27 May 2023
UNIVERSITY OF NEW SOUTH WALES
- Research Field
- Researcher Profile
Recognised Researcher (R2)
First Stage Researcher (R1)
- Application Deadline
24 Jun 2023 - 00:00 (UTC)
- Type of Contract
- Job Status
- Is the job funded through the EU Research Framework Programme?
Not funded by an EU programme
- Is the Job related to staff position within a Research Infrastructure?
Education Focused Academic- School of Risk & Actuarial Studies
- Employment Type: Full Time 35 hours per week
- Duration: 3-year fixed term
- Academic Level B / Level C ($112,679 onwards + 17% super)
- Location: UNSW Campus, Kensington
About UNSW & Nexus Program:
UNSW isn’t like other places you’ve worked. Yes, we’re a large organisation with a diverse and talented community; a community doing extraordinary things. Together, we are driven to be thoughtful, practical, and purposeful in all we do. Taking this combined approach is what makes our work matter. It’s the reason we’re one of the top 50 universities in the world and a member of Australia’s prestigious Group of Eight. If you want a career where you can thrive, be challenged, and do meaningful work, you’re in the right place.
At UNSW, new educational initiatives are constantly being developed in the PVCESE for implementation in the Faculties and Schools, while many innovations introduced by individual academics, Schools and Faculties have potential for institution-wide application.
The Nexus Program will provide a critical missing link between organisational units at UNSW, connecting faculties to each other and to the PVCESE to develop and implement coordinated solutions to challenges in education and student experience. Through the recruitment of education-related staff distributed throughout UNSW’s Sydney and Canberra-based schools, Nexus Program will provide the Schools and Faculties with extra capacity to enable widespread implementation of educational initiatives. Additionally, it will provide a mechanism for teaching academics to contribute to and provide feedback on centrally developed education programs.
School of Risk & Actuarial Studies
The School of Risk & Actuarial Studies has an established international reputation for excellence in its undergraduate and postgraduate programs in Actuarial Studies, its courses in risk management, data analytics, and in superannuation and pensions, as well as its supervision of Honours and PhD students. The School’s reputation is built on outstanding staff, students and alumni, a strong international research profile and well developed local and international linkages with academics, industry, and government. The school hosts one of the largest actuarial programs globally (>1300 students enrolled) and is globally #1 ranked business school research in risk & insurance and actuarial science research.
Why Your Role Matters:
UNSW’s Education Focussed roles (EF) enable academics to specialise in education and devote their time to delivering high-quality teaching and pursuing initiatives to enhance the educational experience of our students.
The School of Risk & Actuarial is seeking to appoint a 3-year fixed-term Education Focused Academic to successfully drive educational excellence across the school & Faculty. The successful candidate will also have the possibility of joining the NEXUS Fellow program at UNSW.
The role of the EF Academic will report to the Head of School and has no direct reports.
As a Lecturer (Level B):
- Demonstrate and continuously develop a well-defined teaching philosophy that inspires student learning.
- Conduct classes, assess student learning achievements, and support students in postgraduate and undergraduate courses in line with UNSW policy.
- Design and develop learning activities and resources, and assessment and feedback using a range of suitable approaches and learning environments.
- Initiate the development of experimental approaches to teaching and learning with the support of more senior academics.
- Support learning progression with students as individuals (through such activities as one-to-one consultation) and as a cohort (through general course related advice) to achieve positive learning and employability outcomes for students.
- Manage course administration as Course Authority, including academic quality assurance.
- Maintain professional development in pedagogy, disciplinary knowledge, and minimum professional accreditation requirements (where relevant)
- Make a positive contribution to School of Physics meetings and seminars and be a member of School/Faculty committees as required.
As a Senior Lecturer (Level C) -in addition to the above:
- Lead the design/development of experimental approaches to teaching and learning and participate in the exchange of these approaches with colleagues.
- Maintain and develop links within the discipline industry and profession (e.g., contributes to professional development activities)
- Work collaboratively to identify and apply for internal education funding opportunities.
- Actively engage and contribute to UNSW’s Education Focussed community driving educational excellence across the university.
- Work collaboratively with peers across the UNSW in all aspects of academic endeavour, develop learning and teaching strategies and resources and contribute to an exchange of teaching ideas, and mentoring of staff.
As a Nexus Fellow (at either Level B or Level C appointment):
- Contribute to colleagues’ professional development in pedagogy, educational technology, emerging teaching practices and scholarly approaches to teaching through faculty and UNSW programs & initiatives.
