Job no: 0058881
Role type: Full time; Fixed-term for 24 months
Faculty: Faculty of Science
Salary: UOM 5 – $76,886 - $88,312 p.a. plus 17% super
The University of Melbourne would like to acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campuses are situated, the Wurundjeri and Boon Wurrung Peoples, the Yorta Yorta Nation, the Dja Dja Wurrung People. We acknowledge that the land on which we meet and learn was the place of age-old ceremonies, of celebration, initiation and renewal, and that the local Aboriginal Peoples have had and continue to have a unique role in the life of these lands.
About the Faculty of Science
Science at Melbourne is a global leader across fundamental and impactful scientific research and education. Science begins with curiosity, and we are dedicated to understanding the universe from the level of sub-atomic particles to the solar system. We aim to be leaders who positively impact the community locally and globally, addressing major societal issues from climate change to disease. Our discoveries help build an understanding of the world around us.
Our strength is our breadth of expertise. We are the second largest faculty in the University comprising seven schools: Agriculture, Food, Forest & Ecosystems Sciences, BioSciences, Chemistry, Geography, Earth & Atmospheric Sciences, Mathematics & Statistics, Physics and Veterinary Science.
About the Role
The Laboratory Officer will be responsible for managing the laboratories at the Werribee campus, within the Faculty of Science at the University of Melbourne.
The role is responsible for the day to day safety, compliance and operations of the Faculty’s laboratories across a range of veterinary disciplines. Reporting to and working under the direction of the relevant manager, this position will work collaboratively with other Laboratory Officers and Laboratory Managers to provide technical support to laboratory activities, and ensure that the Faculty’s laboratories, are safe, compliant and in full operational order. This role does not carry out research activities. The role is also required to contribute to continual development of systems for improved service delivery.
Laboratory Officers are based at the Faculty’s Parkville, Werribee and Dookie campuses. The primary location of the position will be Werribee at the time of appointment, however the position will be expected to work from and attend other sites and campuses from time to time, if required.
- Maintaining laboratory facilities, equipment and materials in optimal operational condition, consistent with all relevant compliance frameworks and accreditation requirements
- Assisting with the induction and training of undergraduate and postgraduate research students and other users or visitors, in the safe and effective operation of equipment and reagents
- Maintaining accurate records and inventories of laboratory activities and assets including induction records, equipment maintenance records and inventories for equipment and chemicals.
- Acting as the First Aid Officer and Warden for the building in which the position is primarily based
You will have a high level of problem solving skills, flexibility, enthusiasm and initiative, along with the ability and willingness to learn new skills and undertake new tasks as required. You will work autonomously and effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary team on a flexible roster to achieve goals and objectives and the ability to work under general direction within a busy and changing environment.
You will also have:
- A relevant degree or an equivalent combination of relevant experience and/or education/training
- Demonstrated knowledge, expertise and experience in scientific procedures and safe operation and troubleshooting of relevant equipment in a teaching or research laboratory setting particularly with regards to the application of chemistry and/or biology in the disciplines of plant, animal, microbiological, food or soil science
- A sound understanding of the regulatory requirements of working in a laboratory including those related to EHS, OGTR, Biosecurity and poisons regulations
- A proven ability to identify and develop systems for service improvement and experience in delivering high-quality customer service
To ensure the University continues to provide a safe environment for everyone, this position requires the incumbent to hold a current and valid Working with Children Check.
Please note: To be considered for this role you must have current valid work rights for Australia.
About the University
The University of Melbourne is consistently ranked amongst the leading universities in the world. We are proud of our people, our commitment to research and teaching excellence, and our global engagement.
Benefits of Working with Us
In addition to having the opportunity to grow and be challenged, and to be part of a vibrant campus life, our people enjoy a range of rewarding benefits:
- Flexible working arrangements, generous personal, parental and cultural leave
- Competitive remuneration, 17% super, salary packaging and leave loading
- Free and subsidised health and wellbeing services, and access to fitness and cultural clubs
- Discounts on a wide range of products and services including Myki cards and Qantas Club
- Career development opportunities and 25% off graduate courses for staff and their immediate families
To find out more, visit https://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/staff-benefits .
We value the unique backgrounds, experiences and contributions that each person brings to our community and encourage and celebrate diversity. First Nations people, those identifying as LGBTQIA+, females, people of all ages, with disabilities and culturally and linguistically diverse people are encouraged to apply. Our aim is to create a workforce that reflects the community in which we live.
If you feel this role is right for you, please submit your application including a brief cover letter, your resume and your responses against the 5 key selection criteria listed below for the role:
^For information to help you with compiling short statements to answer the selection criteria and competencies, please go to http://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/selection-criteria
We are dedicated to ensuring barrier free and inclusive practices to recruit the most talented candidates. If you require any reasonable adjustments with the recruitment process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org .Position Description
Senior Technical Officer, Civil And Environmental, Deakin University, Australia, about 11 hours ago
Apply now Job no:545422 Work type:Full-time Location:Melbourne - Burwood Categories:Technical Based at our Melbourne, Burwood Campus Full-time and Continuing HEW 6 $89,012 - $96,126 (salary effect...
Teaching Specialist, Wellbeing Science, UNIVERSITY OF MELBOURNE, Australia, 24 days ago
26 Aug 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company UNIVERSITY OF MELBOURNE Research Field Educational sciences Psychological sciences Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) First Stage Resear...
Tafe Sessional, Victoria University, Australia, about 4 hours ago
Job Description Make a positive impact on the lives of our students Prepare and deliver quality training and assessment to the future workforce Sessional Teaching Role Available About Us: Victoria...
Associate Professor In Biochemistry And Pharmacology, UNIVERSITY OF MELBOURNE, Australia, 24 days ago
26 Aug 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company UNIVERSITY OF MELBOURNE Research Field Biological sciences Researcher Profile Leading Researcher (R4) Established Researcher (R3) Country Australia...
Senior Technical Officer, Mechanical And Digital Fabrication, Deakin University, Australia, about 11 hours ago
Apply now Job no:545423 Work type:Full-time Location:Melbourne - Burwood Categories:Technical Based at our Melbourne, Burwood Campus Full-time and Continuing HEW 6 $89,012 - $96,126 (salary effect...
Lecturer, Architectural History And Theory, UNIVERSITY OF MELBOURNE, Australia, 24 days ago
26 Aug 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company UNIVERSITY OF MELBOURNE Research Field Architecture History Philosophy Religious sciences Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) First Stage...