Apply now Job no:519151
Work type:full time
Categories:Senior Lecturer, Lecturer, Senior Research Associate
- Employment Type: Full time or Part time. The program has flexibility for part time employment, and research breaks for participants to pursue other studies, engage with industry or to follow other interests.
- Duration: 4-year tenure track contract with the possibility of converting to a continuing position
- Eligibility: Lecturer, Level B – Senior Lecturer, Level C
- Remuneration: Level B from $119,440 - Senior Lecturer, Level C from $145,071 (plus 17% Superannuation and leave loading)
- Location: Kensington NSW
The UNSW Scientia Program is one of the cornerstones of UNSW’s 2025+ Strategy. A primary goal of the Program is to enhance UNSW's research performance by attracting and retaining exceptional early to mid-career researchers, with outstanding research track records. Scientia academics will be leaders in their School and Faculty and engage with the three pillars of social engagement, global impact, and academic excellence.
Why Your Role Matters:
The Scientia Academics (B/C) will perform high quality research within the UNSW Cities Institute. The UNSW Cities Institute is an independent institute connecting research across faculties with stakeholders and end-users to develop new strategies to better our cities.
As the Scientia Academic: Cities (city infrastructure focus) you will have experience and a superb understanding of the spatial and material impacts of key infrastructure on equity, relating to the urban environment and people. Housing as key infrastructure will form one focus of this work, and the Fellow will continue to contribute to the scholarly knowledge and practical application in the field.
As the Scientia Academic: Cities (city performance and wellbeing focus) you will measure the performance of cities in terms of its spatial impact on the wellbeing of people and the natural environment. The role will develop a holistic lens through which to evidence resilience and sustainability and their impact on urban equity.
These roles will intersect with social research in health and wellbeing, urban design, housing, climate, economics, science, engineering, construction, green infrastructure and transport and therefore will require a capacity to think across disciplines in order to strengthen existing connections and create new knowledge.
The appointment as a UNSW Scientia academic is for the initial period of four (4) years of a Convertible Tenure Track employment contract. At the end of this period, renewal of Scientia academic status will be contingent on performance. The level of appointment will be commensurate with the candidate’s qualifications and experience.
The role of Scientia academic reports to the Director, Cities Institute and has no direct reports.
Accountabilities as a Level B –
- Engage in individual and/or collaborative research in a manner consistent with disciplinary practice.
- Conduct research/scholarly activities under limited supervision.
- Establish a personal research portfolio and start developing independent research proposals.
- Contribute to the development of application for competitive funding under the guidance of senior colleagues.
Accountabilities as a Level C, in addition to the above –
- Make independent contributions to research that have a significant impact in their field of expertise.
- Undertake independent research in discipline or related area, making an independent contribution through professional practice and expertise.
- Develop research groups in area of specialist expertise and research methods that are appropriate to the discipline.
Who You Are:
Skills and experience required as a Level B –
- A PhD focused in a relevant area in terms of its spatial impact on the wellbeing of people, the urban environment and the natural environment.
- Demonstrated commitment to proactively keeping up to date with discipline knowledge and developments.
- Demonstrated track record in research with outcomes of high quality and high impact with a clear desire to continually achieve research excellence.
Skills and experience as a Level C, in addition to the above –
- Demonstrated ability work closely with industry and external academic partners in the delivery of practical impact-focused research in a high-paced delivery environment.
- Demonstrated potential and capacity for research leadership.
- Evidence of obtaining research income from nationally competitive research grants.
To view the comprehensive list of the responsibilities and the skills and experience please refer to the position description. A copy of the position description can be found below the job advert on JOBS@UNSW.
Benefits and Culture:
- Flexible Working Options (work from home, flexible hours etc)
- Career development opportunities
- 17% Superannuation contributions and additional leave loading payments
- Additional 3 days of leave over Christmas period
- Discounts and entitlements (retail, education, fitness)
For further details on the benefits, please visit https://www.jobs.unsw.edu.au/lifestyle-benefits
How to Apply:
Make each day matter with a meaningful career at UNSW. Upload your resume and submit a document (up to 3 pages) addressing how you meet the requirements of this position (as listed in the position description). Complete your application online by Thursday, 19th October 2023 at 11:30 pm Sydney time.
Get in Touch:
For any recruitment related questions please contact:
Senior Talent Acquisition Consultant
For any questions related to the Scientia Program please contact:
Senior Scientia Advisor
Please apply through the application portal and not via the contacts above.
UNSW is committed to equity diversity and inclusion. Applications from women, people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, those living with disabilities, members of the LGBTIQ+ community; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged. UNSW provides workplace adjustments for people with disability, and access to flexible work options for eligible staff. The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.
Advertised:21 Sep 2023 AUS Eastern Standard Time
Applications close:19 Oct 2023 AUS Eastern Daylight Time
Lecturer Or Senior Lecturer In Clinical Psychology, Macquarie University, Australia, 5 days ago
PRIMARY DETAIL The School of Psychological Sciences is seeking a suitably qualified academic to be actively involved in the development, implementation, and delivery of units in the Master of Clin...
Ref 5909/23 Lecturer – Construction Management (Bushfire Protection), School Of Engineering, Design And Built Environment, University of Western Sydney, Australia, about 8 hours ago
Full-time, Ongoing position based at Parramatta South Campus Remuneration: $135,528 to $159,922 p.a. includes Superannuation & Leave Loading Working at WSU means you’ll be part of an organisation ...
Senior Lecturer Microbiology, University of Sydney, Australia, about 14 hours ago
Full time continuing position. Located on the Camperdown campus at the School of Life and Environmental Sciences Exciting opportunity for a talented academic to join the Faculty of Science in a co...
Lecturer In Food And Nutrition Science, University of Sydney, Australia, about 14 hours ago
Full time, continuing position. Located at the Camperdown campus in the School of Life and Environmental Sciences Exciting opportunity for a talented and motivated Lecturer in Food Science (Educat...
Animal Welfare Officer, Research, Ethics And Integrity, WESTERN SYDNEY UNIVERSITY, Australia, 29 days ago
4 Nov 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company WESTERN SYDNEY UNIVERSITY Research Field Biological sciences Medical sciences Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) First Stage Researcher (...
Ref 4853/23 Senior Technical Support Officer, Icns, Office Of Teaching & Research Technical Services, University of Western Sydney, Australia, about 8 hours ago
Full-time, fixed term until 31 August 2026 based at Werrington South Campus Remuneration: $100,670 to $107,945 p.a. Flex Leave|Professional Development Opportunities Full-time, fixed term until 31...