PhD Research in the Arts
|Line of action||:||Consolidating strengths|
|Part of NWO Theme||:||Cultural and societal dynamics|
|Apply||:||No, a new round is (still) uncertain|
The Netherlands Foundation for Visual Arts, Design and Architecture (Fonds BKVB) and NWO are making funds available for awarding two PhD positions for artists to do PhD research. A work of art is a form of knowledge, which is the result of an artistic research process. Artists can broaden their work of art by carrying out PhD research. Also research and knowledge can thus be presented and clarified in a different manner. With this initiative the Fonds BKVB and NWO want to facilitate research and reflection of artists and art. This is a means of strengthening the link between art and science, and of doing justice to the emerging, innovative research and artistic practices in a changing artistic and academic landscape.
Who can apply
The application must be submitted by the PhD-candidate.
Researchers from abroad may apply
What can be applied for
For each proposal a maximum of € 225,000 can be requested:
Based on 1.0 fte for 4 years, or based on 0.8 fte for 5 years:
- Salary Costs: € 198.532, -
- Bench fee: € 5.000, -
- Material costs: € 26.468, -
Based on 0.75 fte for 4 years, or based on 0.7 fte for 5 years:
- Salary Costs: € 148.899,-
- Bench fee: € 5.000,-
- Material costs: € 71.101,-
The bench fee is intended for things such as thesis expenses and visits to conferences (abroad). Material costs are intended for costs that are associated with the proposed research project.
When can be applied
- Closing date for the submission of preliminary proposals was 1 November 2011, 11:59 hrs.
- Closing date for the submission of full proposals was 29 March 2012, 11:59 hrs.
After submission applications can no longer be improved or supplemented.
The subsidy round PhD in the Arts consists of two phases, namely a preproposal phase (deadline 1 November 2011, 12.00) and a full proposal phase (deadline March 29, 2012, 12:00).
If there are enough prepoposals of sufficient quality, six applicants will be invited to submit a full proposal.
Research proposals are evaluated using the following criteria:
- previous results of the applicant (exhibitions, performances, publications, portfolios, research projects);
- any previous results related to the research proposal;
- feasibility of the research in terms of experience and training of the applicant.
- Fundamental principles
- importance of the proposal within artistic and possible scientific developments;
- originality/innovative character of the research plan;
- clarity of the research question
- Proposed results
- artistic result.
- arguments for the proportion of artistic and discursive aspects of the research;
- suitability of the proposed approach/methodology;
- thoroughness and phasing of the work plan.
- Relevance of the research
- knowledge production and transfer where both these terms are understood in relation to the artistic and academic discourse that the research is related to;
- current relevant of the research;
- social, cultural and artistic relevance.
Full information about eligibility, assessment criteria and the evaluation procedure can be found in the call for proposals. In short: the pre-proposals and, in the second phase, the full proposals are assessed by an assessment committee. The assessment committee advises a steering committee. The steering committee decides which applications (2 in total) will be funded.
The steering committee is responsible for the academic content and quality of the subsidy round PhD in the Arts. The proposals will be assessed by an ad hoc assessment committee.
The budget for the 2011-2012 call is € 450,000,-. With this two PhD positions can be funded.
The subsidy round PhD in the Arts is funded by:
- Foundation for Visual Arts, Design and Architectur;
- NWO Humanities.
- Mr P.C. (Coen) Wilders
phone: +31 (0)70 344 08 33, e-mail: email@example.com
- Drs. Steven van Teeseling (Fonds BKVB)
phone: +31 (0)20 523 15 22, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
PhD Research in the Arts | call for proposals
This file (PDF, 15 pages) contains the call for proposals, and in the attachment the guidelines, for submitting a proposal PhD in the Arts (Version December, 2011).
last modified on 29 March 2012
Postdoc 'digital Crossings In Europe. Gender, Diaspora And Belonging' (0,8 Fte), Utrecht University, Netherlands, 18 days ago
Postdoc 'Digital Crossings in Europe. Gender, Diaspora and Belonging' (0,8 FTE) Functie As a Postdoc you will be working within the project 'Digital Crossings in Europe: Gender, Diaspora and Belon...
Research Fellow (76807 105), University of Warwick, United Kingdom, 1 day ago
Vacancy Overview Fixed term contract for up to 30 months (with an extension to 36 months subject to funding) You will undertake laboratory based microbiology/molecular biology research work to obt...
Post Doc Aboveground Belowground Interactions / Entomology (M/F), NIOO - KNAW, Netherlands, 12 days ago
Job posted by AcademicTransfer (26/09/2015 01.45) Marie Curie Actions. More 'HR Excellence in Research' logo awarded to institutions actively implementing the European Charter and Code for Researc...
Two Postdoctoral Researchers In History, Leiden University, Netherlands, 15 days ago
The Faculty of Humanities, Institute for History, vacancy 15-320 The Faculty of Humanities, Institute for History announces vacancies, starting date 1 January 2016, for: Two positions for postdoct...
Post Doctoral Research Assistant In Analysis, Delft University of Technology, Netherlands, 11 days ago
Post-doctoral Research Assistant in Analysis Department/faculty: Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science Level: PhD degree (post doc) Working hours: 38 hours per week Contract: 1 ...
Postdoctoral Fellow "Developing And Implementing Smart Grids In India" (V39.2368), Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands, 27 days ago
Intended starting date: December 1st, 2015 This position is embedded within a project funded by NWO under the call “Social Responsible Innovation”. The Postdoc will work with Prof. Geert Verbong a...