Forest 3-D characterization using SAR tomography: techniques and applications
SAR tomography is a coherent imaging technique from which may be derived 3-D maps of the electromagnetic (EM) reflectivity of complex environments, and which revealed particularly well adapted to forest characterization (to estimate height, density, underlying ground topography, biomass). It will be implemented for the first time in a spaceborne radar context, in the frame of ESA's Earth Explorer mission BIOMASS, to be launched in 2020. In particular, studies conducted at CESBIO showed that robust biomass estimators could be derived using P band data, over tropical forests in French Guyana. An analysis jointly led by IETR and CNES further refined this approach and established an analytical relationship using a simplified structural model.
The work to be carried out during this Ph.D. study concerns three major axes of investigation :
- Evaluation of the generalization of results obtained in French Guyana to acquisition performed in Gabon during the AFRISAR campaign in 2015 : pre-processing and 3-D focusing of airborne SAR data with precise topographic compensation, space-polarization decomposition, estimation, simulation of spaceborne BIOMASS data
- Estimation of realistic structural features of a forest cover : development of advanced tomographic SAR techniques (adaptive parametric approaches, using simple EM models of a vertically structures medium), adaptive sparse parametric estimation adapted to data acquired with polarization diversity.
- Preparation of the future BIOMASS mission through the study of the temporal evolution of tropical forest scattering patterns: influence of meteorological conditions during the data acquisition cycle (rain, wind) as well as evaluation of the potential of synergy with other types of data, such as LiDAR acquisitions or L band data that may become available through a tandem spaceborne mission.
This work will be performed in cooperation with different research institutes involved in the preparation of the BIOMASS mission : CESBIO, IRSTEA, Politecnico di Milano, EDB, ONERA.
- D. Ho Tong Minh, T. L. Toan, F. Rocca, S. Tebaldini, M. M. d'Alessandro, L. Villard, "Relating P-Band Synthetic Aperture Radar Tomography to Tropical Forest Biomass," in IEEE TGRS, 52(2), Feb. 2014.
- B. El Hajj Chehade, L. Ferro-Famil, H. T. M. Dinh, T. Le Toan and S. Tebaldini, "Tropical forest biomass retrieval using P-band PolTomSAR data," EUSAR 2016, Hamburg, Germany, 2016
- M. Neumann, L. Ferro-Famil, A. Reigber, "Estimation of Forest Structure, Ground, and Canopy Layer Characteristics From Multibaseline Polarimetric Interferometric SAR Data," in IEEE TGRS, 48(3), March 2010.
- D. Ho Tong Minh, S. Tebaldini, F. Rocca and T. Le Toan, "The Impact of Temporal Decorrelation on BIOMASS Tomography of Tropical Forests," in IEEE GRSL, 12(6), June 2015.
- S. Tebaldini, F. Rocca, M. Mariotti d'Alessandro and L. Ferro-Famil, "Phase Calibration of Airborne Tomographic SAR Data via Phase Center Double Localization," in IEEE TGRS 54(3), March 2016.
Organization (start Sept./Oct. 2017, duration 3 years)
- Host institution : IETR (University of Rennes 1, France)
- Supervision: Laurent FERRO-FAMIL (IETR) (Dir), Dinh HO TONG MINH (IRSTEA), Thierry KOLECK (CNES)
Candidate profile :
- M.Sc. in Elec. Eng., Remote Sensing, Signal and Information Processing, Telecommunications...
- Basic knowledge in at least 2 of the following fields : radar, remote sensing, signal and information processing, wave propagation.
How to apply : APPLICATION DEADLINE March 29th 2017
Send a CV, official M.Sc. grade transcripts and at least one letter of recommendation to firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Ph D Position Utilization Of Wood Ash In Mortar And Concrete, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, 1 day ago
Apply no later than 22 June 2017 Apply for the job at DTU Civil Eng by completing the following form. Apply online DTU Civil Engineering is inviting applications for a 3-year PhD position starting...
2 Ph D Position In Experimental And Computational Micro/Nanoelectronics, VIT University, India, 24 days ago
2 PhD position in Experimental and Computational Micro/NanoelectronicsCentre for Nanotechnology Research (CNR) at VIT University is one of the leading research centres in India. We are looking for ...
Ph D Studentship Optimising Spaceborne Signal Processing Of Gps And Galileo Reflectometry Measurements For Soil Moisture, Ice And Ocean, University of Surrey, United Kingdom, 1 day ago
View All Vacancies Department of Electrical & Electronic Engineering Location: Guildford Salary: Competitive Salary Fixed Term Post Type: Full Time Advert Placed: Wednesday 31 May 2017 Closing ...
Ph D Studentship (Esrc South Coast Dtp) Exploring Climate Change Impacts On Agroforestry Livelihoods In Tanzania, The University of Southampton, United Kingdom, 2 days ago
Global Environmental Change & Earth Obs Location: Highfield Campus Salary: £14553 Annual stipend of £14553 plus payment of programme fees. Closing Date: Wednesday 28 June 2017 Reference: 878617WR ...
Ph D Position In Nanotechnology And Nanoelectronics, VIT University, India, 24 days ago
PhD student at CNR, VIT University, VelloreCentre for Nanotechnology Research (CNR) at VIT University,Vellore is a highly esteemed research institution within the field of micro- and nanotechnology...
Ph D Studentship: Bioproduction Of Succinic Acid From Biomass Hydrolysate In A Biofilm Reactor, The University of Southampton, United Kingdom, 2 days ago
Engineering & the Environment Location: Highfield Campus Closing Date: Friday 30 June 2017 Reference: CMEES-WEEG-362 Succinic acid is an important platform chemical and has been identified as one ...