JADS: New research initiative on data science: 2-3 PhD positions on data science, theme Rules in a joint research initiative between Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) and Tilburg University (TiU)
Department of Mathematics & Computer Science
Data Science Center Eindhoven
JADS: New research initiative on data science
The Jheronimus Academy of Data Science (JADS) is the unique collaboration of two renowned universities bringing together their top academics to further the emerging and multidisciplinary academic field of data science. JADS not only offers nine academic educational programs (Bachelor, Master, PD.ENG, PhD and Professional) but also hosts three research centers; the Data Science Center Eindhoven (DSC/e), the Data Science Center Tilburg (DSC/t), and the Data Science Center Den Bosch (DSC/db) at the new Mariënburg campus. At these centers we conduct groundbreaking research on data science and create concrete societal value.
The new Mariënburg campus on Data Science is located in a historic and beautiful former convent in the heart of the medieval city of ‘s-Hertogenbosch and is within walking distance from the central train station. It is the place where academics with engineering and business/social competences meet each other and participate in a wide-spread data science ecosystem. It is a buzzing and diverse place where learning based on data has center stage. The Mariënburg campus hosts lecture halls, academic labs, student apartments, data start-ups, corporate field labs, a coder dojo, and a data artist. By mixing students, academics, and companies, all on the topic of data science, we aim to cross-fertilize, innovate and transform data into value-adding insights and wisdom to advance companies, governments and society at large.
The Mariënburg Research Themes
The Mariënburg research group focuses on four themes that will each be addressed through collaboration from several disciplines:
- Theme 1: Business in a world of Data
- Theme 2: Humans in a world of Data
- Theme 3: Rules in a world of Data
- Theme 4: Services in a world of Data
In all cases PhD researchers will have their home base in Mariënburg. Moreover, PhD researchers typically will have one supervisor from Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) and one from Tilburg University (TiU).
Theme: Rules in a world of Data
Data Science comes with deep economic, ethical, legal, and societal challenges. It interferes with our existing social values. Responsible Data Science goes beyond legal compliance; not everything that is possible should be done. It increasingly becomes clear that ethical and practical guidance for Data Science practitioners and decision-makers is necessary. On the instrumental side of law in relation to Data Science, relevant topics are data ownership, how to legally protect investment and development in the context of large datasets, liability for faulty, and biased decisions by (self-learning) algorithms.
The Mariënburg “Rules in a World of Data” theme will initiate its research activities with the following subthemes:
- Data Science Ethics. In this subtheme, we will develop practical guidelines for data scientists and the organizations they work for helping them to make informed choices regarding the ethics related to their research projects.
- Data Science - Data Protection Impact Assessment (DS-DPIA). This subtheme aims to develop a practical instrument that helps data scientists and organizations to comply with the law and beyond. The subtheme will involve collaboration of legal scholars and engineers to derive tools that fit their target audience.
- The Impact of Data Technologies on the Legal Profession. Artificial Intelligence and Predictive Analysis will have a big impact on the legal profession. It will transform the role of the law, including that of lawyers in the delivery of legal services. This subtheme will study this impact by creating new legal services and innovative business models for legal professionals and testing these in real-life situations.
This theme has openings for 2-3 PhD researchers. We are looking for PhD researchers with expertise in one or more of the following fields: data mining, machine learning, and law.
PhD researchers are expected to:
- Perform scientific research in the domain described;
- Collaborate with other researchers in this project;
- Present results at (international) conferences;
- Publish results in scientific journals;
- Participate in activities of the group, not only in ‘s-Hertogenbosch both also in Eindhoven and Tilburg;
- Assist in teaching undergraduate/graduate courses;
- Be willing to work at multiple locations (the Mariënburg campus will be the main office of the PhD candidate, but one may also be temporary stationed at TU/e and/or TiU or with one of our partners)
The core team consists of prof. dr. R.E. (Ronald) Leenes (focus on privacy), prof. dr. I.N. (Ianika) Tzankova (Impact of Data Technology), and mr. drs. K.M. (Koen) van Holten (Impact of Data Technology), all working at Tilburg University.
