28 Aug 2023
- Research Field
- Researcher Profile
Recognised Researcher (R2)
First Stage Researcher (R1)
- Application Deadline
6 Sep 2023 - 00:00 (UTC)
- Type of Contract
- Job Status
- Is the job funded through the EU Research Framework Programme?
Not funded by an EU programme
- Is the Job related to staff position within a Research Infrastructure?
- Full-time, 3 years Fixed Term position
- Salary Academic Level B + 17% Superannuation
- Based at the Melbourne CBD campus, but may be required to work and/or be based at other campuses of the University
About the Role
The Lecturer in Law will be required to teach and conduct classes in courses relevant to their field of expertise and assist in the academic and administrative, consultative and coordination tasks involved with these courses.
Academics with experience in clinical legal education and who can oversee expansion of the clinical legal education programs in the Juris Doctor and the Bachelor of Laws, including double degrees, should apply. The Level B Lecturer will also have expertise in any of the Priestley 11 subject areas (contracts, torts, evidence, civil procedure, criminal law and procedure, equity and trusts, constitutional and administrative law, statutory interpretation, company, property law and ethics and professional responsibility).
To be successful in this position, you'll have:
- Evidence of casual teaching in an Australian University and must not have been employed on a continuing basis at an Australian University within the past three years.
- Demonstrated ability to prepare and teach programs at both undergraduate and post-graduate levels, including online delivery, and to produce high quality curriculum or program materials in two or more of the Priestley 11 subject areas: contracts, torts, evidence, civil procedure, criminal law and procedure, equity and trusts, constitutional and administrative law, company, property law, statutory interpretation and professional ethics and responsibility. Experience in teaching international law and law and technology subject areas will also be considered. Subject areas of particular need are: Administrative Law, Company Law, Statutory Interpretation, Technology and the Law.
- Demonstrated capacity to work effectively with and to negotiate sensitively with students especially on issues related to effective learning.
- Demonstrated capacity to liaise with industry to generate partnerships that will enhance clinical legal education programs.
- Demonstrated progression towards gaining research funding, managing research projects, publishing the outcomes, and/or building a profile as an excellent researcher.
- Ability to generate alternative funding projects through effective liaison with industry and government.
- Ability to work autonomously whilst displaying a strong commitment to work in a team environment, including the demonstrated ability to confidently and effectively work with colleagues, project team leaders, and industry partners.
- Show a growing publication pipeline with high quality outputs in the area of expertise (including high quality refereed Law journals and/ or related fields
- Demonstrated high level written and verbal communication skills.
- Qualification in undergraduate law or a Juris Doctor and admission to practice as an Australian lawyer.
- To be eligible to apply, candidates must have performed casual teaching work at an Australian University and must not have been employed on a continuing/permanent basis at an Australian University within the past three years. Applicants who have previously been employed on a fixed-term basis at an Australian University are eligible for this position, however the requirement remains to also have performed casual teaching work as per the above parameters.
Please Note: Appointment to this position is subject to passing a Working with Children and National Police Check.
About the Graduate School of Business and Law
The Graduate School of Business & Law (GSBL), within the College of Business and Law, commenced operations in January 2010. In July 2010 the GSBL moved to the new Emily McPherson premises, opening an exciting new phase in RMIT's development of professional programs for the experienced, post-graduate business market.
The RMIT Juris Doctor Program (JD) was introduced in July 2007 in RMIT and has become a part of the GSBL in 2010. The JD provides non-law graduates the opportunity to obtain a qualification that leads to entry into the legal profession. In 2021, RMIT offered three undergraduate law programs, the Bachelor of Laws; Bachelor Laws/Bachelor of Business (Information Systems); Bachelor of Law/Bachelor of Business (Economics and Finance). In 2022, the Bachelor of Accounting/Bachelor of Laws was added to the undergraduate law program.
