Job Reference: 1031100
Curtin University considers that being Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander is a genuine occupational requirement for this position under section 50D of theEqual Opportunity Act 1984
(WA). Therefore, only applications from suitably qualified Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people will be considered.
Your new role
Curtin is committed to embedding the voices and perspectives of Indigenous peoples at the forefront of our decision making to create and environment in which everyone thrives.
- The Dean, Indigenous Engagement is a key appointment in our Faculty of Science and Engineering and is instrumental in informing and guiding the faculty on matters specific to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander knowledges and ways of being and doing.
- The Dean Indigenous Engagement will work across the university with Indigenous students, and all students, Academics, and professional staff to help create, guide and embed Indigenous knowledges and cultural capability, fostering inclusivity and belonging.
Outcomes for the Dean role include:
- leading the development and implementation of the faculty’s Indigenous engagement strategy
- cultivating pathway opportunities for Indigenous students to participate and succeed in courses offered by the faculty and in all aspects of university life.
- supporting the development of stronger links between Indigenous Cultures and Knowledges and the faculty’s research activities
- guiding the inclusion of Indigenous ways of knowing and doing throughout curriculum development which contributes to academic staff training and engagement outcomes across the University.
This role is being offered in a full-time continuing (permanent) capacity, with part-time engagement negotiable and is based at ourcampus on Whadjuk Nyungar Country
Whilst it is preferable that the successful candidate will possess a PhD, we are focussed on finding the right balance of experience, community engagement and connections relevant to the role.
If your qualifications or experience look different from what we've described above, but you feel your skills and potential are a match to the capabilities we need, please apply. We are looking for diversity in experience, thought and approach.
For a confidential discussion about the role, please contact Mark Ogden,
Pro-Vice Chancellor Science and Engineering on 08 9266 4800.
Curtin’s Faculty of Science and Engineering has five academic schools that deliver a range of undergraduate, postgraduate, and higher degree by research (HDR) courses.
The five academic Schools are the School of Civil and Mechanical Engineering, School of Earth and Planetary Sciences, School of Electrical Engineering, Computing and Mathematical Sciences, School of Molecular and Life Sciences, and the WA School of Mines: Minerals, Energy and Chemical Engineering. The Faculty’s 1,500 academic and professional staff support student learning of more than 6,500 EFTSL (28% international) annually across almost all of Curtin’s campuses, including Perth, Kalgoorlie, Malaysia, Singapore, Dubai, Mauritius, as well as the Sri Lanka Institute of Information Technology (SLIIT).
The Faculty has a thriving research culture and hosts a number of University Research Centres and Institutes, including the Centre for Crop Disease and Management, the Curtin Institute of Radio Astronomy, and the recently launched ARC Training Centre for Healing Country.
Our vibrant Bentley campus includes a gym, childcare, a medical centre, an art gallery, endless food options including a full-range grocer, beautiful gardens, end-of-trip facilities, good parking, and excellent public transport connections.
For more information about our university, please visit www.curtin.edu.au
To apply for theDean, Indigenous Engagement
role, please ensure your application includes:
- An established profile in, and significant contribution to, Indigenous engagement, teaching and research within the higher education sector is preferred. However, the focus for the role is on the right balance of experience, community engagement and connections.
- Strong affiliations with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community groups and professional organisations.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively initiate, lead and implement strategic initiatives to raise and fulfil the aspirations of Indigenous people to engage with university study.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively initiate, lead and implement strategic initiatives to raise the cultural capability of non-indigenous people and fulfil the aspirations of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to be successful in the University.
To view a copy of the candidate brochure for this vacancy, please copy and paste the following link into your browser:
To view a copy of the Position Description, please copy and paste the following link into your browser:
Applications close: Thursday, 30 March 2023, 9pm AWST
Applicants should note that prior to appointment, you will need to have a current National Police Records check, undergo character, integrity, and reference checks.
Please note that this position may be subject to a WA state government vaccination mandate. If requested, you will be required to provide evidence of your vaccination status prior to employment.
If you have any queries in relation to this application process, please contact our careers team on 08 9266 9000 (option 3,1).
Please note we are not accepting applications from recruitment agencies at this time.
Lecturer In Indigenous Knowledges, MURDOCH UNIVERSITY, Australia, 17 days ago
16 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company MURDOCH UNIVERSITY Research Field History Philosophy Religious sciences Language sciences Literature Sociology Ethics in social sciences Researcher...
Lecturer In Aviation, Female Candidates Only, EDITH COWAN UNIVERSITY, Australia, 18 days ago
13 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company EDITH COWAN UNIVERSITY Research Field Engineering Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) First Stage Researcher (R1) Country Australia Appli...
Lecturer In Aviation Female Candidates Only, Edith Cowan University, Australia, about 10 hours ago
$75,193 - $100,797 pa (LEVEL A) or $105,832 - $125,043 pa (LEVEL B) Ongoing, Full-time, Joondalup Campus Open to candidates with relevant work rights LECTURER (LEVEL A/B) IN AVIATION – FEMALE CAND...
Senior Lecturer Midwifery, Edith Cowan University, Australia, about 10 hours ago
$128,880 to $148,089 pa (ALEVC) Ongoing. Full-time, Joondalup campus Open to Australian or New Zealand citizens or Australian permanent residents SENIOR LECTURER - MIDWIFERY SCHOOL OF NURSING AND ...
Lecturer Midwifery, Edith Cowan University, Australia, about 10 hours ago
$105,832 to $125,043 pa (ALEVB) (pro-rata) Ongoing, Full-time or Part-time, Joondalup campus Open to Australian or New Zealand citizens or Australian permanent residents LECTURER MIDWIFERY SCHOOL...
Associate Professor Innovation, Entrepreneurship And/Or Strategy, CURTIN UNIVERSITY, Australia, 16 days ago
17 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company CURTIN UNIVERSITY Research Field Management sciences Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) First Stage Researcher (R1) Country Australia Ap...