- Have a Master degree in Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, Psychology, Econometrics, Law or a related discipline;
- Have a strong interest in data science research;
- Be highly motivated, be rigorous and disciplined when developing algorithms and software according to high quality standards;
- Be a fast learner, autonomous and creative, show dedication and be hard working;
- Possess good communication capabilities and be an efficient team worker;
- Be fluent in English, both spoken and written.
Conditions of employment
Appointment and salary
The PhD-candidate will be employed at Tilburg University (TiU) or Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e). PhD researchers will be officially appointed at the department of the professor who will act as prime PhD supervisor. We offer:
- A full-time temporary appointment. The duration of the contract will depend on where the organizational positioning will take place;
- A gross salary of € 2,191 per month in the first year increasing up to € 2,801 per month in the fourth year;
- A holiday allowance of 8% and an end-of-year bonus of 8.3% (annually);
- Researchers from outside the Netherlands may qualify for a tax-free allowance equal to 30% of their taxable salary. The University will apply for such an allowance on their behalf;
- Assistance in finding accommodation (for foreign employees);
- The opportunity to perform research in a large-scale joint project from a leading technical university and a leading high-tech company;
- Support for your personal development and career planning including participation in the EIT doctoral training, courses, summer schools, conference visits, research visits to other institutes (both academic and industrial), etc.;
- A broad package of fringe benefits (including excellent technical infrastructure, child day care, savings schemes and excellent sport facilities).
Information and application
For more information about the initiative, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org .
The only way to apply is online by following the button “apply now” or "solliciteer direct". Applications via e-mail will not be accepted. By using the "apply now" or "solliciteer direct" button, you automatically will be forwarded to this specific vacancy on the website of Tilburg University (TiU). Because of the collaberation between JADS, Tilburg University (TiU) and Eindhoven University of Technogoly (TU/e) further information and correspondence regarding the recruitment process will be given by Tilburg University (TiU).
Candidates are asked to provide a detailed CV and a motivation letter that indicates one or more of the PhD projects that the candidate wishes to apply for. If your are interested in several PhD projects, please apply for the projects separately (by selecting the themes/vacancies you want to apply for).
Applications should be submitted 1 July 2017 at the latest. Selection will be on-going in the period March, 2017 - July, 2017. This means that suitable candidates will be interviewed and if deemed fit, be hired immediately without waiting for applications of other candidates.
Ph D Scholarships In Cell Factory Development, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, about 16 hours ago
Apply no later than 31 May 2017 Apply for the job at DTU Bioengineering by completing the following form. Apply online Three PhD positions are available in the Eukaryotic Molecular Cell Biology Gr...
Ph D Position In Nano Biophotonics For Light Robotics, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, about 15 hours ago
Apply no later than 15 June 2017 Apply for the job at DTU Fotonik by completing the following form. Apply online Center for Biopharmaceuticals and Biobarriers in Drug Delivery Novo Nordisk Foundat...
Ph D Position In The Networks Technologies And Service Platforms Group, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, about 16 hours ago
Apply no later than 2 June 2017 Apply for the job at DTU Fotonik by completing the following form. Apply online The Department of Photonics Engineering at the Technical University of Denmark has a...
Ph D Scholarship In Noise In Waveguides For Signal Processing, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, about 15 hours ago
Apply no later than 16 June 2017 Apply for the job at DTU Fotonik by completing the following form. Apply online DTU Fotonik works with all areas of photonic engineering, including a strong focus ...
Ph D Position Negotiating Fiscal Norms, Property And Labour In Dutch Ceylon 0.8 1.0 Fte, Radboud University, Netherlands, about 5 hours ago
At Radboud University, we do research and teach programmes covering the full width of the academic spectrum. We do this on a green, modern campus with state-of-the-art facilities. The atmosphere o...
Ph D Scholarship In Mucosal Immunology, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, 7 days ago
Apply no later than 22 May 2017 Apply for the job at DTU Vet by completing the following form. Apply online A PhD position is available from 1st September 2017 in the Mucosal Immunology group head...