on-campus childcare facilities for child 6 weeks to kindy.
- We facilitate flexible working, with part-time and job-sharing arrangements considered.
- We have an ongoing partnership with Pride in Diversity and were recently awarded a Bronze Employer status for LGBTIQA+ inclusion.
- We have Athena SWAN Bronze accreditation and actively work to improve gender equity.
Should you have any queries relating to your application, please contact the individual named in the advertisement. Alternatively, contact the Talent team at email@example.com with details of your query. To enable a quick response, please include the 6-digit job reference number and a member of the team will respond to your enquiry.
Research Associate Computational Biology, The University of Western Australia, Australia, 4 days ago
Job no:513037 Work type:full time Location:Crawley Categories:Science, Health and Medical Sciences UWA School of Agriculture and Environment Researcher with experience and skills in computational ...
Research Associate Biotechnology / 3 D Genomics, The University of Western Australia, Australia, 8 days ago
Job no:513035 Work type:full time Location:Crawley Categories:Science, Health and Medical Sciences UWA School of Agriculture and Environment Researcher with experience and skills in molecular biol...
Communications & Engagement Coordinator, The University of Western Australia, Australia, 4 days ago
Job no:513552 Work type:full time Location:Crawley Categories:Community Engagement/Marketing UWA Public Policy Institute Exciting opportunity to lead on communications and engagement for a high pr...
Digitisation Officer, The University of Western Australia, Australia, 2 days ago
University Library Records, Archives & Digitisation Services Work together as a team in the Digitisation Centre of WA to digitise items from identified Western Australia collections for preservati...
Senior Housekeeper, The University of Western Australia, Australia, 3 days ago
UWA Perth Accommodation Part time (0.8 FTE), ongoing appointment Base salary range: Level 2 $56,631 – $58,490 p.a. (pro rata) plus 17% superannuation The University of Western Australia (UWA) is r...
Technical Officer (Graduate Research Assistant), The University of Western Australia, Australia, 4 days ago
Job no:513454 Work type:full time Location:Crawley Categories:Technical/Laboratory support, Science UWA School of Agriculture and Environment Gain hands-on experience in conducting field experimen...