JADS: New research initiative on data science: 3-4 PhD positions on data science, theme Services in a joint research initiative between Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) and Tilburg University (TiU)
Department of Mathematics & Computer Science
Data Science Center Eindhoven
JADS: New research initiative on data science
The Jheronimus Academy of Data Science (JADS) is the unique collaboration of two renowned universities bringing together their top academics to further the emerging and multidisciplinary academic field of data science. JADS not only offers nine academic educational programs (Bachelor, Master, PD.ENG, PhD and Professional) but also hosts three research centers; the Data Science Center Eindhoven (DSC/e), the Data Science Center Tilburg (DSC/t), and the Data Science Center Den Bosch (DSC/db) at the new Mariënburg campus. At these centers we conduct groundbreaking research on data science and create concrete societal value.
The new Mariënburg campus on Data Science is located in a historic and beautiful former convent in the heart of the medieval city of ‘s-Hertogenbosch and is within walking distance from the central train station. It is the place where academics with engineering and business/social competences meet each other and participate in a wide-spread data science ecosystem. It is a buzzing and diverse place where learning based on data has center stage. The Mariënburg campus hosts lecture halls, academic labs, student apartments, data start-ups, corporate field labs, a coder dojo, and a data artist. By mixing students, academics, and companies, all on the topic of data science, we aim to cross-fertilize, innovate and transform data into value-adding insights and wisdom to advance companies, governments and society at large.
The Mariënburg Research Themes
The Mariënburg research group focuses on four themes that will each be addressed through collaboration from several disciplines:
- Theme 1: Business in a world of Data
- Theme 2: Humans in a world of Data
- Theme 3: Rules in a world of Data
- Theme 4: Services in a world of Data
In all cases PhD researchers will have their home base in Mariënburg. Moreover, PhD researchers typically will have one supervisor from Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) and one from Tilburg University (TiU).
Theme: Services in a world of Data
Data Science requires new, innovative and scalable technology to collect, host and analytically process the vast amount of (varied) data gathered in order to provide actionable insights that bring value. In addition, new methodologies are needed to design, develop, and implement innovative smart integrative solutions.
The Mariënburg “Services in a World of Data” theme will kick-start its research activities with the following subthemes:
- Smart Data Services and Business Models in a World of IoT. The smart data processing subtheme will focus on the ability to clearly define, interoperate, openly share, access, transform, link, syndicate, and manage data from disparate big data sources. This requires the ability to process data in-flight (streams) while being aware of the context. Here we will also focus on the pricing of smart (micro) services and the business models that are relevant for distributed networks in the era of IoT.
- Data Stewardship, Data Governance and Methodology. Novel methodology for smart data applications using possibly a fusion of an agile, DevOps and MDM environment is adaptive, promotes evolutionary development and continuous improvement, and provides a comprehensive framework to help organize development efforts to maximize business and societal benefits when developing smart applications.
This theme has openings for 3-4 PhD researchers. We are looking for PhD researchers with expertise in one or more of the following fields: data engineering, data governance, data stewardship, computer science, and information systems.
PhD researchers are expected to:
- Perform scientific research in the domain described;
- Collaborate with other researchers in this project;
- Present results at (international) conferences;
- Publish results in scientific journals;
- Participate in activities of the group, not only in ‘s Hertogenbosch but also in Eindhoven and Tilburg;
- Assist in teaching undergraduate/graduate courses;
- Be willing to work at multiple locations (the Mariënburg campus will be the main office of the Ph.D. candidate, but one may also be temporary stationed at TU/e and/or at TiU or with one of our partners).
The core team consist of prof. W.J.A.M. (Willem-Jan) van den Heuvel and prof.dr.ir. M. (Mike) Papazoglou, both working at Tilburg University.