- Demonstrate leadership and positively influence educational culture and community in the School and Faculty
- Collaborate with colleagues to implement new institution-wide initiatives that seek to improve learning & teaching.
- Collaborate with other Education Focused Fellows – Nexus Program in the faculty to lead the development of local solutions to current educational challenges.
- Contribute to the operation of the UNSW Education Co-op by providing advice and guidance to colleagues from across the university (approximately one day per month).
- Convene up to one course per year, conduct classes, assess student learning achievements, and support students in postgraduate and undergraduate courses in line with UNSW policy.
You will have:
As a Lecturer (Level B):
- A PhD in a related discipline, and relevant work experience
- Demonstrated experience in teaching and learning design, development, and delivery at undergraduate and/or postgraduate level. Experience teaching second and third-year physics courses is desirable.
- Experience using and/or designing with educational technologies and online delivery methods.
- Evidence of teaching effectiveness and passion for educational excellence (e.g., relevant discipline- based curriculum design and development at a variety of levels and scales)
- Held or have almost obtained professional qualifications in risk management and/or in actuarial studies e.g., Associate of the Actuaries Institute (desirable)
- Demonstrated knowledge of industry or experience of work-integrated learning (desirable)
As a Senior Lecturer (Level C)-In addition to the above:
- Evidence of professional development of teaching practice in self and others with the ability to advance and lead an inclusive culture of excellence in learning and teaching.
- Demonstrated success in initiating curriculum development and improvement.
- Demonstrated experience with industry or work-integrated learning.
- Demonstrated ability to interact with the profession and industry and attract funding for learning and teaching initiatives.
To learn more about this position, and view the comprehensive skills and criteria list, a copy of the Position Description can be found by clicking on the position description button beneath our ad on JOBS@UNSW.
Benefits and Culture:
People are at the core of everything we do. We recognise it is the contributions of our staff who make UNSW one of the best universities in Australia and the world.
Our benefits include:
- Flexible Working Options (work from home, flexible hours etc)
- Career development opportunities
- 17% Superannuation contributions and additional leave loading payments
- Additional 3 days of leave over Christmas period
- Discounts and entitlements (retail, education, fitness)
How to Apply:
Make each day matter with a meaningful career at UNSW.
Upload your CV and include a cover letter addressing the selection criteria as shown in the position description. Please also answer the mandatory questions in the application form.
Applications close: Sunday 25th June 2023 at 11.30pm (Sydney Time)
Get in Touch:
Talent Acquisition Coordinator
Please apply through the application portal and not via the contact above.
For further information about the Nexus Program, please visit our website: https://www.unsw.edu.au/recruitment/nexus
General questions related to the HR process and the Nexus Program can be directed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
UNSW is committed to equity diversity and inclusion. Applications from women, people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, those living with disabilities, members of the LGBTIQ+ community; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged. UNSW provides workplace adjustments for people with disability, and access to flexible work options for eligible staff.
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.
- Number of offers available
- UNIVERSITY OF NEW SOUTH WALES
- Postal Code
Where to apply
Governance & Compliance Officer, University of New South Wales, Australia, 6 days ago
Apply now Job no:519186 Work type:full time Location:Sydney, NSW Categories:Information Technology Full time continuing role in UNSW IT Develop, lead and manage governance and compliance systems a...
Head Of Project Delivery, University of New South Wales, Australia, 3 days ago
Apply now Job no:519874 Work type:full time Location:Sydney, NSW Categories:Information Technology, Professional Leadership Full time, continuing role as Head of Project Delivery, within UNSW IT S...
Senior Research Officer – Aboriginal Or Torres Strait Islander Identified Role The Kirby Institute, University of New South Wales, Australia, 9 days ago
Apply now Job no:519263 Work type:full time Location:Sydney, NSW Categories:Research Administration support Senior Research Officer – Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander Identified role - The Kir...
Research Officer – The Kirby Institute, University of New South Wales, Australia, 12 days ago
Apply now Job no:519220 Work type:full time Location:Sydney, NSW Categories:Research Administration support Research Officer – The Kirby Institute Employment Type: Full-time (35 hour week) Duratio...
Workshop Assistant, University of New South Wales, Australia, 4 days ago
Apply now Job no:518949 Work type:casual Location:Sydney, NSW Categories:Administration, Student Services One of Australia’s leading research & teaching universities Vibrant campus life with a str...
Laboratory Manager (Research) Chemistry, University of New South Wales, Australia, about 15 hours ago
Apply now Job no:520040 Work type:full time Location:Sydney, NSW Categories:Research Infrastructure One of Australia’s leading research & teaching universities Vibrant campus life with a strong se...