Forest 3-D characterization using SAR tomography: techniques and applications
SAR tomography is a coherent imaging technique from which may be derived 3-D maps of the electromagnetic (EM) reflectivity of complex environments, and which revealed particularly well adapted to forest characterization (to estimate height, density, underlying ground topography, biomass). It will be implemented for the first time in a spaceborne radar context, in the frame of ESA's Earth Explorer mission BIOMASS, to be launched in 2020. In particular, studies conducted at CESBIO showed that robust biomass estimators could be derived using P band data, over tropical forests in French Guyana. An analysis jointly led by IETR and CNES further refined this approach and established an analytical relationship using a simplified structural model.
The work to be carried out during this Ph.D. study concerns three major axes of investigation :
- Evaluation of the generalization of results obtained in French Guyana to acquisition performed in Gabon during the AFRISAR campaign in 2015 : pre-processing and 3-D focusing of airborne SAR data with precise topographic compensation, space-polarization decomposition, estimation, simulation of spaceborne BIOMASS data
- Estimation of realistic structural features of a forest cover : development of advanced tomographic SAR techniques (adaptive parametric approaches, using simple EM models of a vertically structures medium), adaptive sparse parametric estimation adapted to data acquired with polarization diversity.
- Preparation of the future BIOMASS mission through the study of the temporal evolution of tropical forest scattering patterns: influence of meteorological conditions during the data acquisition cycle (rain, wind) as well as evaluation of the potential of synergy with other types of data, such as LiDAR acquisitions or L band data that may become available through a tandem spaceborne mission.
This work will be performed in cooperation with different research institutes involved in the preparation of the BIOMASS mission : CESBIO, IRSTEA, Politecnico di Milano, EDB, ONERA.
- D. Ho Tong Minh, T. L. Toan, F. Rocca, S. Tebaldini, M. M. d'Alessandro, L. Villard, "Relating P-Band Synthetic Aperture Radar Tomography to Tropical Forest Biomass," in IEEE TGRS, 52(2), Feb. 2014.
- B. El Hajj Chehade, L. Ferro-Famil, H. T. M. Dinh, T. Le Toan and S. Tebaldini, "Tropical forest biomass retrieval using P-band PolTomSAR data," EUSAR 2016, Hamburg, Germany, 2016
- M. Neumann, L. Ferro-Famil, A. Reigber, "Estimation of Forest Structure, Ground, and Canopy Layer Characteristics From Multibaseline Polarimetric Interferometric SAR Data," in IEEE TGRS, 48(3), March 2010.
- D. Ho Tong Minh, S. Tebaldini, F. Rocca and T. Le Toan, "The Impact of Temporal Decorrelation on BIOMASS Tomography of Tropical Forests," in IEEE GRSL, 12(6), June 2015.
- S. Tebaldini, F. Rocca, M. Mariotti d'Alessandro and L. Ferro-Famil, "Phase Calibration of Airborne Tomographic SAR Data via Phase Center Double Localization," in IEEE TGRS 54(3), March 2016.
Organization (start Sept./Oct. 2017, duration 3 years)
- Host institution : IETR (University of Rennes 1, France)
- Supervision: Laurent FERRO-FAMIL (IETR) (Dir), Dinh HO TONG MINH (IRSTEA), Thierry KOLECK (CNES)
Candidate profile :
- M.Sc. in Elec. Eng., Remote Sensing, Signal and Information Processing, Telecommunications...
- Basic knowledge in at least 2 of the following fields : radar, remote sensing, signal and information processing, wave propagation.
How to apply : APPLICATION DEADLINE March 29th 2017
Send a CV, official M.Sc. grade transcripts and at least one letter of recommendation to firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Master's And Doctoral Degree Programs(Sponsored By Korean Government Scholarship Program, Kgsp) At The Dept. Of Biomedical Gerontology, Hallym University, South Korea, Hallym University, South Korea, 11 days ago
The Dept. of Biomedical Gerontology, Graduate School, Hallym University is looking for applicants passionate and competent in research for the best Korean scholarship for graduate studies, sponsore...
Ph D Position For Forexclim Project 60 % For 36 Month, Technische Universität München, Germany, 15 minutes ago
27.03.2017, Wissenschaftliches Personal In the scope of the FP7 ERA-NET Sumforest funded project “FOREXCLIM”, we invite applications for a PhD position E13 TV-L, 60 %, limited for 3 years About us...
Recruiting 3 Marie Sklodowska Curie Ph D Students At H2020 Etn Secret, Instituto de Telecomunicações - H2020-SECRET project, Portugal, 11 days ago
THE NETWORKSECRET is a collaborative European Training Network (ETN) targeting “Mobile Small Cells on Demand” harnessing on current 5G paradigms towards Enhanced Broadband Connectivity and Gigabit ...
Ph D Studentship In Psychoacoustics (Eu Itn), University of Liverpool, United Kingdom, 19 days ago
Subjective evaluation of floor impact sounds in lightweight buildings Acoustics Research Unit at the University of Liverpool is currently seeking an Early Stage Researchers (ESR) for a duratio...
Ph D Position For Planning And Verifying Maneuvers Of Automated Vehicles, Technische Universität München, Germany, 15 minutes ago
23.03.2017, Wissenschaftliches Personal The Research Group “Cyber-Physical Systems” of Prof. Matthias Althoff at the Technische Universität München offers a PhD position within the EU project inte...
Open Ph D Position For Integrated Silicon Photonics At The Tu Braunschweig (Germany) , TU-Braunschweig, Germany, 19 days ago
Summary: The Institut für Hochfrequenztechnik at the Technical University Braunschweig is pleased to offer a PhD position in integrated silicon photonics, optical communications and optical signal ...