PhD Research in the Arts
|Line of action||:||Consolidating strengths|
|Part of NWO Theme||:||Cultural and societal dynamics|
|Apply||:||No, a new round is (still) uncertain|
The Netherlands Foundation for Visual Arts, Design and Architecture (Fonds BKVB) and NWO are making funds available for awarding two PhD positions for artists to do PhD research. A work of art is a form of knowledge, which is the result of an artistic research process. Artists can broaden their work of art by carrying out PhD research. Also research and knowledge can thus be presented and clarified in a different manner. With this initiative the Fonds BKVB and NWO want to facilitate research and reflection of artists and art. This is a means of strengthening the link between art and science, and of doing justice to the emerging, innovative research and artistic practices in a changing artistic and academic landscape.
Who can apply
The application must be submitted by the PhD-candidate.
Researchers from abroad may apply
What can be applied for
For each proposal a maximum of € 225,000 can be requested:
Based on 1.0 fte for 4 years, or based on 0.8 fte for 5 years:
- Salary Costs: € 198.532, -
- Bench fee: € 5.000, -
- Material costs: € 26.468, -
Based on 0.75 fte for 4 years, or based on 0.7 fte for 5 years:
- Salary Costs: € 148.899,-
- Bench fee: € 5.000,-
- Material costs: € 71.101,-
The bench fee is intended for things such as thesis expenses and visits to conferences (abroad). Material costs are intended for costs that are associated with the proposed research project.
When can be applied
- Closing date for the submission of preliminary proposals was 1 November 2011, 11:59 hrs.
- Closing date for the submission of full proposals was 29 March 2012, 11:59 hrs.
After submission applications can no longer be improved or supplemented.
The subsidy round PhD in the Arts consists of two phases, namely a preproposal phase (deadline 1 November 2011, 12.00) and a full proposal phase (deadline March 29, 2012, 12:00).
If there are enough prepoposals of sufficient quality, six applicants will be invited to submit a full proposal.
Research proposals are evaluated using the following criteria:
- previous results of the applicant (exhibitions, performances, publications, portfolios, research projects);
- any previous results related to the research proposal;
- feasibility of the research in terms of experience and training of the applicant.
- Fundamental principles
- importance of the proposal within artistic and possible scientific developments;
- originality/innovative character of the research plan;
- clarity of the research question
- Proposed results
- artistic result.
- arguments for the proportion of artistic and discursive aspects of the research;
- suitability of the proposed approach/methodology;
- thoroughness and phasing of the work plan.
- Relevance of the research
- knowledge production and transfer where both these terms are understood in relation to the artistic and academic discourse that the research is related to;
- current relevant of the research;
- social, cultural and artistic relevance.
Full information about eligibility, assessment criteria and the evaluation procedure can be found in the call for proposals. In short: the pre-proposals and, in the second phase, the full proposals are assessed by an assessment committee. The assessment committee advises a steering committee. The steering committee decides which applications (2 in total) will be funded.
The steering committee is responsible for the academic content and quality of the subsidy round PhD in the Arts. The proposals will be assessed by an ad hoc assessment committee.
The budget for the 2011-2012 call is € 450,000,-. With this two PhD positions can be funded.
The subsidy round PhD in the Arts is funded by:
- Foundation for Visual Arts, Design and Architectur;
- NWO Humanities.
- Mr P.C. (Coen) Wilders
phone: +31 (0)70 344 08 33, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Drs. Steven van Teeseling (Fonds BKVB)
phone: +31 (0)20 523 15 22, email: email@example.com
PhD Research in the Arts | call for proposals
This file (PDF, 15 pages) contains the call for proposals, and in the attachment the guidelines, for submitting a proposal PhD in the Arts (Version December, 2011).
last modified on 29 March 2012
Postdoctoral Research Fellow, University of Exeter, United Kingdom, about 9 hours ago
University of Exeter Business School This new full time post is available immediately on a fixed term basis until end of September 2018. The starting salary will be from GBP 33,943 on Grade F, dep...
Research Fellow Anatomy, University of Otago, New Zealand, about 10 hours ago
DEPARTMENT OF ANATOMY SCHOOL OF BIOMEDICAL SCIENCES The Role An exciting opportunity has arisen for a dynamic researcher with a developing international reputation in their field of research to jo...
Postdoctoral Researcher In Chiral Nano Optics, Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands, about 1 hour ago
We seek a highly talented, enthusiastic and motivated researcher to advance the frontiers of nano-optics. Position (Post-doctoral) Researcher Departments Department of Applied Physics Reference nu...
Postdoctoral Researcher In Hematology And Leukemia, Karolinska Institutet, Sweden, 14 days ago
The Department of Biosciences and Nutrition performs research and education in areas of medical science including bioorganic chemistry, molecular endocrinology, cancer biology, functional genomics...
Postdoctoral Research Position In Survival Analysis, Harvard University, United States, about 19 hours ago
Details Title Postdoctoral Research Position in Survival Analysis School Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health Department/Area Biostatistics Position Description The Department of Biostatistic...
Postdoctoral Research Assistant In Analysis And Design Of Two Phase Flow Turbine, University of Oxford, United Kingdom, 5 days ago
We are seeking a postdoctoral research assistant to join Professor L He’s research group at the Department of Engineering Science (based in the Southwell Building, Osney Mead). The post is funded ...