Assistant/Associate Director, Post Award - Archive Sponsored Projects Services, University Of Oregon
Assistant/Associate Director, Post Award - Archive
Sponsored Projects Services
FTE: 1.0 FTE
Type: Officer of Administration
Duration: One year contract, renewable
Pay Range: $65,000 - $95,000 (Title and salary offered commensurate with experience)
Annual Basis: 12 month
Starting Date: July 17, 2012 or as early as possible
The University of Oregon (UO), a distinguished public research university based in Eugene, Oregon, seeks applications for an Assistant/Associate Director position overseeing the Post-Award functions in the UO’s Sponsored Projects Services Administration (SPS). Over the last decade, the UO has seen enormous growth in the research enterprise and currently generates over $130 million in annual research awards and among its Association of American University peers, ranks third in funded research growth per faculty member. The UO is focusing on expanding and enhancing its administrative infrastructure and business functions to support the research community in sustained and growing research program.
SPS provides a full range of research administration services under the direction of the Associate Vice President for Research and Director of SPS, including the Post-Award functions of award management and accounting, invoicing, letter of credit draws downs, accounts receivable, financial reporting, and award reconciliation and closeout. Additional information about SPS can be found at http://SPS.uoregon.edu.
As the office that serves as the central administrative office for grants and contracts, SPS is seeking a dedicated and focused individual to contribute to the direction and vision of research administration at UO. The Assistant/Associate Director manages both administrative and classified staff and oversees all post-award aspects of the unit, and will also focus on developing and maintaining policies and procedures and building and delivering training to SPS employees and the campus community. This individual will collaborate across the university community to provide high-levels of customer service while appropriately balancing compliance with federal, state and local government, sponsor, University of Oregon (UO), and Oregon University System (OUS) regulations and policies.
The successful candidate will exhibit strong customer service skills, an enthusiasm to support researchers achieve their goals and a creative but principled view of research administration. It is our expectation that the finalist will have the ability to work effectively with faculty, staff and students from a variety of diverse backgrounds and will maintain the highest ethical standards as a leader within their unit and within the university.
The UO is a vibrant and intellectually stimulating campus in a region noted for its dynamic quality of life and progressive cultural environment. Balancing life and work is extremely important to UO employees and the university provides ample support and encouragement for its employees to enjoy the environmental and cultural opportunities offered in Eugene and the larger Willamette valley. We encourage candidates to learn about the benefits of working at the UO by reviewing relevant pages on our Human Resources website such as http://hr.uoregon.edu/worklife/ and http://hr.uoregon.edu/benefits/.
Core responsibilities for the Assistant/Associate Director of Post-Award include a combination of the following:
- Provide vision, support and leadership on all matters related to post-award administration to SPS staff, UO community members and key external constituents;
- Manage and supervise the workload and performance of post-award personnel (approximately 12);
- Review, establish and monitor internal control activities related to post-award;
- Manage relationships, expectations and interactions with the UO research community while serving as a liaison for the SPSSPS's internal clients (Principal Investigators (PIs), Centers,Institutes, Academic Departments, and other administrative offices) and external clients, including both federal and non-federal sponsors;
- Plan, develop and implement training across a variety of research administration topics for SPS staff and the UO community, including Principal Investigators, departmental support and other UO employees;
- Partner with the pre-award Associate/Assistant Director and SPS Executive Director on establishing and executing against department-wide initiatives and priorities;
- Report on sponsored project demographic and financial information as required or requested by the UO research community, peer administrative offices, and Oregon University System;
- Represent and speak on behalf of SPS at university and/or university system-wide meetings and events;
- Serve as a subject matter expert, advising SPS staff and the broader research community on a variety of areas impacted by or relating to research administration;
- Serve as an extension of the Associate Vice President and Director of SPS and Vice President for Research and Innovation, acting as their representative when requested and with the authority to carry out his/her delegated responsibilities; and
- Manage, lead and complete special projects as assigned.
- A BA/BS from an accredited institution of higher education;
- Five (5) years or more of progressively responsible experience within the field of research administration/sponsored programs administration
- Three (3)years or more of professional experience significantly focused on financial management (i.e. accounting, budget development, financial analysis) in the research administration environment
- Two (2) years or more of working with cost accounting principles and/or providing significant financial analysis to senior managers to assist in strategic budgeting and financial reporting.
- Two (2) years or more of managerial experience which includes performance evaluation and hiring activity;
- Two (2) years or more providing grant management (including financial management) assistance to multiple PIs on multiple sponsored awards with potentially conflicting deadlines and priorities.
- Two (2) years or more professional office experience using electronic award management and reporting tools;
- Two (2) years or more professional experience using BANNER or similar integrated administrative information system in an academic, hospital, non-profit or governmental organization.
- Advanced knowledge of federal regulations, such as the applicable OMB Circulars, and sponsor fiscal and administrative terms and conditions;
- Experience in a team-based professional setting.
- Advanced Degree in Business, Law, Public Administration or a scientific field from an accredited institution of higher education
Finalist candidates are subject to a formal background check.
Application review will begin on June 4, 2012; position(s) will remain open until filled. A complete application will include a cover letter specifically addressing how your professional experience qualifies you for the position and a current resume. Materials should clearly indicate to the review committee that you meet the minimum qualifications. Electronic submissions are preferred. Please email your package to Ms. Kim Newell at firstname.lastname@example.org and put Assistant/Associate Director Post Award in the subject line.
Paper applications should be sent c/o Ms. Kim Newell, UO Sponsored Projects Services, 203 Johnson Hall, 1266 University of Oregon, Eugene, OR 97403-1266
The UO is an equal-opportunity, affirmative-action institution committed to cultural diversity and compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. We seek candidates with demonstrated potential to contribute positively to the University of Oregon’s diverse community.
Office of Affirmative Action & Equal Opportunity
· 677 East 12th Ave., Suite 452 · 5221 University of Oregon, Eugene, OR 97403-5221
Office (541) 346-3123, Fax (541) 346-4168, Jobline (541) 346-2957 · This announcement is available in alternate formats upon request.
If you are a qualified applicant with a disability and need accommodation with the application process, please contact us for assistance.
View or Apply