Commonwealth Scholarship For Study In The Uk
Back to resultsClosing date: to be announced
The Commonwealth Scholarships Commission has invited New Zealand to nominate candidates for PhD Scholarships in the United Kingdom, tenable from October 2014.
Full details of the awards are in the Commonwealth Scholarships UK Awards 2014 Prospectus. (A link to the Prospectus will be posted as soon the document is available from the Commonwealth Scholarships Commission).
Candidates should read the Prospectus and all the other information that is on Commonwealth Scholarships Commission website. http://cscuk.dfid.gov.uk/apply/
Number and Type of Awards
- New Zealand has been invited to nominate 10 (ten) candidates.
- Awards are for doctoral study only, including the split site mode.
- Awards are tenable from October 2014.
- All awards must be tenable on a full-time basis.
- The CSC is inviting considerably more nominations than they expect to have scholarships to offer.
- To be nominated from New Zealand is in no way a guarantee of selection or placement.
General eligibility requirements are outlined on the Commonwealth Scholarships Commission website.
New Zealand Eligibility
•Candidates must be New Zealand citizens.
•Candidates should hold, or expect to hold by October 2014, a first degree of at least upper second class honours level from a New Zealand university, or a second class degree and a relevant postgraduate qualification from a New Zealand university.
•Candidates should be able to take up their award in October 2014.
•In their application, candidates must provide evidence of support from a prospective supervisor at at least one of their chosen institutions.
• Applications for split-site study must be made in the context of an existing institutional link between the NZ and UK institutions. Evidence of support is required from the NZ supervisor and the prospective UK supervisor. The electronic application form will not be complete if the contact details of both supervisors are not entered.
Awards will not be offered to scholars already close to completing a doctorate in New Zealand.
However awards may be tenable to complete doctoral studies already underway in New Zealand, but only by split-site mode.
Awards cannot be offered to any candidate who has started their PhD in the UK before September 2014.
Candidates must indicate if they are already registered for higher degrees.
Applications must be made using the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission's Electronic Application System - EAS. http://cscuk.dfid.gov.uk/apply/eas/applicants/scholarships/
In the Application Details section of the on-line application process candidates must select Universities NZ as the Nominating Agency.
As part of the application process candidates are expected to state up to three preferred institutions in the UK where these have been identified as suitable hosts for the research.
Although the final decision on host institution will be made by the CSC candidates should submit independent applications directly to their preferred institutions at the same time as applying for the scholarship.
Where offers of admission to the UK institution have already been obtained these should be included as part of the scholarship application process.
Closing Date for New Zealand Applications
Applications must be complete and submitted in the EAS by Friday 15 November 2013.
- NOTE: the CSC documents refer to a closing date for EAS applications of 3 December 2013 - this is not the date for New Zealand applications.
Process for New Zealand
New Zealand applicants must ensure that their applications are complete and submitted in the EAS by Friday 15 November 2013.
Referees and Potential Supervisors
Referees and potential supervisors will be contacted automatically by email from the EAS - but only when the application is complete and has been submitted.
· The email will request that the referee/supervisor completes the appropriate section of the on-line form.
· After submitting ther application candidates must allow sufficient time for referees and supervisors to input and complete their reports in time to meet the deadline for referee/supervisor reports. The deadline to receive these reports is Friday 22 November 2013.
Applicants are encouraged to ensure that their referees and potential upervisors are fully informed regarding how to use the EAS for their reports.
- Information for Referees 'How to complete a reference - http://www.universitiesnz.ac.nz/scholarships/ukcommonwealth
- Information for Potential Supervisors 'How to complete a supporting statement - http://www.universitiesnz.ac.nz/files/eas-guide-supervisors.pdf
Documents to Upload in the EAS
The EAS asks candidates to upload:
· a scanned passport-size photograph.
· scanned academic transcripts.
· a scanned birth certificate.
· a scan of any offer letter received from a UK institution.
The EAS contains ‘Notes for Candidates’ to help candidates work through the on-line process.
The closing date for applications is 15 November 2013. The closing date for referees’/supervisors’ reports is 22 November 2013. Once these closing dates have passed applications will be considered by the Scholarships Committee of Universities New Zealand.
NOTE: only eligible and complete applications (with all referee and support statements in place) will be forwarded to the Scholarships Committee for consideration.
At a meeting on 10 December 2013 the Scholarships Committee NZ will decide on a maximum of 10 applications which will be formally nominated from New Zealand to the CSC in London.
These nominations will be sent to the CSC by 17 December 2013.
The CSC will review the New Zealand nominations in competition with the nominations received from the other seven Commonwealth countries who have been invited to take part.
The CSC looks for graduate students of the highest possible calibre in any branch of learning.
The CSC will consider all nominated candidates on their intellectual and academic merits and on the quality of their research proposal.
The CSC will also take into account the likelihood that the candidate will carry out "world class research, generate knowledge and develop skills needed to become a future leader in their field."
Back to results
View or Apply
Victoria University of Wellington - New ZealandHistory or background of award Candidates should read the Prospectus and all the other information that is on Commonwealth Scholarships Commission web site. - New Zealand has been invited to nominate
Massey University - New ZealandBack to results Closing date: 30/03/2014 Information regarding General Commonwealth Scholarships for citizens of the United Kingdom can be obtained from: http://www.csfp-online.org/ Under the Commonwealth
Massey University - New ZealandClosing date: 30/03/2015 Information regarding General Commonwealth Scholarships for citizens of the United Kingdom can be obtained from: http://www.csfp-online.org/ Under the Commonwealth Scholarship
University of Aberdeen - United KingdomStudy Level: Taught Postgraduate Country: Anguilla Antigua and Barbuda Bangladesh Barbados Belize Bermuda Botswana British Indian Ocean Territory Cameroon Dominica Falkland Islands (Malvinas) Fiji Gambia
University College London - United KingdomScholarships and Funding Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan (CSFP) General Scholarships and Academic Staff Scholarships Important information for All Applicants Commonwealth Scholarship and