An opportunity to transform the lives of future colleagues while caring for the lives of animals.
A unique veterinary clinical specialist career pathway.
- Full time 12 months fixed term, located on Camperdown Campus at the Sydney School of Veterinary Science in The University of Sydney
- Opportunity to inspire and train the next generation of veterinary leaders, engage with the school ranked #2nd in Australia and #22nd globally, within a world class university
- Base Salary HEO 7/8/9 (38 hours), $108,608 p.a. - $148,748 p.a. + 17% superannuation + generous loading when registered as a specialist (a total package up to 200,140 p.a. for Specialist at HEO9)
About the opportunity
Your chance to have a marked impact on the future of the veterinary profession as you care for the lives of animals.
We are seeking to appoint a Registrar/Senior Registrar/Veterinary Specialist in Diagnostic Imaging, to join a team of outstanding world class clinical specialist colleagues at the University Veterinary Teaching Hospital Sydney. Diagnostic Imaging is a core discipline in the training of the future leaders of the veterinary profession through a globally accredited training program, the Doctor of Veterinary Medicine as well as grow this essential discipline through supporting residency training. The University Veterinary Teaching Hospital is one of the core teaching and research facilities in the Sydney School of Veterinary Science a globally ranked veterinary school.
The academic environment is different to commercial specialty practice with the academic mission of teaching and research being central to operations. You are not focused on caseload benchmarks of revenue targets but rather make a difference, leaving a legacy for the profession, and undertaking research that changes the lives of animals.
In this role, you will take an active role in the training of undergraduate and postgraduate students working in the University Veterinary Teaching Hospital. Depending on your level you will be expected to assist in and be part of the development & implementation of the Unit’s Strategic Plan actively contributing to its management, including contributing to the financial viability of the Unit. You will also be expected to pursue clinical research to further knowledge of your specialty.
The key benefits:
- be inspired everyday
- be part of developing the next generation of veterinarians
- be stimulated by an academic environment focused on teaching and research
- opportunity for you to learn and enhance your skills and experience in a unique teaching and research environment of a Veterinary Teaching hospital
- opportunity for a different professional pathway where you can leverage your clinical expertise, enhance work life balance, and find purpose in academic opportunities
- salary packaging available
- 15% veterinary clinical specialist loading is available once registered as specialist by NSW Veterinary Practitioners Board
- compressed work week available
- generous relocation allowance and access to research and publication support
- gain the recognition of working in a leading Veterinary School in an outstanding University.
We support and encourage excellence in all aspects of the role, from patient care, teaching and learning, and research. The School values highly the tenants of mutual support, respect, empathy, collegiality and integrity.
Join an organization that has over a hundred years of experience in clinical training and innovation. Be part of the transformational process supporting students as they transition to become veterinarians. A privileged role for someone who wants more than a job- come and do work with a purpose.
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- supervise undergraduate and postgraduate clinical trainees on Diagnostic Imaging Rotation assist with the training of DVM students including clinical rounds, lectures, tutorials and practical classes where required
- assist with co-ordination of large and small animal radiology teaching at Sydney and Camden
- take a leadership role with the training of undergraduate and postgraduate students and residents, including practical instruction and demonstrations at Sydney and Camden campuses.
- provide high quality veterinary diagnostic imaging to small animals
- participate actively in dissemination of knowledge through self-instructions and continuing education by attending clinical rounds and journal club
- prepare and deliver lectures, seminars, tutorials, practical classes, demonstrations and other types of sessions necessary for the teaching of diagnostic imaging
- assist in marking, assessment, and student feedback.
Since the founding of veterinary science in 1910, the mission of the Sydney School of Veterinary Science (SSVS) has been to provide the nation’s best training in the health, welfare, and conservation of animals. The School is internationally accredited with the American Veterinary Medical Association, Canadian Veterinary Medical Association, the Australasian Veterinary Boards Council and Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (UK) by reciprocal agreement. Veterinary science at Sydney is ranked 2nd in the Southern Hemisphere and 22nd in the world, according to the QS World University Subject Rankings 2022.
To learn more about the Sydney School of Veterinary Science click here
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values and are looking for a Registrar/Senior Registrar/Veterinary Specialist in Diagnostic Imaging who has:
Registrar in Diagnostic Imaging (HEO Level 7) who is a veterinarian working with responsibility for his/her own clinical work and outcomes; and who has involvement with clinical instruction, contributes to consultancy and/or research led by senior staff and provides high quality primary accession of clinical services. In addition, you must have:
a degree in veterinary science registrable in New South Wales, Australia.
a recent completion of a recognised residency program in Diagnostic Imaging
advanced skills in diagnostic imaging, and a demonstrated ability to work as part of a team and independently.
