Research Engineer – Assembly Systems, Tooling and Fixturing (Two posts, fixed term)
- Closing Date
- Sunday, 22nd July 2012
- Job Type
- Research & Teaching
- Faculty of Engineering - Division of Manufacturing
- £24520 to £35938 per annum, depending on skills and experience salary progression beyond this scale is subject to performance
These full-time posts will be offered on fixed-term contracts for a period of two years
Applications are invited for the above posts based within the Manufacturing Division at the Faculty of Engineering. The Manufacturing Division is renowned internationally for the excellence of its manufacturing and human factors research and significant contributions to manufacturing science, technology development and industrial applications across a range of sectors including aerospace, automotive, consumer products, medical and power engineering. It has world-class facilities for design, manufacturing, assembly, measurement, testing and modelling as well as a proven track record in delivering high quality research, leading to numerous patents and high impact peer reviewed publications.
These posts will focus on the development and testing of advanced automated assembly systems, robotics, jigs, tooling, grippers, fixturing to support the University of Nottingham’s activities with major industrial partners including Airbus and BAE Systems and working on joint projects with the Manufacturing Technology Centre (MTC). Specifically, it will involve the evaluation of the latest technical solutions available in the market today and using these to develop next generation systems based on specific user requirements.
The successful candidates will be expected to develop new concepts and prototype industrial systems, perform extensive technology testing and evaluation against set customer requirements and prepare prototype systems for subsequent on site field testing. It will also be part of the researchers’ responsibility to interact with a number of leading UK industrial and academic partners to drive the development of next generation assembly systems, tooling and fixturing technologies. The researchers will be based at the Manufacturing Division at the University of Nottingham but will be expected to spend a significant amount of time at partner sites.
Candidates must have a sound understanding, and preferably direct experience, of one or more of the following areas:
• Trials Rig Design
• CAD Simulation and Modelling (CATIA V5 and/or DELMIA)
• Control and Systems Engineering
• Electro-Mechanical Systems
• Process Automation and Robotics
• Process Capability Assessment and Reliability Testing
• Design of Experiments (DOE)
• Manufacturing, Assembly and Metrology Processes
Direct experience with Assembly Jigs, Fixtures, Tooling and End Effectors would be an advantage
Key tasks for the post will include:
• Project Management of Assembly Systems, Tooling and Fixturing development and validation
• Establishment of industrial requirements and specifications
• Liaison with potential technology suppliers
• Development and implementation of technology demonstrators
• Testing and validation of technology demonstrators to customer specifications
• Reporting to key stakeholders
Candidates must hold an HNC or equivalent, BEng degree or equivalent in an appropriate field and have relevant experience in one or more of the technical areas illustrated above. In addition, they should be confident, have good R&D and communication skills and the ability to work effectively as part of a team. Experience of working with UK and EU industries is preferred.
Due to the nature of these posts all candidates will be required to gain the appropriate level of security clearance associated with a major aerospace company prior to interview.
Informal enquiries may be addressed to Tony Smith, tel: 0115 846 7232, email: email@example.com. Please note that applications sent direct to this Email address will not be accepted.
- More Details
- Information for candidates ( pdf | doc )
- Apply Online
Post Doctoral Research Fellow, Nottingham Trent University, United Kingdom, 24 days ago
Additional information: This post is fixed term for 12 months Nottingham Trent University is a large, vibrant and modern University situated in the heart of Nottingham. Known for its extensive in...