Job no: 0057015
Role type: Full time; Fixed-term for 12 months
Faculty: Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences
Department/School: Department of Clinical Pathology
Salary: Classification is either Level A or Level B depending on experience and qualifications
Level A – $77,171- $104,717 p.a. plus 17% super or Level B - $110,236– $130,900 p.a.
The University of Melbourne would like to acknowledge and pay respect to the Traditional Owners of the lands upon which our campuses are situated, the Wurundjeri and Boon Wurrung Peoples, the Yorta Yorta Nation, the Dja Dja Wurrung People. We acknowledge that the land on which we meet and learn was the place of age-old ceremonies, of celebration, initiation and renewal, and that the local Aboriginal Peoples have had and continue to have a unique role in the life of these lands.
About - Department of Clinical Pathology
The Department of Clinical Pathology focuses on graduate learning and teaching, research and engagement in the clinical discipline of pathology. The Department is located at the Parkville campus with offices in the state of the art Victorian Comprehensive Cancer Centre (VCCC) building.
The Department of Clinical Pathology collaborates broadly with other Departments, Centres, Schools and Faculties of the University of Melbourne, health services and medical research institutes to generate new knowledge in cancer research to improve the outcomes of patients. Initial programs of research will specifically focus on the molecular defects of tumours and the utility of applying the knowledge of these defects to prognostication and treatment of patients with cancer led by the world-renowned cancer researcher, Professor Sean Grimmond. The Department of Clinical Pathology also provides specialist laboratories for cancer cell biology, DNA bio-banking, rapid large scale, next generation sequencing and organoid generation and testing.
About the Role
This new role will contribute to the University of Melbourne's partnership with international genomics company Illumina, the establishment of the Illumina-University of Melbourne Genomics Hub and the development of three core platforms in clinical genomics, bioinformatics, and health economics.
The role will be responsible for interpretative and curation reporting of the genomic analysis generated by the UMCCR Genomics Platform team, to clinicians participating in the Cancer of Low Survival and Unmet Need (COLUMN) Initiative and Victorian Comprehensive Cancer Centre Precision Oncology activities.
- Responsibility for curation and interpretative reporting of variant data generated by the COLUMN Initiative including independent drafting of written curation reports.
- Delivery of oral presentations of patient cases to clinicians, curators and researchers at weekly meetings within the UMCCR, Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre and the Victorian Comprehensive Cancer Centre.
- Participate in community and professional activities related to the relevant disciplinary area including attendance and presentations at conferences and seminars
- Work with research, scientific and bioinformatic staff to optimise the performance of variant data curation and interpretation processes of whole genome and transcriptome data from cancer patients.
You will possess demonstrable excellence in organisational skills and an ability to manage administrative tasks, set priorities, meet deadlines and achieve goals in a complex working environment. You will show enthusiasm, initiative, reliability and willingness to undertake new challenges. You will have demonstrated excellence in written and verbal scientific communication and developing research profile at a national level.
You will also have:
- PhD or near completion of PhD in relevant area, or equivalent professional qualification including but not restricted to: MHGSA / FHGSA / RCPA FFSc Genetic pathology.
- Work experience in a molecular diagnostics, cancer research or molecular biology laboratory. Relevant to level appointed.
- Demonstrated track record in independent and team-based research in cancer research, (diagnostic) genetics or molecular cell biology.
- Demonstrated experience of NGS-based analysis of cancer and familiarity with one or more of the following: DNA sequencing (whole genome, whole exome, gene panel), whole transcriptome sequencing, circulating tumour DNA sequencing, bioinformatics, pharmacology and/or clinical trials.
To ensure the University continues to provide a safe environment for everyone, this position requires the incumbent to hold a current and valid Working with Children Check.
About the University
The University of Melbourne is consistently ranked amongst the leading universities in the world. We are proud of our people, our commitment to research and teaching excellence, and our global engagement.
Benefits of Working with Us
In addition to having the opportunity to grow and be challenged, and to be part of a vibrant campus life, our people enjoy a range of rewarding benefits:
- Flexible working arrangements, generous personal, parental and cultural leave
- Competitive remuneration, 17% super, salary packaging and leave loading
- Free and subsidised health and wellbeing services, and access to fitness and cultural clubs
- Discounts on a wide range of products and services including Myki cards and Qantas Club
- Career development opportunities and 25% off graduate courses for staff and their immediate families
To find out more, visit https://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/staff-benefits .
We value the unique backgrounds, experiences and contributions that each person brings to our community and encourage and celebrate diversity. First Nations people, those identifying as LGBTQIA+, females, people of all ages, with disabilities and culturally and linguistically diverse people are encouraged to apply. Our aim is to create a workforce that reflects the community in which we live.
If you feel this role is right for you, please submit your application including a brief cover letter, your resume and your responses against the selection criteria^ (found in the Position Description) for the role.
^For information to help you with compiling short statements to answer the selection criteria and competencies, please go to http://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/selection-criteria
We are dedicated to ensuring barrier free and inclusive practices to recruit the most talented candidates. If you require any reasonable adjustments with the recruitment process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org .Position Description
Research Officer / Senior Research Officer In Immunology/Biochemistry/Cell Biology, UNIVERSITY OF MELBOURNE, Australia, 9 days ago
Location: Parkville Role type: Fixed term for 1 year with the possibility of extension up to 5 years Faculty: The Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences Department/School: The Departme...
Lecturer In Art History And Curatorship, UNIVERSITY OF MELBOURNE, Australia, 27 days ago
Location: Parkville Role type: Full-time; Fixed-term for 3 years Faculty: Faculty of Arts Department/School: School of Culture and Communication Salary: Level B - $110,236 - $130,900 p.a. plus 17...
Tutor, Faculty Of Architecture, Building And Planning, UNIVERSITY OF MELBOURNE, Australia, 9 days ago
Location: Parkville Role type: Casual Sessional Faculty: Architecture, Building and Planning Salary: Initial Tutorial $159 per hour; Repeat Tutorial $106 per hour; Marking & Other Academic Activit...
Lecturer In Film And Television, Production Management, UNIVERSITY OF MELBOURNE, Australia, 22 days ago
Location: Southbank Role type: Full-time; Continuing Faculty: Faculty of Fine Arts and Music Department/School: Victorian College of the Arts Salary: Level B $110,236 - $130,900p.a. plus 17% super...
Procedural Skills Teaching Specialist, UNIVERSITY OF MELBOURNE, Australia, 7 days ago
Location: Hospital Based Role type: Part time; Fixed-term Faculty: Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences Department/School: Department of Medical Education – Northern Health Salary: L...
Lecturer In Nursing, UNIVERSITY OF MELBOURNE, Australia, 9 days ago
Location: Parkville Role type: Full time; Fixed Term for 12 months Faculty: Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences Department/School: Department of Nursing Salary: Level B - $110,236 -...