Senior Registrar in Diagnostic Imaging, (HEO Level 8) who is a veterinarian with responsibilities within a specific area of clinical practice, and who provides leadership in his/her chosen discipline as well as being involved in both undergraduate and postgraduate clinical training programs. In addition, you must have:
- a degree in veterinary science registrable in NSW
- completion of a recognised residency or intern program in diagnostic imaging and registration with the NSW Veterinary Practitioners Board
- completed at least 12 months experience in diagnostic imaging since completion of the residency.
Veterinary Specialist in Diagnostic Imaging (HEO level 9) who is a veterinarian with at least partial responsibility for the management of a unit or division, including the management of a range of staff working within the relevant discipline or sub-discipline, who has:
a degree in veterinary science registrable in NSW
a diplomate ECVS or Diplomate ACVS or Fellowship of the ANZCVS permitting registration with the NSW Veterinary Scientists Board as a Specialist in diagnostic imaging
experience in supervision of undergraduate and postgraduate clinical trainees on diagnostic imaging.
The commencement level will be determined based on the candidate’s skills, experience and knowledge.
To keep our community safe, please be aware of our COVID safety precautions which form our conditions of entry for all staff, students and visitors coming to campus.
Sponsorship / work rights for Australia
Please note: Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
Your employment is conditional upon the completion of all the role required pre-employment or background checks in terms satisfactory to the University. Similarly, your ongoing employment is conditional upon the satisfactory maintenance of all relevant clearances and background check requirements. If you do not meet these conditions, the University may take any necessary step, including the termination of your employment.
At the University of Sydney, our shared values include diversity and inclusion and we strive to be a place where everyone can thrive. We are committed to creating a University community which reflects the wider community that we serve. We deliver on this commitment through our people and culture programs, as well as key strategies to increase participation and support the careers of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People , women , people living with a disability , people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds , and those who identify as LGBTIQ . We welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds.
How to apply
Applications (including a cover letter, CV, and any additional supporting documentation) can be submitted via the Apply button at the top of the page.
If you are a current employee of the University or a contingent worker with access to Workday, please login into your Workday account and navigate to the Career icon on your Dashboard. Click on USYD Find Jobs and apply.
For a confidential discussion about the role, or if you require reasonable adjustment or any documents in alternate formats, please contact Helen Efstathiou, Recruitment Consultant. Recruitment Operations, Human Resources on +61 2 8627 7137 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.
Click to view the Position Description for
Applications CloseMonday 20 February 2023 11:59 PM
Ref 1980/23 Animal Welfare Officer, Research, Ethics And Integrity, University of Western Sydney, Australia, 1 day ago
Werrington South Campus Remuneration Package: $126,502 to $140,431 p.a. Full-Time, Ongoing Position About Western Working at Western Sydney University means you’ll be part of an organisation that’...
Education Support Officer, Australian National University, Australia, 6 days ago
Classification: ANU Officer 5 (Administration) Salary package: 77,399 - 84,434 per annum, plus 17% Superannuation Location: Sydney, NSW Terms: Part time (21 hours per week), Fixed term (up to 3 ye...
Business Systems Supervisor Roseworthy Veterinary Hospital, University of Adelaide, Australia, about 17 hours ago
Job no:511512 Work type:Continuing - Full-time Campus:Regional South Australia Categories:Administration, HEO5, Management (HE05) $74,289 - $82,603 per annum plus an employer contribution of 17% s...
Ref 1791/23 Lecturer Academy, Office Of The Pro Vice Chancellor, Engagement & Advancement, University of Western Sydney, Australia, about 2 hours ago
Western Sydney University Internal Applicants Only Remuneration: $78,682 to $92,843 p.a. (pro-rata rates) Part-Time (0.6 FTE), Fixed-Term Position for 12 months based at Hawkesbury Campus Western ...
Senior Lecturer Building/Construction Management, Central Queensland University, Australia, about 13 hours ago
Senior Lecturer - Building/Construction Management Apply now » Date: 15-Mar-2023 Job Location: Sydney, NSW, AU Company: Central Queensland University About this Opportunity Continuing, Full Time S...
Ref 420/23 Lecturer In Clinical Psychology, School Of Psychology, University of Western Sydney, Australia, 7 days ago
Westerns Bankstown, Parramatta and Kingswood Campuses Remuneration: $131,136 to $154,738 p.a. Full-Time, Ongoing Position x1 Full-Time, Ongoing Lecturer in Clinical Psychology About Western Wester...