- Full-time, Funding Contingent Continuing
- Contribute to the teaching program and delivery of a broad curriculum in Tibetan Buddhism
- Academic Level C Base salary, $ 138,645 - 159,867 + 17% superannuation
The Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences offers one of the most comprehensive and diverse ranges of humanities and social science studies in the Asia Pacific region and is regularly ranked in the top 20 Arts faculties in the world. The School of Languages and Cultures (SLC) offers the widest range of undergraduate and postgraduate language studies in Australia and is a Centre for European, Latin American, Asian and Middle Eastern Studies.
The Asian Studies Program in the School of Languages and Cultures teaches key areas of Asian culture and society, an important aspect of which is Buddhist Studies. We offer the opportunity to join a dynamic group of scholars from Asian Language departments whose teaching and research form the basis of the Asian Studies Program. As well as covering important aspects of contemporary Asia, the Program has a strong commitment to studies of the classical bases of Asian society and languages.
Your key responsibilities will be to:
- maintain a research profile compatible with the school’s research programs through publications and grant applications
- teach and coordinate undergraduate units concerning Tibetan Buddhism, Tibetan language and culture, cultural relations between India, China and Tibet, and Buddhist Studies, including developing materials for teaching and assessment
- participate in teaching collaboration including team-teaching of undergraduate, honours, and postgraduate units in the discipline and in the school when required
- contribute to the teaching of undergraduate Sanskrit
- contribute to the supervision and assessment of honours and postgraduate research students in Buddhist Studies and make an active contribution to the Buddhist Studies research seminars and the running of the UBEF Visiting Professor program
- contribute to academic administration
- participate in the promotion of Buddhist Studies within the wider community.
- work flexibly and collaboratively in a team environment and take on roles in administration in the discipline and School.
We are looking for a Senior Lecturer in Tibetan Buddhism who possesses:
- PhD in the field of Tibetan or Indo-Tibetan Buddhism
- Proficiency in Tibetan and native or near native competency in English. demonstrated experience and commitment to innovative teaching and course development in teaching Tibetan and South Asian Buddhism at undergraduate level
- demonstrated ability to develop and maintain an active research program in Buddhist Studies with an emphasis on Tibetan Buddhism including major research grant applications
- a record of peer-reviewed publications
- capacity to teach and supervise students from various cultural backgrounds
- demonstrated ability to work flexibly and collaboratively in a team environment and to assume roles in administration and planning in the discipline and School
- excellent problem-solving, time management, and interpersonal skills.
Sponsorship / work rights for Australia
Please note: Visa sponsorship is available for this position.
How to apply
Applications (including a cover letter, CV, and any additional supporting documentation) can be submitted via the Apply button at the top of the page.
Click to view the Position Description for this role.
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment
Administration And Communications Coordinator, University of Sydney, Australia, about 7 hours ago
Full-Time, continuing position located at the Camperdown Campus Great opportunity to coordinate general administrative services and school communications activities HEO 6, Base Salary $91,644 - $9...
Lecturer – Middle East And/Or Africa And/Or South Asia History – School Of Humanities And Languages, University of New South Wales, Australia, about 14 hours ago
Apply now Job no:515255 Work type:full time Location:Sydney, NSW Categories:Lecturer Employment Type: Full time – 35 hours per week Duration: 3 years Convertible Tenure track (CTT) Position Type: ...
Associate Professor (Deputy Director) National Perinatal Epidemiology And Statistics Unit, University of New South Wales, Australia, about 13 hours ago
Apply now Job no:515193 Work type:full time Location:Sydney, NSW Categories:Associate Professor 3-Year Fixed Term, Full-time (35 hr/week) appointment. $163K – 179K base (plus 17% superannuation, l...
Postgraduate Teaching Fellow In The School Of Mathematics And Statistics, University of Sydney, Australia, about 7 hours ago
Part-time (7.5 hours per week) 12 months fixed term employment, located on the Camperdown Campus at the School of Mathematics and Statistics Excellent opportunity to develop into the next generati...
Lecturer In Business Law (Education Focused), University of Sydney, Australia, about 7 hours ago
Full-time, continuing 2 Education Focused positions Support and deliver Business Law curriculum across a range of business programs at The University of Sydney Business School Academic Level B rol...
Clinician, University of New South Wales, Australia, about 14 hours ago
Apply now Job no:515597 Work type:part time Location:Sydney, NSW Categories:Clinical/Medical Research One of Australia’s leading research & teaching universities Vibrant campus life with a strong ...