A laboratory technician is required to assist in the setting up of teaching and research laboratories, the operation and maintenance of laboratory equipment, and the training of staff and students in the School of Engineering and Physical Sciences.
The post holder supports work in the areas of mechanical and chemical engineering in both teaching and research laboratories. Although each technician in the School has a primary area for which they are responsible, they must also work as part of a team to support and cover duties across the School at busy times.
The successful candidate will set up and maintain equipment, prepare materials, organise consumables and diagnose and rectify faults in teaching and research laboratories. In addition, the laboratory technician will provide technical supervision, guidance and training for undergraduate and master’s students, post graduate and post doctoral researchers and other staff. The post holder will assist the Building Superintendent in safety and maintenance issues across the School.
A flexible approach to this work is essential.
Candidates should have a minimum of an HNC (or equivalent) in engineering, instrumentation, sciences or substantial work experience in a relevant role. Experience in a higher education teaching or research environment is desirable as is an aptitude for IT and a willingness to learn new techniques and processes. Experience of good laboratory practice and a sound working knowledge of standard engineering laboratory equipment is essential. Experience in the use of stress / strain instruments and co-ordinate measuring machines is desirable although appropriate training will be provided where necessary.
The post is open to applications from HWU staff; Agency workers working for HWU on the closing date for applications; HWU students; casual workers on HWU payroll.
For further enquires please contact Stuart McLean (Building Superintendent), Heriot-Watt University: email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 0131 451 3059
Completed application forms may be returned by e-mail to email@example.com or by post to Heriot-Watt University, Human Resources, Edinburgh EH14 4AS. Tel. +44 (0) 131 451 3022 (24 hours), Minicom +44 (0) 131 451 8212.
Please quote the vacancy reference no. (306/01/14) in any correspondence.
Research Associate In Signal Processing For Defence, The University of Edinburgh, United Kingdom, 26 days ago
1. Job Details Job title: Research Associate in Signal Processing for Defence School/Support Department: Engineering Unit: Institute for Digital Communications Line manager: Prof. John Thompson 2....
Senior Lecturer In Molecular And Applied Microbiology, The University of Edinburgh, United Kingdom, 5 days ago
1. Job Details Job title: Senior Lecturer (Molecular and Applied Microbiology) School/Support Department: Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies (R(D)SVS) Unit: Easter Bush Pathology (EBP) Li...
Bioinformatician, The University of Edinburgh, United Kingdom, 28 days ago
Job Purpose Background The human genome project and the technological advances that accompanied it, including the recent advent of the "thousand dollar genome" have opened up new possibilities in ...
Administrative Assistant, The University of Edinburgh, United Kingdom, 13 days ago
1. Job Purpose Reporting to the Policy & Project Manager the post-holder will provide excellent secretarial and administrative support to the Student Recruitment & Admissions team. They will ensu...
Lecturer (£38,896 £46,414 Pa) Or Senior Lecturer (£49,230 £55,389 Pa) In Composite Design And Testing, The University of Edinburgh, United Kingdom, 10 days ago
1. Job Details Job Title: Lecturer or Senior Lecturer in Composite Design and Testing School: School of Engineering Line manager: Director of Discipline, Mechanical Engineering 2. Job Purpose The ...
Lecturer (£38,896 £46,414 Pa) Or Senior Lecturer (£49,230 £55,389 Pa) In Composite Materials Processing, The University of Edinburgh, United Kingdom, 10 days ago
1. Job Details Job Title: Lecturer or Senior Lecturer in Composite Materials Processing School: School of Engineering Line manager: Director of Discipline, Mechanical Engineering 2. Job Purpose Th...