Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the areas that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Deliver a new generation of Earth observation solutions with direct impact
- Contribute to an agile and cross-functional team at the nexus of research, industry and government
- Opportunity for professional and scientific development in an internationally recognised organisation
The CSIRO Centre for Earth Observation is part of the CSIRO Space Program, which uses the opportunities of space to solve national challenges such as drought, water, climate change and disasters. To support this objective, we are building capacity in the use of Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR), including from the satellite NovaSAR-1, for which the CSIRO Space Program operates a 10% share of on behalf of Australia. This newly created Research Scientist role will provide expertise in the use of SAR data (such as the use of backscatter for flood mapping and vegetation monitoring, and/or interferometry and polarimetry) to support the delivery of national and international Earth observation projects. This includes the implementation of SAR data analysis on CSIRO’s Open Data Cube technology, the Earth Analytics, Science and Innovation hub – EASI.
As the Earth Observation Specialist – SAR, you will interface between scientists from across CSIRO and those from external partners in government and industry. Working with the Director, you will have a unique opportunity to build and maintain strong national and international networks. With a lead role in securing new project funds and clients, you will help deliver a new generation of Earth observation solutions with direct impact for CSIRO and our partners. You will lead small projects and/or project teams to conduct innovative research and demonstrate scientific excellence through the delivery of high-quality research outputs.
As a recognised leader in Earth observation, CSIRO provides opportunities for professional and scientific development, interfacing with a highly skilled and diverse technical and scientific team. CSIRO Space and Astronomy is committed to providing a safe and inclusive culture and implementing initiatives to improve diversity and equity within our workplace. This role is offered on a full‐time, part‐time (minimum 0.8 FTE) or job share basis (if circumstances permit).
In this role you will:
- Develop and implement SAR data analysis techniques to support delivery of national and international projects.
- Develop networks across CSIRO to identify new opportunities.
- Secure new collaboration and funding opportunities with external partners.
- Develop challenging but realistic research plans and negotiate resource requirements.
- Take responsibility for smaller research projects or elements of larger projects.
- Lead small project teams to ensure outcomes are completed within the agreed timeframes and budget.
- Contribute to briefing, training and presentation materials for scientific and general audiences.
Location: Perth, Western Australia (preferred), other locations considered
Salary: AU$121k – AU$142k pa (pro-rata for part-time) + up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified Term of 3 years
Full-time or Part-time (minimum 0.8 FTE)
Note that visa sponsorship may not be available for part-time appointments.
To be considered you will need:
- A PhD (or an equivalent combination of qualifications and research experience) in a relevant field such as remote sensing, environmental or marine science.
- The ability to undertake original, creative and innovative research.
- A publication history of authorship on scientific papers in peer reviewed journals and/or reports, grant applications or inventorship on patent applications.
- Skills in one or more of the following: SAR backscatter, interferometric SAR, polarimetric SAR.
- Strong communication skills for scientific and non-scientific audiences.
- Experience managing projects and/or project teams to deliver outcomes.
- Strong coding skills and familiarity with Earth observation data processing and visualisation packages.
To see the full list of criteria for this role, please view the Position Details
- Applications for this position are open all candidates.
- The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Clearance or equivalent, and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia’s national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply online and provide a CV and cover letter (maximum 2 pages) outlining your motivations for applying and your suitability for the role, paying particular attention to the requirements outlined in the Position Details .
Tuesday 31 January, 2023 (11pm AEDT)
Apply now »
Research Associate School Of Earth And Planetary Sciences, Curtin University, Australia, about 4 hours ago
Job Reference: 1039974 School of Earth and Planetary Sciences Consolidating engineering, economics, and science capabilities to form School of Earth and Planetary Sciences: The School provides wor...
Parking Officer, The University of Western Australia, Australia, 25 days ago
Job no:513628 Work type:full time Location:Crawley Categories:Campus / facilities management Join our team to support the daily operations and security of a World Top 100 University Level 3, full-...
Lecturer Ocean's Graduate School, The University of Western Australia, Australia, about 15 hours ago
Job no:513787 Work type:full time Location:Crawley Categories:Engineering and Mathematical Sciences Oceans Graduate School Position prioritised for suitably qualified women UWA is committed to a d...
Administrative Officer, Curtin University, Australia, 10 days ago
Job Reference: 1044270 Faculty of Science and Engineering Curtin’s Faculty of Science and Engineering has five academic schools that deliver a range of undergraduate, postgraduate, and higher degr...
Coordinator (Spirit), The University of Western Australia, Australia, about 15 hours ago
Job no:514015 Work type:part time Location:Crawley Categories:Community Engagement/Marketing, Research support I nternational Centre for Radio Astronomy Research (ICRAR) A great opportunity to wo...
Dean, Indigenous Engagement Science And Engineering, Curtin University, Australia, 2 days ago
Job Reference: 1031100 Curtin University considers that being Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander is a genuine occupational requirement for this position under section 50D of the Equal Opport...