24 May 2023
UNIVERSITY OF MELBOURNE
- Research Field
- Researcher Profile
First Stage Researcher (R1)
- Application Deadline
7 Jun 2023 - 00:00 (UTC)
- Type of Contract
- Job Status
- Is the job funded through the EU Research Framework Programme?
Not funded by an EU programme
- Is the Job related to staff position within a Research Infrastructure?
Role type: Part time; Fixed-term for 2 years
Faculty: Faculty of Architecture, Building and Planning
- Level A – $80,258 – $108,906 p.a. plus 17% super (pro rata for part-time)
- Level B – $114,645 – $136,136 p.a. plus 17% super (pro rata for part-time)
The University of Melbourne would like to acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campuses are situated, the Wurundjeri and Boon Wurrung Peoples, the Yorta Yorta Nation, the Dja Dja Wurrung People. We acknowledge that the land on which we meet and learn was the place of age-old ceremonies, of celebration, initiation and renewal, and that the local Aboriginal Peoples have had and continue to have a unique role in the life of these lands.
About - Faculty of Architecture, Building and Planning
The Faculty of Architecture, Building and Planning is the leading educational and research institution in the Asia-Pacific region addressing the design and realisation of environments. It actively seeks to extend the linkages between education, research and practice in the built environment, and maintains excellent and extensive relationships with members of the built environment professions, government, professional associations and the wider community.
The Faculty has over 200 staff and 3000 students, one third of whom are international. It is responsible for the undergraduate Bachelor of Design degree, and offers majors in architecture, landscape architecture, property, construction, and urban planning.
The Faculty’s graduate school, the Melbourne School of Design (MSD), teaches accredited masters courses across the professional disciplines of Architecture, Construction Management, Landscape Architecture, Property, Urban Design and Urban Planning.
About the Role
The Faculty of Architecture Building and Planning (incorporating the Melbourne School of Design) at the University of Melbourne seeks to make appointments in the field of architectural design for Creative Practitioners or Industry Fellows. We are seeking practitioners who can demonstrate innovative forms of creative practice and design research with a track record in design studio teaching.
The successful practitioners will demonstrate both accomplishment and continued success in their relevant areas of expertise, with a record of recognised professional work. They will have a proven capability to make a significant contribution to teaching, research, and engagement in and around built environment domains. Ideally the Creative Practitioner will hold dual roles inside and outside the University, with significant time allotted to both academic and professional tasks balanced with time in practice. For the in-University component of this, it is expected that 0.4 full-time equivalent (FTE) per week will be devoted to the academic role, encompassing teaching design and delivery, teaching administration, student contact, and broader faculty engagement.
Creative Practitioners will have high-level experience and expertise as a recognised professional in an area of architecture and design practice. A central responsibility of these positions is integration of academic scholarship with creative practice.
- Initiating and developing high-quality taught subjects (Studios) for undergraduate and graduate programs.
- Successfully preparing and delivering seminars and workshops at undergraduate and graduate levels, including supporting materials.
- Undertaking consultation, coaching and assessment with students, including marking and reviews as appropriate.
- Contributing to developing links with the profession and other universities, both nationally and internationally, to support research, teaching and engagement relating to your area of specialisation.
You will bring a high-level of interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to establish strong working relationships with a range of internal and external stakeholders (including students and colleagues) as well as being able to develop and maintain strong links within the profession, industry and government agencies. You will show an ability in undertaking practice-based research, and/or attracting industry and government project funding. You will also have the ability to promote the discipline both within the University, industry and to the greater community.
You will also have:
- A PhD or equivalent extensive practice experience in a relevant Architectural Design field – evidenced by published projects or awards for practice-based work.
- An experienced industry practitioner who will bring specific skills and knowledge from their aligned professional setting related to the practice of architecture.
- Demonstrable teaching experience and skills appropriate for undergraduate and graduate content delivery.
- Administration skills and experience, and willingness to undertake a variety of administrative roles commensurate with the level, position and its core activities.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and engage positively and respectfully with colleagues and external stakeholders
To ensure the University continues to provide a safe environment for everyone, this position requires the incumbent to hold a current and valid Working with Children Check.
Please note: To be considered for this role you must have current valid work rights for Australia.
About the University
The University of Melbourne is consistently ranked amongst the leading universities in the world. We are proud of our people, our commitment to research and teaching excellence, and our global engagement.
Benefits of Working with Us
In addition to having the opportunity to grow and be challenged, and to be part of a vibrant campus life, our people enjoy a range of rewarding benefits:
- Flexible working arrangements, generous personal, parental and cultural leave
- Competitive remuneration, 17% super, salary packaging and leave loading
- Free and subsidised health and wellbeing services, and access to fitness and cultural clubs
- Discounts on a wide range of products and services including Myki cards and Qantas Club
- Career development opportunities and 25% off graduate courses for staff and their immediate families
To find out more, visit https://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/staff-benefits .
We value the unique backgrounds, experiences and contributions that each person brings to our community and encourage and celebrate diversity. First Nations people, those identifying as LGBTQIA+, females, people of all ages, with disabilities and culturally and linguistically diverse people are encouraged to apply. Our aim is to create a workforce that reflects the community in which we live.
If you feel this role is right for you, please submit your application including a brief cover letter, your resume and your responses against the selection criteria^ (found in the Position Description) for the role.
We are dedicated to ensuring barrier free and inclusive practices to recruit the most talented candidates. If you require any reasonable adjustments with the recruitment process, please contact
^For information to help you with compiling short statements to answer the selection criteria and competencies, please go to http://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/selection-criteria
Applications close: 7th June 2023 11:55 PM AUS Eastern Daylight Time
Position description: 0059575_Lecturer Creative Practitioner_PD.pdf
- Number of offers available
- UNIVERSITY OF MELBOURNE
- Postal Code
Where to apply
Lecturer In Transport Planning, University of Melbourne, Australia, 1 day ago
Job no: 0059770 Location: Parkville Role type: Full-time - Continuing Faculty: Architecture, Building and Planning Salary: Level B – $114,645 – $136,136 p.a. plus 17% super. The appointee will tea...
Research And Pedagogy Support Bel+T, University of Melbourne, Australia, 1 day ago
Job no: 0053424 Location: Parkville Role type: Part-time; Fixed-term for 2 years Faculty: Faculty of Architecture Building and Planning Salary: Level A - $80,258 to $108,906 per annum (pro rata) p...
Lecturer In Learning & Teaching, University of Melbourne, Australia, 1 day ago
Job no: 0045956 Location: Parkville Role type: Full-time, Continuing Faculty: Architecture, Building and Planning Salary: Level B – $114,645 - $136,136 p.a. plus 17% super The Faculty of Architect...
Head Of Department Of Medical Education, University of Melbourne, Australia, 1 day ago
Job no: 0026139 Location: Parkville Role type: Full time Faculty: Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences Department/School: Melbourne Medical School Salary: An attractive salary packag...
Lecturer In Architectural Design, University of Melbourne, Australia, 1 day ago
Job no: 0047415 Location: Parkville Role type: Full-time; Continuing Faculty: Faculty of Architecture, Building & Planning Salary: Level B – $114,645 – $136,136 p.a. plus 17% super The Faculty of ...
Coordinator, Planning And Resources, RMIT University, Australia, about 12 hours ago
Overview: Full-time, Fixed Term position until October 2024 Salary Level HEW 6 + 17% Superannuation and Flexible Working Arrangements Based at the Melbourne CBD campus, and hybrid ways of working ...