Forest 3-D characterization using SAR tomography: techniques and applications
SAR tomography is a coherent imaging technique from which may be derived 3-D maps of the electromagnetic (EM) reflectivity of complex environments, and which revealed particularly well adapted to forest characterization (to estimate height, density, underlying ground topography, biomass). It will be implemented for the first time in a spaceborne radar context, in the frame of ESA's Earth Explorer mission BIOMASS, to be launched in 2020. In particular, studies conducted at CESBIO showed that robust biomass estimators could be derived using P band data, over tropical forests in French Guyana. An analysis jointly led by IETR and CNES further refined this approach and established an analytical relationship using a simplified structural model.
The work to be carried out during this Ph.D. study concerns three major axes of investigation :
- Evaluation of the generalization of results obtained in French Guyana to acquisition performed in Gabon during the AFRISAR campaign in 2015 : pre-processing and 3-D focusing of airborne SAR data with precise topographic compensation, space-polarization decomposition, estimation, simulation of spaceborne BIOMASS data
- Estimation of realistic structural features of a forest cover : development of advanced tomographic SAR techniques (adaptive parametric approaches, using simple EM models of a vertically structures medium), adaptive sparse parametric estimation adapted to data acquired with polarization diversity.
- Preparation of the future BIOMASS mission through the study of the temporal evolution of tropical forest scattering patterns: influence of meteorological conditions during the data acquisition cycle (rain, wind) as well as evaluation of the potential of synergy with other types of data, such as LiDAR acquisitions or L band data that may become available through a tandem spaceborne mission.
This work will be performed in cooperation with different research institutes involved in the preparation of the BIOMASS mission : CESBIO, IRSTEA, Politecnico di Milano, EDB, ONERA.
- D. Ho Tong Minh, T. L. Toan, F. Rocca, S. Tebaldini, M. M. d'Alessandro, L. Villard, "Relating P-Band Synthetic Aperture Radar Tomography to Tropical Forest Biomass," in IEEE TGRS, 52(2), Feb. 2014.
- B. El Hajj Chehade, L. Ferro-Famil, H. T. M. Dinh, T. Le Toan and S. Tebaldini, "Tropical forest biomass retrieval using P-band PolTomSAR data," EUSAR 2016, Hamburg, Germany, 2016
- M. Neumann, L. Ferro-Famil, A. Reigber, "Estimation of Forest Structure, Ground, and Canopy Layer Characteristics From Multibaseline Polarimetric Interferometric SAR Data," in IEEE TGRS, 48(3), March 2010.
- D. Ho Tong Minh, S. Tebaldini, F. Rocca and T. Le Toan, "The Impact of Temporal Decorrelation on BIOMASS Tomography of Tropical Forests," in IEEE GRSL, 12(6), June 2015.
- S. Tebaldini, F. Rocca, M. Mariotti d'Alessandro and L. Ferro-Famil, "Phase Calibration of Airborne Tomographic SAR Data via Phase Center Double Localization," in IEEE TGRS 54(3), March 2016.
Organization (start Sept./Oct. 2017, duration 3 years)
- Host institution : IETR (University of Rennes 1, France)
- Supervision: Laurent FERRO-FAMIL (IETR) (Dir), Dinh HO TONG MINH (IRSTEA), Thierry KOLECK (CNES)
Candidate profile :
- M.Sc. in Elec. Eng., Remote Sensing, Signal and Information Processing, Telecommunications...
- Basic knowledge in at least 2 of the following fields : radar, remote sensing, signal and information processing, wave propagation.
How to apply : APPLICATION DEADLINE March 29th 2017
Send a CV, official M.Sc. grade transcripts and at least one letter of recommendation to email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
3 Ph D Positions At Aix Marseille University Offered By The Ph D Program In Neuroscience, Aix-Marseille University, France, 24 days ago
In 2017, the PhD program in Integrative and Clinical Neurosciences at Aix-Marseille University will grant 3 PhD scholarships to Master graduates students from top ranked non-French universities on ...
Ph D Position In Urban Remote Sensing, Université Libre de Bruxelles, Belgium, 24 days ago
PhD position in Urban Remote Sensing (Geography)A PhD position is open at the Department of Geosciences, Environment and Societies (DGES) of the Université libre de Bruxelles (Belgium), in connecti...
Ph D Scholar, The University of Queensland, Australia, about 5 hours ago
Apply now Job no:500640 Area:Faculty of Science Salary (FTE):APA Scholarship NON-BANDED ($26,682.00 - $26,682.00) Work type:Full Time - Fixed Term, Full Time - Scholarship Location: St Lucia, Bris...
Commonwealth Master’s Scholarships In South Africa And Sri Lanka, Massey University, New Zealand, about 12 hours ago
Closing date: 30/06/2017 These Commonwealth Scholarships give talented students - who can be from any Commonwealth country other than the host country - the opportunity to gain a degree while deve...
Ph D Studentship: The Derivation And Integration Of Detailed Particle Characteristics To Enhance Particle Numerical Methods, The University of Southampton, United Kingdom, about 3 hours ago
Engineering & the Environment Location: Highfield Campus Closing Date: Saturday 12 May 2018 Reference: 871217F2 Project Reference: EngSci-ET-312 Particle systems are ubiquitous across the environm...
Tim And Kathryn Hirshman Indonesian Award Ugtr1002, University of New South Wales, Australia, about 10 hours ago
Key Scholarship Details Stage Second year students, Third year and above, Honours year students, Postgraduate students Opens 26/04/2017 Closing Date 31/05/2017 For commencement Semester 2 2017 Val...