Job Reference: 824862
Your new role
The Chair will have responsibility for enhancing leadership and research to further the reputations of both Curtin and Lions Eye Institute in areas such as the application of leading-edge artificial intelligence, image analysis and data linkage algorithms with particular emphasis on, Indigenous, rural, and remote eye health, and data linkage.
The Chair role builds on experience of computer science, image analysis and computation involving large datasets, including data interpretation using state-of-the-art statistical and artificial intelligence methods to advance research and innovation in the fields of ophthalmic data sets.
The Chair will be an internationally recognised research leader for their work with ophthalmic data. They will play a key role in attracting and leading an exceptional team of high-quality investigators dedicated to making research discoveries.
The Chair will contribute to the growing body of research around large ophthalmic data sets, playing a key leadership role in driving the research agenda and in facilitating translation of research knowledge into policy and practice in this field.
The Chair will be of impeccable character and academic distinction and will have a demonstrated track record of collaboration across academic disciplines, leadership of with multidisciplinary teams and translation of research into practice for the benefit of individuals and communities. The Chair’s remit will include academic leadership, driving innovative discovery and translatable research, as well as attracting additional funding.
You will bring to the role
Leadership & Service
- Lead a program of internationally recognised research, whilst promoting excellence, continuous improvement and high quality research outcomes in analytics related to ophthalmology and optometry.
- Lead the development of research and professional linkages and relationships with external stakeholders, including other universities, industry, government entities, the Western Australian community, and related associations and professional bodies.
- Provide strong academic and strategic leadership to foster a culture of innovative and collaborative research through developing transformational research projects.
- Build a talented research team providing management and leadership of staff, which develops and fosters innovation and excellence in analytics.
- Contribute to academic service and leadership, engagement, management and collegiality with stakeholders that will have a measurable benefit.
- Be an effective advocate for excellence and innovation in the field.
- Participate in professional bodies and other external activities as required.
- Model a high standard of professional behaviour consistent with the University and Lions Eye Institute Codes of Conduct and Vision, Mission and Values.
- Undertake internationally competitive research in analytics related to vision science.
- Make a substantial impact in the discipline through the promulgation of ideas and the application and exploitation of findings, discoveries or inventions.
- Collaborate with broader research team to achieve goals and objectives related to both Curtin and Lions Eye Institute’s strategic research plan.
- Lead research teams and support staff, clinical staff and students in research programs.
- Actively seek and secure significant research resources through external national/international grant funding and other business development opportunities to drive research and collaboration.
- Facilitate international collaborations.
- Remain informed regarding relevant emerging research programs, policy changes, technology and trends.
- Actively produce internationally significant research outputs with regular publication in high quality journals.
- Enhance international recognition for research through keynote and major presentations/exhibitions at significant national and international conferences.
- Building and maintaining strong relationships with the Australian Research Council (ARC); National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC); Excellence in Research Australia Branch of ARC; the Australian Government Department of Education and Training, particularly the Research Funding and Policy Branch and the Rural Research Development Corporations; Medical Research Future Fund and other relevant government and industry funding bodies; higher education institutions; professional and community organisations.
- Highly regarded institution ranked globally in the top 1% of universities
- Easily accessible locations with great facilities
- State of the art offices and agile working environment
- Wellness is part of our culture, and we encourage positive lifestyle choices through a range of activities and initiatives.
- A vibrant environment with gym, child care, wellness programs, and health services.
For further information on Curtin and all of our employee benefits visit https://about.curtin.edu.au/jobs/
We are looking for someone with
- A PhD or other research doctoral qualification in relevant discipline.
- Demonstrated leadership of integrated research activity both within and across groups in academia and/or industry.
- An outstanding on-going record of publication in high quality peer-reviewed journals or outputs in creative outlets consistent with leadership in the chosen discipline.
- Proven evidence of a world-leading research record, established international reputation and profile, significant citation indices or equivalent esteem measures to address relevant challenges and a commitment to conducting on-going research in the discipline.
- An outstanding record of obtaining research income, including nationally and internationally competitive research grants and/or fellowships relevant to the discipline.
- Considerable experience and record of successful supervision of HDR students.
- Demonstrated leadership and mentoring to academic staff in relation to their professional development and extensive experience of supervision of HDR students.
- Demonstrated high level communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to foster and promote the development of a collegial and supportive working environment and the ability to interact with students and staff with cross cultural sensitivity.
- Demonstrated commitment to applying relevant and applicable policies, procedures and legislation in the day-to-day performance of the functions of this position.
Curtin University requires you to provide a cover letter and resume to include sufficient information and examples to allow us to assess your suitability for the role.
To view a copy of the role’s Position Description, please copy and paste the following link into your browser:
Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging at Curtin
We are committed to ensuring that Curtin has an inclusive environment, free from harassment, in which all students, staff and the community feel respected, valued, welcome and that they belong.
We encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people of all abilities, women, and people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, and are committed to making reasonable adjustments to enable everyone to participate fully in our recruitment, selection and appointment processes.
We have received recognition in this area:
- Voted one of Australia’s Inclusive Employers for 2019-2020 (Diversity Council of Australia).
- Have become one of the first Universities to receive accreditation for an Elevate Reconciliation Action Plan.
- Achieved Athena Swan Bronze Accreditation (2018-2020).
- Voted 16th best workplace for new dads in Australia (HBF - Direct Advice for Dads, 2019).
Applications close: 9pm AWST Tuesday 7 December 2021
If you have a query in relation to the application process please contact our careers team on firstname.lastname@example.org
Curtin reserves the right at its sole discretion to withdraw from the recruitment process, not to make an appointment, or to appoint by invitation, at any time. We reserve the right to remove the advert earlier than the date on the advert.
Hr Manager, Organisational Development And Workplace Diversity, The University of Western Australia, Australia, about 1 hour ago
Human Resources Lead a high performing OD team working to shape the future of a top 100 University Full-time, fixed term appointment until 3 February 2022 Salary range: Level 9 $117,049 – $123,858...
Lecturer/Senior Lecturer Criminology, The University of Western Australia, Australia, about 1 hour ago
An exciting opportunity to contribute to the UWA Law School’s teaching and research, teaching into the School’s Criminology programs. Full time, ongoing tenurable position. Commencing 1 January 20...
Director, Human Resources, The University of Western Australia, Australia, about 1 hour ago
Job no:508898 Work type:full time Location:Crawley Categories:Human Resources, Executive The University of Western Australia Director, Human Resources The University of Western Australia (UWA) is ...
Sessional Lecturers School Of Nursing And Midwifery, Edith Cowan University, Australia, about 11 hours ago
Sessional rates as per Industrial Instrument Casual, South West Campus Open to candidates with the relevant working rights SCHOOL OF NURSING AND MIDWIFERY SESSIONAL RATES AS PER INDUSTRIAL INSTRUM...
Manager, Engagement And Education (Lawrence Wilson Art Gallery), The University of Western Australia, Australia, 4 days ago
Job no:508658 Work type:full time Location:Crawley Categories:Community Engagement/Marketing Lawrence Wilson Art Gallery An exciting, creative role leading the engagement and education program for...
Associate Director, Development, The University of Western Australia, Australia, about 1 hour ago
Job no:508314 Work type:full time Location:Perth CBD Categories:Community Engagement/Marketing, Policy and Planning Development and Alumni Relations Based in Perth, Australia Competitive salary an...