- Have a Master degree in Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, Psychology, Econometrics, Law or a related discipline;
- Have a strong interest in data science research;
- Be highly motivated, be rigorous and disciplined when developing algorithms and software according to high quality standards;
- Be a fast learner, autonomous and creative, show dedication and be hard working;
- Possess good communication capabilities and be an efficient team worker;
- Be fluent in English, both spoken and written.
Conditions of employment
Appointment and salary
The PhD-candidate will be employed at Tilburg University (TiU) or Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e). PhD researchers will be officially appointed at the department of the professor who will act as prime PhD supervisor. We offer:
- A full-time temporary appointment. The duration of the contract will depend on where the organizational positioning will take place;
- A gross salary of € 2,191 per month in the first year increasing up to € 2,801 per month in the fourth year;
- A holiday allowance of 8% and an end-of-year bonus of 8.3% (annually);
- Researchers from outside the Netherlands may qualify for a tax-free allowance equal to 30% of their taxable salary. The University will apply for such an allowance on their behalf;
- Assistance in finding accommodation (for foreign employees);
- The opportunity to perform research in a large-scale joint project from a leading technical university and a leading high-tech company;
- Support for your personal development and career planning including participation in the EIT doctoral training, courses, summer schools, conference visits, research visits to other institutes (both academic and industrial), etc.;
- A broad package of fringe benefits (including excellent technical infrastructure, child day care, savings schemes and excellent sport facilities).
Information and application
For more information about the initiative, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org .
The only way to apply is online by following the button “apply now” or "solliciteer direct". Applications via e-mail will not be accepted. By using the "apply now" or "solliciteer direct" button, you automatically will be forwarded to this specific vacancy on the website of Tilburg University (TiU). Because of the collaberation between JADS, Tilburg University (TiU) and Eindhoven University of Technogoly (TU/e) further information and correspondence regarding the recruitment process will be given by Tilburg University (TiU).
Candidates are asked to provide a detailed CV and a motivation letter that indicates one or more of the PhD projects that the candidate wishes to apply for. If your are interested in several PhD projects, please apply for the projects separately (by selecting the themes/vacancies you want to apply for).
Applications should be submitted 6 June 2017 at the latest. Selection will be on-going in the period March, 2017 - July, 2017. This means that suitable candidates will be interviewed and if deemed fit, be hired immediately without waiting for applications of other candidates.
Ph D Candidate In Electro Catalysis, Leiden University, Netherlands, 6 days ago
Leiden University, the Faculty of Science, Leiden Institute of Chemistry, is looking for a PhD candidate in Electro catalysis (2 positions, 1.0 FTE) Vacancy number 17-301 Two PhD positions are ava...
Ph D Scholarship In Grid Impact Of Local, Blockchain Based Energy Markets, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, 3 days ago
Apply no later than 20 August 2017 Apply for the job at DTU Electrical Eng by completing the following form. Apply online The Energy Systems Operation and Management (ESOM) group at the Center for...
Ph D Scholarship In Perfusion Ultrasound Imaging, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, 3 days ago
Apply no later than 24 July 2017 Apply for the job at DTU Electrical Eng by completing the following form. Apply online A 3-year PhD scholarship is available at the Center for Fast Ultrasound Imag...
Ph D Scholarship In Protease Degradomics, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, 3 days ago
Apply no later than 26 July 2017 Apply for the job at DTU Bioengineering by completing the following form. Apply online A 3-year PhD position is available in the section for Protein Science & Sign...
Ph D Student 'exploring The Causes And Consequences Of Compulsive Socialmedia Use Among Adolescents In A Cross National Context (0,8 Fte), Utrecht University, Netherlands, 15 days ago
PhD student 'Exploring the causes and consequences of compulsive socialmedia use among adolescents in a cross-national context (0,8 FTE) Functie You will be employed at the Department of Interdisc...
Ph D Scholarship In Bacterial Pathogen Metabolism, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, 3 days ago
Apply no later than 31 August 2017 Apply for the job at DTU Electrical Eng by completing the following form. Apply online A PhD scholarship is available in the Center for Hyperpolarization in Magn...