The Law program features clinic and internship opportunities for both JD and undergraduate law programs, and staff engage in innovative and quality research with social impact.
Click here for further details about the School.
Please submit your CV, covering letter, and a separate document addressing the Key Selection Criteria for this position by clicking on the 'Apply' link below.
For further information about this position, please see Position Description hyperlink below or contact Kassie McKnight, Senior Talent Acquisition Advisor via email on email@example.com
Position Description - Lecturer, Law (ECDF)
Applications close on Wednesday, 6th September at 11.59pm.
About RMIT University
RMIT is a multi-sector university of technology, design and enterprise with more than 96,000 students and close to 10,000 staff globally. The University's mission is to help shape the world through research, innovation and engagement, and to create transformative experiences for students to prepare them for life and work.
Why work at RMIT University
Our people make everything at the University possible. We encourage new approaches to work and learning, stimulating change to drive positive impact. Find out more about working at RMIT University, what we stand for and why we are an Employer of Choice.
We want to attract those who will make a difference. View RMIT's impressive standings in university rankings.
Bring Your Whole Self to Work
We are better for our diversity . When we listen to those who are different to us, or challenge us, we grow stronger together. When we feel like we belong, we can achieve so much more. We respect each other, embrace our differences and build a sense of belonging in our team and beyond.
We are proud that our dedication to diversity has been recognised by a broad spectrum of external organisations. Visit our Linkedin Life pages to learn more and see some of our most recent wins.
RMIT has a strong dhumbali (commitment) to the employment, development and retention of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people within a culturally safe environment; we strongly encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
At RMIT, we are committed to supporting adjustments throughout the recruitment and selection process, as well as during employment. We actively support and encourage people with disability to apply to RMIT. To discuss adjustment requirements, please contact Kassie (Senior Talent Acquisition Advisor), via firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our Careers page for more contact information - https://www.rmit.edu.au/careers
RMIT is an equal opportunity employer committed to being a child safe organisation. We are dedicated to attracting, retaining and developing our people regardless of gender identity, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability and age. Applications are encouraged from all sectors of the community and we strongly encourage applications from the Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander community.
We are a Circle Back Initiative Employer - we commit to respond to every applicant.
- Number of offers available
- RMIT UNIVERSITY
- Postal Code
Where to apply
Manager, Planning And Operations, RMIT University, Australia, about 21 hours ago
Overview: Full-time, Fixed Term position until December 2025 Salary HEW 9 + 17% Superannuation Based at the Melbourne CBD campus, and hybrid ways of working About You Reporting to the Director, RM...
Manager, Philanthropy, RMIT University, Australia, about 7 hours ago
Overview: Full-time, Continuing position Salary Level HEW 9 + 17% Superannuation and Flexible Working Arrangements Based at the Melbourne CBD campus, and hybrid ways of working About You The Mana...
Casual It Operations & Support Officer, RMIT University, Australia, 16 days ago
Overview: Salary D1 scale, hourly rate: $46.95 Casual, Part time role till June 2024 (3 days per week Great office location - Bourke Street Melbourne Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples ...
Senior Communications Advisor (Digital), RMIT University, Australia, about 7 hours ago
Overview: Full-time, fixed term contract position until end 2024 Salary HEW 7 + 17% Superannuation and Flexible Working Arrangements Based at the Melbourne CBD campus and hybrid ways of working Ab...
Casual Facilities Assistant (Internal Only), RMIT University, Australia, 8 days ago
Overview: Casual role, hourly rate $30.44 Adhoc Casual (no fixed hours) Vacancy is open to current RMIT Staff only Great office location – Bourke Street Melbourne Our Values - Passion | Impact | I...
Technology & Content Advisor, RMIT University, Australia, about 7 hours ago
Overview: Full-time, Continuing position Salary HEW 6 + 17% Superannuation and Flexible Working Arrangements Based at the Melbourne CBD campus, but may be required to work and/or be based ...