- Casual positions
- Multi-campus opportunities
- $49.68 per hour
Various campus locations, Sydney NSW
Casual eligibility list
Join our team and make a lasting impact on students' academic journeys by helping them develop the critical academic literacy skills they need to excel.
Western Sydney University is a top-ranking, modern, forward-thinking institution committed to excellence in education, research, and community impact. Our core values of Boldness, Fairness, Integrity, and Excellence foster a dynamic, inclusive, and innovative culture focused on student-centered excellence. With 3,000 dedicated staff members, you can thrive professionally while making a meaningful impact. Discover exciting opportunities with us!
About the role
The University Library has exciting opportunities for teachers who are passionate about academic literacy and improving the writing skills of our students. We are currently seeking dedicated Study Smart Writing Casuals to join our team and help our students reach their full potential. The Study Smart Writing Casuals facilitate workshops both online and in-person, as well as consult with students on a one-on-one basis on academic literacy and assignment skills. In this role you will play a crucial part in developing students' reading, writing, critical thinking, and study skills, preparing them for academic success. You will work with students across various disciplines, providing targeted instruction to enhance their academic literacy skills.
Study Smart Writing Casuals will:
• Prepare and/or deliver workshop activities, which may include a blend of learning experiences, including face-to-face and online tutorials and practical classes.
• Mark and assess students’ learning as directed by the Academic Literacy Coordinator, and consistent with WSU policy, utilising provided templates if required.
• Manage class lists, attendance records, and student assessment results, and submit these to the Coordinator in a timely manner.
• Develop and maintain good communication with students and staff.
• Demonstrate superior written and oral communication skills for administrative and professional activity.
• Attend an initial training for teaching staff along with additional training sessions as required.
• Consult with students on an individual or small group basis, providing general advice regarding study skills, interpreting tasks, using resources, writing essays, and completing other types of assignments.
• Respond to student queries and work with students to identify gaps in learning.
• Assist students in interpreting marking criteria and standards.
• Help students to understand assignment feedback.
• Suggest strategies for students to improve their writing skills and communication abilities.
• Direct students to the Study Smart website, Library website, librarians, Learning Guides, and vUWS sites for further information and resources.
• Refer students to other relevant student support services when appropriate.
• Record statistical data as required.
• Perform other administrative tasks from time to time as required.
Further Information About the Role - Qualifications, Experience and Skills
1. A postgraduate qualification in literacy or language, or equivalent experience.
2. Demonstrated experience in quality teaching at tertiary level, including the ability to facilitate learning in small and large groups, and experience in using contemporary methods of curriculum design, development, delivery, and assessment, including the use of e-learning methods.
3. Demonstrated excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to influence and establish effective working relationships with a diverse range of stakeholders.
4. Familiarity with current academic literacy research and best practices.
5. A demonstrated understanding of the principles of equal opportunity and equity.
6. A TESOL qualification or equivalent would be advantageous.
If this sounds like an opportunity for you, we want to hear from you! Apply now ensuring you carefully address each of the selection criteria in your application.
Remuneration: Higher Education Worker Level 6 – $49.68 per hour (casual rate plus 25% casual loading).
Position Enquiries: Please direct specific enquiries regarding the role to Dr Lisa Worthington, Academic Literacy Coordinator (Workshops) via email [email protected]
Recruitment Enquiries: Specific enquiries or issues with your application may be directed to the Recruitment Team at [email protected]
Closing Date: 8:30pm on Tuesday 28 November 2023
Working Rights in Australia - Eligibility
You must provide evidence of your working rights in Australia at time of application
Please note, only those applications submitted via the WSU online recruitment system will be accepted.
Western Sydney University is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ, and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent are encouraged.
If you require assistance in using the System, please email [email protected] or phone the Recruitment Helpline on (02) 9852 5422. Please note, we do not accept applications for roles to the [email protected] email. This site is optimised for all the latest browsers including Edge, Safari, Firefox and Chrome. Note that earlier versions of any of the browsers mentioned are supported, but likely to demonstrate slower response times.
Education Support Officer (Clinical), UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY, United Kingdom, 16 days ago
Utilise your exceptional stakeholder engagement and administrative coordination skills to support the delivery of clinical teaching and placements in the Western Baludarri Health Precinct Facilita...
Casual Security Officer (Evergreen), The University of Queensland, Australia, 20 days ago
Property and Facilities Division Be part of an organisation with a meaningful purpose and impact Join a university ranked in the world’s top 50 Multiple Casual Opportunities Based at the pictures...
Lecturer (Teaching And Administration) In Primary Teacher Education: Literacy, University of Canterbury, New Zealand, about 9 hours ago
Te Kaupeka Ako | Faculty of Education Te Kura Whakangungu Kaiako | School of Teacher Education Located in Ōtautahi | Christchurch, Aotearoa | New Zealand Full-time 37.5 hours per week (1.0 FTE) Fi...
Lecturer (Education Focused), University of Sydney, Australia, 14 days ago
Part time, 15 hours per week, continuing position Make a significant contribution to student education at the Sydney Dental School, based in Sydney Dental Hospital and the Bligh Simulation Centre ...
Casual Teaching Staff, Southern Cross University, Australia, 44 minutes ago
Join a university that’s transforming tomorrow, today Deliver education differently Competitive hourly rate About us Southern Cross University is a dynamic, ambitious institution focussed on its p...
Instructor, Literacy Fundamentals, SAIT Polytechnic, Canada, 20 days ago
Instructor, Literacy Fundamentals Calgary, AB Academic – Academic Services / SAFA Adjunct - Non-Approved Program / On-site Apply for this job Academic Services is focused on supporting SAIT’s scho...