- Specifications - (explanation)
Location Leiden Function types Professors, associate professors, assistant professors and lecturers Scientific fields Behaviour and Society, Language and Culture Hours 30.4 hours per week Education Doctorate End procedure 30 September 2011 Job number 11-181 Translations zh en
- Apply for this job within 13 days
Within the General History section of the Institute for History at the Faculty of Humanities (Leiden University) a position will be available from 1 February 2012 for an enthusiastic University Lecturer to carry out activities in the field of Early Modern European History (16th to early 19th century). The appointment is for a period of five years, with the possibility of extension thereafter.
The General History section of the Institute for History focuses on the history of politics and culture in Europe, Asia, and the Americas, as well as on the processes of European expansion and globalization. Within the General History section there is an opening for a lecturer/researcher holding a PhD, with experience in teaching and research inany area of Early Modern European History (16th to early 19th century). We exclude the history of the Netherlands, which is the responsibility of a separate section at the Institute; we welcome applicants able to relate their European expertise to non-European themes and regions.
- Teaching in the field of General History of Europe, c. 1500-1830 in the bachelor’s phase (primarily Dutch-language) and master’s phase (primarily English-language).
- Jointly organizing the teaching within the General History section.
- Carrying out research, resulting in the publication of relevant articles and books in the field of Early Modern European History.
- Initiating new research projects. We hope the successful candidate will apply for research funding from external bodies such as the ERC and the Dutch funding body NWO.
- Administrative responsibilities
- Proven teaching experience and didactic capabilities.
- A completed PhD dissertation in the field of European Early Modern History, and relevant publications in the field.
- Well-developed research plans, which will contribute to the development of an Early Modern research profile within the section and the institute.
- Willingness to participate in all aspects of the teaching within the General History section and the MA specialization in Medieval and Early Modern European History
- Ability to teach in Dutch and English; Candidates without knowledge of Dutch will be expected to acquire basic skills in teaching in the Dutch language within the first year of their appointment.
- Leiden University requires staff to obtain the Basic Teaching Qualification (BKO). In case the successful applicant does not possess this qualification or its equivalent, the Institute will offer support in obtaining it.
Conditions of employment
The appointment is for 30.4 hours per week in temporary employment for one year, to be extended for the remaining four years upon positive evaluation. The position corresponds to the position of University Lecturer in the University system of job profiles (UFO).
The salary is in accordance with the collective salary agreement of the Association of Dutch universities (CAO) and depending on qualifications and experience, the gross monthly salary is € 3.195,00 (scale 11) to € 4,970 (scale 12) for a full working week. You will receive a holiday allowance amounting to 8% and an end-of-year bonus of 8.3% of your yearly income.
Leiden is a typical university city, hosting the oldest university in the Netherlands (1575). The University permeates the local surroundings; University premises are scattered throughout the city, and the students who live and study in Leiden give the city its relaxed yet vibrant atmosphere.
Leiden University is one of Europe's foremost research universities. This prominent position gives our graduates a leading edge in applying for academic posts and for functions outside academia.
The Institute for History of the Faculty of Humanities
The institute is responsible for the main part of the historical research carried out at Leiden University. The Institute has a broad and wide-reaching academic scope. Its strong international orientation and focus on the study of European and non-European societies in a global context gives the Institute a unique character in the Netherlands.
Further information regarding this position can be obtained from:
Dr R.P. Fagel (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Professor Jeroen Duindam (email@example.com)
Information on the MA courses at Leiden’s history department is available in English at: www.hum.leiden.edu/ma-history/
Information in English on the structure and organisation of BA courses is available on request from Dr. Fagel.
More information about employer Leiden University on AcademicTransfer. Direct link to this job opening: www.academictransfer.com/10523
Apply for this job within 13 days »
Postdoc Position In Cognitive Neuroscience, Leiden University, Netherlands, 19 days ago
Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences, department of Psychology, section Cognitive Psychology, vacancy 14-282 The Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences, department of Psychology, section...
Postdoc Position In Cognitive Neuroscience, Leiden University, Netherlands, 17 days ago
Job posted by AcademicTransfer (06/11/2014 02.15) Marie Curie Actions. More 'HR Excellence in Research' logo awarded to institutions actively implementing the European Charter and Code for Researc...
Postdoc Position Economic And Social History, Utrecht University, Netherlands, 6 days ago
Postdoc position Economic and Social History Functie As a postdoc you will work within the ERC-funded project “Coordinating for life. Success and failure of Western European societies in coping wi...
Post Doc In Molecular Biology Techniques In Human Pluripotent Stem Cells, KU Leuven, Belgium, 22 days ago
Job posted by KU Leuven (01/11/2014 00.30) Marie Curie Actions. More 'HR Excellence in Research' logo awarded to institutions actively implementing the European Charter and Code for Researchers. M...
University Assistant (Post Doc), Department of East European History, Austria, 2 days ago
Job posted by University of Vienna (JOBCENTER) (21/11/2014 00.45) Marie Curie Actions. More 'HR Excellence in Research' logo awarded to institutions actively implementing the European Charter and ...
Postdoctoral Candidate With Strong Background In Hematopoietic Stem Cell Biology., KU Leuven, Belgium, 9 days ago
Job posted by KU Leuven (14/11/2014 11.39) Marie Curie Actions. More 'HR Excellence in Research' logo awarded to institutions actively implementing the European Charter and Code for Researchers. M...