PhD Studentship - Energy Technology, Energy, Resource and Environmental Management
30 November 2011
Dr Gillian Drew
Duration of award:
Supported by EPSRC and Industry Partners through the Doctoral training Award Programme, a studentship up to £15,500 p.a. for 3 years plus UK/EU fees* is available
Supported by EPSRC and Industry Partners through the Doctoral training Award Programme, full fees and enhanced Research Council Stipends* are available.
Cranfield University’s internationally recognised Centre for Energy and Resource Technology has a number of studentships available in the following areas:
• alternative fuels
• carbon capture and transport
• corrosion of industrial boilers and heat exchangers
• energy from biomass, fossil fuels and co-firing
• energy from waste
• energy generation systems
• fuel conversion and energy production
• heat exchanger materials/coatings
• high temperature and fireside corrosion
• gasification/combustion technologies
• gas cleaning/upgrading and utilization
• gas engine performance
• gas turbine materials/coatings
• marine renewable energy
• materials reliability and performance
• offshore wind energy systems
• pipeline engineering
• renewable energy technologies
• solar energy systems
• steam oxidation in power plants
• subsea engineering
• wave and tidal energy systems
Energy, Resource and Environmental Management:
• applied ecology
• climate change infrastructure adaptation
• contaminated land
• emissions from waste
• energy from waste
• environmental/ecological impact assessment
• environmental management systems
• environmental microbiology
• in situ biological treatment in surface water drainage systems
• landfill science
• life cycle assessment
• new resource technologies
• organic waste as soil amendment
• policy appraisal and implementation
• regulatory science
• renewable energy from biomass
• risk assessment and decision making
• soil fertility and nutrient dynamics
• sustainable resource recovery
• waste/waste-derived fuel properties and characterisation
The successful applicant will spend their time at both Industrial Partners and Cranfield University. Working with one of the Doctoral Training Centres (Environment and Natural Resources, Engineering, or Manufacturing and Materials) at Cranfield University will provide the student with access to peer support and dedicated training programmes for continued personal development.
For further information contact Dr Gill Drew, Centre for Energy and Resource Technology, School of Applied Sciences
Telephone: 01234 750111 x 2792
Doctoral Training Centres
This higher research degree is associated with one of our Doctoral Training Centre, which is funded in part by the Research Councils and industry. A generic core skills training programme is provided for all research students. This is structured as a series of half day or full day events and acts as a social and networking forum to foster and develop Cranfield’s research student community.
Applicants should have a First or Second Class UK honours degree (or equivalent) in a relevant discipline such as engineering, biology, environmental science or chemistry.
* Supported by an EPSRC bursary and Industry CASE funding this studentship will cover the tuition fees at the UK/EU rate only and provide a bursary of up to £15,500 p.a for three years. To be eligible for this funding applicants must have:
• no restrictions on how long you can stay in the UK, i.e. no visa restrictions or have ‘settled status’, and
• have been ‘ordinarily resident’ in the UK for 3 years prior to the start of the grant and
• not been residing in the UK wholly or mainly for the purpose of full-time education. (This does not apply to UK or EU nationals).
All EU nationals are eligible to receive a fees-only award if they do not have ‘settled status’ in the UK.
All non-EU nationals are very unlikely to be eligible for this funding under the Education (Fees and Awards) Regulations 1997.
For full details about eligibility please visit: EPSRC
How to apply
If you are eligible to apply for this research studentship, please complete the online application form. For further information contact us today:
School of Applied Sciences
T: +44 (0)1234 754086
Please note that we are unable to consider submissions for specific research studentships that fall outside of the stated eligibility criteria.
Postgraduate Research Funding, The Open University, United Kingdom, about 1 hour ago
Full-time studentships £13,863 per annum (2014) pro-rata, Ref: RD/SS/20/8704 Full-time or part-time fee waivers Ref: RD/SS/21/8704 The Faculty of Social Sciences invites applications for five fu...