PhD Research in the Arts
|Line of action||:||Consolidating strengths|
|Part of NWO Theme||:||Cultural and societal dynamics|
|Apply||:||No, a new round is (still) uncertain|
The Netherlands Foundation for Visual Arts, Design and Architecture (Fonds BKVB) and NWO are making funds available for awarding two PhD positions for artists to do PhD research. A work of art is a form of knowledge, which is the result of an artistic research process. Artists can broaden their work of art by carrying out PhD research. Also research and knowledge can thus be presented and clarified in a different manner. With this initiative the Fonds BKVB and NWO want to facilitate research and reflection of artists and art. This is a means of strengthening the link between art and science, and of doing justice to the emerging, innovative research and artistic practices in a changing artistic and academic landscape.
Who can apply
The application must be submitted by the PhD-candidate.
Researchers from abroad may apply
What can be applied for
For each proposal a maximum of € 225,000 can be requested:
Based on 1.0 fte for 4 years, or based on 0.8 fte for 5 years:
- Salary Costs: € 198.532, -
- Bench fee: € 5.000, -
- Material costs: € 26.468, -
Based on 0.75 fte for 4 years, or based on 0.7 fte for 5 years:
- Salary Costs: € 148.899,-
- Bench fee: € 5.000,-
- Material costs: € 71.101,-
The bench fee is intended for things such as thesis expenses and visits to conferences (abroad). Material costs are intended for costs that are associated with the proposed research project.
When can be applied
- Closing date for the submission of preliminary proposals was 1 November 2011, 11:59 hrs.
- Closing date for the submission of full proposals was 29 March 2012, 11:59 hrs.
After submission applications can no longer be improved or supplemented.
The subsidy round PhD in the Arts consists of two phases, namely a preproposal phase (deadline 1 November 2011, 12.00) and a full proposal phase (deadline March 29, 2012, 12:00).
If there are enough prepoposals of sufficient quality, six applicants will be invited to submit a full proposal.
Research proposals are evaluated using the following criteria:
- previous results of the applicant (exhibitions, performances, publications, portfolios, research projects);
- any previous results related to the research proposal;
- feasibility of the research in terms of experience and training of the applicant.
- Fundamental principles
- importance of the proposal within artistic and possible scientific developments;
- originality/innovative character of the research plan;
- clarity of the research question
- Proposed results
- artistic result.
- arguments for the proportion of artistic and discursive aspects of the research;
- suitability of the proposed approach/methodology;
- thoroughness and phasing of the work plan.
- Relevance of the research
- knowledge production and transfer where both these terms are understood in relation to the artistic and academic discourse that the research is related to;
- current relevant of the research;
- social, cultural and artistic relevance.
Full information about eligibility, assessment criteria and the evaluation procedure can be found in the call for proposals. In short: the pre-proposals and, in the second phase, the full proposals are assessed by an assessment committee. The assessment committee advises a steering committee. The steering committee decides which applications (2 in total) will be funded.
The steering committee is responsible for the academic content and quality of the subsidy round PhD in the Arts. The proposals will be assessed by an ad hoc assessment committee.
The budget for the 2011-2012 call is € 450,000,-. With this two PhD positions can be funded.
The subsidy round PhD in the Arts is funded by:
- Foundation for Visual Arts, Design and Architectur;
- NWO Humanities.
- Mr P.C. (Coen) Wilders
phone: +31 (0)70 344 08 33, e-mail: email@example.com
- Drs. Steven van Teeseling (Fonds BKVB)
phone: +31 (0)20 523 15 22, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
PhD Research in the Arts | call for proposals
This file (PDF, 15 pages) contains the call for proposals, and in the attachment the guidelines, for submitting a proposal PhD in the Arts (Version December, 2011).
last modified on 29 March 2012
European Blaschko Visiting Research Fellow, University of Oxford, United Kingdom, 11 days ago
Applications are invited from postdoctoral scientists or PhD students in final stages of their studies (submit thesis by September 2016) for the above fellowship. The fellowship is for 2 years fro...
Junior Research Group Leader In Mathematics, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, Germany, 7 days ago
Job posted by Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (17/11/2015 11.02) Marie Curie Actions. More 'HR Excellence in Research' logo awarded to institutions actively implementing the European Charter and...
] Postdoctoral Positions In Theoretical Physics , , United States, 15 days ago
The Instituto de Física Corpuscular, IFIC – Severo Ochoa Excellence Centre, a joint research institute of the Spanish Research Council (CSIC) and the University of Valencia, invites applications f...
Postdoc Positions Erc Advanced Grant A Datadrive B, KU Leuven, Belgium, 14 days ago
Job posted by KU Leuven (10/11/2015 01.45) Marie Curie Actions. More 'HR Excellence in Research' logo awarded to institutions actively implementing the European Charter and Code for Researchers. M...
Postdoctoral Scholars, Pennsylvania State University, United States, 16 days ago
Description The Department of Statistics has a continuing need for qualified postdoctoral scholars in a variety of research areas. Information on the department and our research can be found at on...
Veterinary Research Fellowship In Emerging & Zoonotic Infections Grade 6/7, University of Liverpool, United Kingdom, 11 days ago
Faculty of Health and Life Sciences, Institute of Infection and Global Health, NIHR Health Protection Research in Emerging & Zoonotic Infections Unit The National Institute for Health Research (NI...