Independent and non-partisan, the Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation was established in 2001 by the family, friends and colleagues of the former Prime Minister as a living memorial. In 2002, the Government of Canada endowed the Foundation with a donation of $125 million to honour the great humanitarian spirit of the former Prime Minister.
The Trudeau doctoral scholarship is Canada's most prestigious doctoral award in the Social Sciences and Humanities. Each year, the Foundation awards scholarships to up to fifteen doctoral students from Canada who have achieved academic excellence and who demonstrate an interest in public policy and a willingness to learn in a multidisciplinary setting. Since 2003, the programme has attracted 143 scholars: individuals with a passion for public engagement who are poised to become leading national and international figures.
The programmes of the Foundation focus on four themes that shaped the life and career of the former Canadian Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau and give voice to a wide variety of perspectives in domestic and international contexts: human rights and dignity; responsible citizenship; Canada in the world; and people and their natural environment.
The Trudeau Foundation's selection criteria are: academic achievement at the highest level; an outstanding ability to exchange with other researchers and scholars; an interest in public policy; and the intention to work in an area related to one or more Trudeau themes and to contribute to public dialogue in those areas.
Universities are not guaranteed awards, but in 2013-14, two Oxford students were funded through the Foundation.
Am I eligible?
You should be applying to start a new full-time DPhil course in the Social Sciences or Humanities at Oxford or be enrolled in the first or second year of such a programme.
You must be a Canadian citizen.
Candidates can only be considered by the Foundation if they have been nominated by the University. You must be enrolled in or have completed a degree programme at the nominating institution, or must be enrolled in and applying to a doctoral programme there. Please note, if you are not currently an Oxford student at Master’s or DPhil level, Oxford will not be able to nominate you, therefore, please apply for the scholarship through your current or previous institution.
Please ensure you meet the selection criteria for your course (see the Course Guide for more information).
This scholarship is not open to candidates applying for part-time courses or to students with deferred entry .
What does it cover?
The value of the scholarship is $40,000 (Canadian dollars) per year, plus up to $20,000(CAD) annually to support research-related travel. Trudeau scholars are each paired with a Trudeau mentor, who will be an outstanding professional pursuing policy analysis and implementation in their daily work.
Awards are made for the full duration of, or the remainder of, a student's fee liability for the agreed course.
How do I apply?
Oxford holds an internal competition to select up to six nominees (the maximum number permitted) for the scholarship, prior to the external competition held by the Trudeau Foundation. In order for your application to be considered by the panel at Oxford, please note the following instructions:
- Complete the Trudeau application form and send it by email or post to the Trudeau Scholarship Manager at Oxford (contact details below), together with all required supporting materials, including references and transcripts. Your application materials must reach us before the Oxford panel's deadline of 22 November 2013.
- References should be signed and presented on letterhead paper and include the name and contact details of the referee.
- The application form and references must be submitted in English.
- You do not need to submit a nomination letter, as this will be added to your application if you are successful in being nominated by the Oxford panel.
- Failure to submit all the application materials as instructed above, and in more detail on the Trudeau application webpage, by the deadline, will mean that you cannot be considered for nomination by the Oxford panel.
Send your application materials either by email to the Trudeau Scholarship Manager or by post to: Trudeau Scholarship Manager, Graduate Admissions & Funding, University of Oxford, University Offices, Wellington Square, Oxford OX1 2JD
The following internal guidance may be of use when completing your application:
- You need to explain explicitly how your research fulfils one or more of the Trudeau criteria (see above).
- You need to read the eligibility requirements carefully.
- Referees should make some attempt to show how you meet the Foundation’s criteria. References designed primarily to support applications for DPhil/PhD programmes may not fulfil this requirement adequately.
- Research proposals should be clearly written, stating the goal of the research, methodology, possible outcomes and how it meets the Trudeau objectives.
How will I know if I have been successful?
Applicants will be notified by email in December 2013 to confirm whether or not they have been nominated by the Oxford panel. Due to the volume of applications we receive, we are unable to provide feedback on applications.
Please note that in the event that you are selected to attend an interview in Canada, the University will not be able to cover travel expenses.
For more information about the scholarship, please see the Trudeau Foundation's website.
If you have any questions about this scholarship which are not answered above, please email us through the Ask a Question facility, selecting the Funding category.
Ph D Scholarship In Cfd: Nozzle Flow In True Scale Nozzle Tips With Geometries Representing The Morphology On Internal Nozzle Deposits, City University London, United Kingdom, 21 days ago
Reference NumberPhDCFD2016LocationNorthampton Square Map & Directions School / ServiceSchool of Mathematics, Computer Science and EngineeringDepartmentDepartment of Mechanical Engineering and Ae...
Ph D Studentship (Health Science), City University London, United Kingdom, 24 days ago
Reference NumberPhD/Studentship/2016LocationNorthampton Square Map & Directions School / ServiceSchool of Health SciencesDepartment-Contract DurationFixed TermHoursFull-timeSalary Range (£)16000...