Work type:part time
Location:QEII Medical Centre / SCGH, Crawley
Categories:Health and Medical Sciences
- Part-time (0.5 FTE), fixed-term appointment for 3 years
- Base salary range: Level D $158,906 – $174,822 p.a. (pro-rata) plus 17% superannuation plus clinical loading (if applicable).
The University of Western Australia (UWA) is ranked among the top 100 universities in the world and a member of the prestigious Australian Group of Eight research intensive universities. With a strong research track record, vibrant campus and working environments, supported by the freedom to innovate and inspire, there is no better time to join Western Australia’s top university.
About the team
The UWA Medical School is the largest and longest established medical school in Western Australia. It delivers a number of programs, including a 4-year post-graduate medical course to local, national and international students. The School also has substantial and successful research programs across most disciplines in the medical sector.
UWA has partnered with The University of Arizona (UArizona) to develop a new and innovative transnational post-graduate Doctor of Medicine program (Global MD) to run alongside its existing world-class offerings. Students undertaking the Global MD will complete 2-years of study in Western Australia and a further 2-years in Arizona. The vision of the Global MD program is to address the global primary care physician shortage and to improve access to healthcare for the wellbeing of all people.
About the opportunity
As Dean (Global MD), you will be responsible for the management, accreditation and academic leadership of the proposed Global MD program conducted at UWA. You will work collaboratively with the existing Dean (Global MD) who is based at UArizona in Tucson, Arizona, USA. Together, you will deliver excellent and world-leading outcomes across all aspects of the program, including curriculum development, course accreditation, staffing, resource allocation, and relationship development and management. In conjunction with the Dean (Global MD) at UArizona. The appointee will deliver the Global MD’s strategic priorities and operational management.
This position is an exciting opportunity to lead the establishment of a new medical degree and Western Australia’s first medical course delivered globally. The successful candidate would be a member of the Medical School Executive team and relevant course leadership committees.
To be considered for this opportunity, you will demonstrate:
- Medical qualification with current registration to practice within Australia and substantial clinical experience and leadership in an area of specialty.
- Extensive contribution to medical education with 5 or more years of leadership experience in medical schools in Australia and/or North America.
- A proven track record in demonstrating excellence in medical student teaching, learning, assessment, and support of students at a program level.
- Leadership experience with the design and implementation of medical course and unit curricula, including maintaining partnership agreements and accreditation.
- Experience with medical education and/or clinical research, including the development of innovative projects and funding proposals, publications and communication of outcomes.
- Excellent organisational, problem solving, communication and negotiation skills with multiple and diverse stakeholders including international partners, external bodies, committees, academic and professional staff and students.
- Demonstration of a significant personal contribution and commitment to high quality Medical Education and research at all levels.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage staff and operations within budget.
- Commitment to the values of equity and diversity, demonstrated understanding of the diverse nature of the Global MD community, and a willingness to work with staff, students and visitors from a wide range of backgrounds.
- Knowledge, experience and/or qualification relevant to North American medical training, licensing, registration and practice would be desirable.
Please note that regional and international travel will be a requirement of this position.
About your application
Full details of the position's responsibilities and the selection criteria are outlined in the position description: PD - Dean (Global MD) 515424.pdf
You are required to address the selection criteria in your submission in a separate document. For information to assist you with compiling statements to answer the selection criteria, please visit Addressing the selection criteria .
You may also submit an additional statement (1 page max) outlining any personal circumstances which should be considered when assessing your application. Applicants who have experienced periods of academic/professional interruption or other relevant events can include a description of achievements relative to opportunity in this statement.
Closing date: 11:55 PM AWST on Sunday 17 September 2023.
This position is only open to applicants with relevant rights to work in Australia.
Application Details: Please apply online via the Apply Now button.
Our commitment to inclusion and diversity
UWA is committed to a diverse workforce and an equitable and inclusive workplace. We celebrate difference and believe diversity is fundamental to achieving our goals as a globally recognised Top 100 educational and research institution. We are committed to creating a safe work environment for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, women, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, the LGBTIQA+ community and people living with disability.
- We have a globally competitive, gender neutral parental leave policy with 26 weeks paid leave after 12 months service and 36 weeks after 5 years.
- We have on-campus childcare facilities for children aged 6 weeks to kindy.
- We facilitate flexible working, with part-time and job-sharing arrangements considered.
- We have an ongoing partnership with Pride in Diversity and were recently awarded a Bronze Employer status for LGBTIQA+ inclusion.
- We have Athena SWAN Bronze accreditation and actively work to improve gender equity.
Should you have any queries relating to your application, please contact the individual named in the advertisement. Alternatively, contact the Talent team at firstname.lastname@example.org with details of your query. To enable a quick response, please include the 6-digit job reference number and a member of the team will respond to your enquiry.
Advertised:08 Sep 2023 W. Australia Standard Time
Applications close:17 Sep 2023 11:55 PM W. Australia Standard Time
Associate Lecturer Optometry, UNIVERSITY OF WESTERN AUSTRALIA, Australia, about 17 hours ago
8 Dec 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company UNIVERSITY OF WESTERN AUSTRALIA Research Field Medical sciences Researcher Profile Leading Researcher (R4) Country Australia Application Deadline 15...
Lecturer, Accounting And Finance, UNIVERSITY OF WESTERN AUSTRALIA, Australia, 4 days ago
4 Dec 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company UNIVERSITY OF WESTERN AUSTRALIA Research Field Economics Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) First Stage Researcher (R1) Country Australia...
Lecturer, Accounting And Finance, UNIVERSITY OF WESTERN AUSTRALIA, Australia, 5 days ago
2 Dec 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company UNIVERSITY OF WESTERN AUSTRALIA Research Field Economics Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) First Stage Researcher (R1) Country Australia...
Associate Lecturer Or Lecturer In Chemistry And Biochemistry, UNIVERSITY OF WESTERN AUSTRALIA, Australia, 22 days ago
16 Nov 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company UNIVERSITY OF WESTERN AUSTRALIA Research Field Chemistry Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) First Stage Researcher (R1) Country Australi...
Lecturer Human Sciences, UNIVERSITY OF WESTERN AUSTRALIA, Australia, 5 days ago
2 Dec 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company UNIVERSITY OF WESTERN AUSTRALIA Research Field Biological sciences Psychological sciences Sociology Ethics in social sciences Researcher Profile Lea...
Research Officer, UNIVERSITY OF WESTERN AUSTRALIA, Australia, 22 days ago
16 Nov 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company UNIVERSITY OF WESTERN AUSTRALIA Research Field Engineering Engineering Researcher Profile Established Researcher (R3) Country Australia Application...