Job no: 0055492
Role type: Part-time; Continuing
Faculty: Fine Arts and Music
Department/School: Melbourne Conservatorium of Music
Salary: Level B – $114,645 – $136,136 p.a. pro rata plus 17% super & Level C - $140,433 - $161,926 p.a. pro rata plus 17% super
- Teaching diverse improvised music subjects, contributing to program goals, and maintaining a jazz/improvisation professional practice profile, with focus on the jazz theory, arranging and ensemble curriculum
- Opportunity for a role in a vibrant music department, with ample room for active engagement in professional practice and music projects
- Salary packaging, subsidised health and wellbeing services, fitness and cultural clubs, Myki discounts, and a 25% discount on graduate courses to our staff and their immediate families!
About the Role
The Melbourne Conservatorium of Music is looking for an experienced Lecturer in Music (Jazz & Improvisation - Instrumental) to inspire and teach students in creative improvised music. The ideal candidate should have a strong performance and teaching background and contribute to program objectives. This is a Teaching Specialist position, with potential for research involvement for exceptional candidates, at Level B, possibly Level C for highly qualified individuals.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Prepare and deliver Jazz and Improvisation curriculum content, including potential contributions to Breadth subjects
- Coordinate subjects and manage associated administrative tasks, as assigned
- Engage with external partnerships for workshops, recordings, and performances
Who We Are Looking For
We are seeking an experienced individual skilled in jazz theory, aural skills, composition, and ensemble direction. They must excel at motivating and coordinating student performances, communicate effectively, and uphold program integrity. For Level C applicants, a record matching Level C expectations is necessary.
You will also have:
- A postgraduate degree in a relevant aspect of Jazz and Improvisation practice (a doctorate is preferred, completed or in progress)
- Extensive professional performance experience, demonstrated expertise and public profile, and contemporary vision in the performance and development of improvised music
- Experience and demonstrated ability in teaching and coordinating relevant performance and lecture-based subjects at the undergraduate level, and preferably also in working with graduate students
- Connections in the Australian creative music community
For further information regarding responsibilities and requirements, please refer to the attached PD.
This position requires the incumbent to hold a current and valid Working with Children Check to ensure the University provides a safe environment for everyone.
Please note: Visa sponsorship is not available for this position. This role requires current valid work rights for Australia.
Your New Team – Melbourne Conservatorium of Music
The Melbourne Conservatorium of Music, Australia's premier music institution, resides in the state-of-the-art Ian Potter Southbank Centre, fostering creativity and shaping the future of music. Located in Melbourne's Arts Precinct, this nine-story facility promotes collaborative arts endeavors.
Our internationally acclaimed faculty guides students to become music leaders, enriched by global connections and partnerships. With a rich history and a commitment to excellence, we offer a vibrant musical community and invite you to experience our concerts, lectures, and global network, making us a leading force in music education and research in the Asia-Pacific region and beyond.
What We Offer You!
In addition, we offer the opportunity to be part of a vibrant community and enjoy a range of benefits, including generous leave provisions, salary packaging, health and well-being services and discounts on graduate courses. For more information, check out our benefits page!
About the University of Melbourne
We’re tightly connected with the community, both at home and abroad. We take pride in our people, who all contribute to our mission to benefit society through the transformative impact of education and research. Discover more via our website and stay connected with our stories and people on LinkedIn .
The University of Melbourne values the unique backgrounds, experiences and contributions that each person brings to our community and welcomes and celebrates diversity. First Nations people, those identifying as LGBTQIA+, parents, carers, people of all ages, abilities and genders, and people of diverse ethnicity, nationality and faith are encouraged to apply. Our aim is to create a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live. For more information please visit our Diversity and Inclusion page.
We are dedicated to ensuring barrier free and inclusive practices to recruit the most talented candidates. If you require any reasonable adjustments with the recruitment process, please contact the email address listed at the bottom of the page.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Applicants
We aspire to be the University of choice for Indigenous Australians, with unprecedented investment to attract, nurture and retain Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students and staff. Tangible support through a range of programs and initiatives will ensure that you personally succeed and flourish while at the University of Melbourne.
For further information, including our 2023-2027 Indigenous strategy please visit -https://about.unimelb.edu.au/reconciliation/murmuk-djerring
If you feel this role is right for you, please apply with the following documents:
- Cover Letter outlining your interest and experience
- For level B applicants: The responses against the Selection Criteria.^ (found in the Position Description)
- For level C applicants: The responses against the Selection Criteria and the additional level C criteria^ (found in the Position Description)
- Links to selected examples of creative work
^For information to help you with compiling short statements to answer the selection criteria and competencies, please go to http://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/selection-criteria
If you have any questions regarding the recruitment process, please feel free to contact Alex Spezza via email at Faculties-TA@unimelb.edu.au , ensuring that you include the Position Number and the Job Title as the subject. Please do not share your application to this email address.
If you have any particular questions regarding the job please follow the details listed on the Position Description.Position Description
Associate Lecturer In Biotechnology, UNIVERSITY OF MELBOURNE, Australia, 13 days ago
20 Nov 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company UNIVERSITY OF MELBOURNE Research Field Biological sciences Researcher Profile Established Researcher (R3) Country Australia Application Deadline 4 ...
Lecturer In Medicine And Surgery, UNIVERSITY OF MELBOURNE, Australia, 1 day ago
2 Dec 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company UNIVERSITY OF MELBOURNE Research Field Medical sciences Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) First Stage Researcher (R1) Country Australia ...
Lecturer/ Senior Lecturer In Law, Deakin University, Australia, about 16 hours ago
Apply now Job no:545995 Work type:Full-time Location:Flexible, Geelong - City, Melbourne - Burwood Categories:Law Based at our Melbourne, Burwood Campus or Waterfront, Geelong Campus Full-time and...
Chair Of Psychiatry St. Vincent's Health, UNIVERSITY OF MELBOURNE, Australia, 12 days ago
21 Nov 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company UNIVERSITY OF MELBOURNE Research Field Psychological sciences Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) First Stage Researcher (R1) Country Aus...
Associate Professor / Professor, Aboriginal And Torres Strait Islander Health, UNIVERSITY OF MELBOURNE, Australia, 6 days ago
25 Nov 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company UNIVERSITY OF MELBOURNE Research Field Sociology Ethics in health sciences Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) First Stage Researcher (R1...
Clinical Programs Lecturer, UNIVERSITY OF MELBOURNE, Australia, 13 days ago
18 Nov 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company UNIVERSITY OF MELBOURNE Research Field Juridical sciences Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) First Stage Researcher (R1) Country Austral...