PhD scholarship on the greening of hard urban surfaces
Department of Forest and Landscape, Faculty of Science at University of Copenhagen is offering a PhD scholarship on the greening of hard urban surfaces - assessment of ecosystem services, aesthetical values and planning context commencing 1.10.2012 or as soon as possible thereafter. The application deadline is 27.9.2012.
With reference to the project manager, the work of the Ph.D. fellow will consist mainly of duties in connection with research and development within the field of green urban surfaces, including green roofs and green walls. The work will feed into the strategic partnership ?Water in Urban Areas? (Danish: Vand i Byer, www.vandibyer.dk), especially the innovation project regarding green roofs (IP07). The City of Copenhagen will contribute one or more research cases.
The objectives of this study are to:
- Document ecosystem services (stormwater retention, biodiversity support, urban heat island mitigation, air quality improvement, etc.) associated with green roofs and green walls based on literature
- Through a multiple case study describe and assess the qualitative aspects (aesthetical, recreational, socio-cultural values) of green roofs and green walls as part of the urban landscape
- Analyse drivers and barriers within public administrations and other major decision-makers relating to greening of hard urban surfaces, including an exploration of the role of high-profile projects.
Professor Marina Bergen Jensen
Department of Forest and Landscape
Your key tasks as a PhD fellow at SCIENCE are:
- Manage and carry through your research project
- Take PhD courses
- Write scientific articles and your PhD thesis
- Participate in international congresses
- Teach and disseminate your research
Key criteria for the assessment of candidates
- A master?s degree related to the subject area preferably within landscape architecture
- Good registrational and analytical skills within landscape architecture
- Good understanding of biogeochemical mechanisms relating to urban ecosystem services
- Research experience is an advantage
- Experience from/ knowledge about public administration is an advantage
- The grade point average achieved
- Professional qualifications relevant to the PhD programme
- Previous publications
- Relevant work experience is a real plus
- Other professional activities
- Language skills
- Interpersonal skills
The position is available for a 3-year period. The successful applicant of the PhD scholarship must pass an enrolment in the LIFE Graduate School before the Faculty can finish the letter of employment.
Terms of employment
The position will be filled according to the agreement between the Danish Ministry of Finance and the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The post is covered by the Protocol on Job Structure.
Apply by clicking ?Apply online? below.
Applications - in English - must include:
- Cover Letter, stating which PhD project you are applying for and detailing your motivation and background for applying for the specific PhD project.
- Diploma and transcripts of records
- ·Other information for consideration, e.g. list of publications (if any), peer reviewed and other
- Personal Recommendations
- A maximum of 3 relevant scientific works which the applicant wishes to be included in the assessment.
The applicant will be assessed according to the Ministry of Science Technology and Innovation Executive Order no 284 of 25. April 2008.
By the end of August 2012, all applicants will have received information regarding the evaluation of their application. Receipt of the application will not be acknowledged.
The application must be received no later than 27.9.2012. Applications received later than this date will not be considered.
For specific information about the PhD scholarship, please contact the principal supervisor.
General information about PhD programmes is available at www.LIFE.ku.dk/LIFEphd
A new faculty at the University of Copenhagen
On January 1, 2012, a new faculty was born at the University of Copenhagen - the Faculty of Science. The faculty is the product of a merger between two-thirds of the University?s Faculty of Life Sciences and its entire - former - Faculty of Science. The above PhD scholarship is at the new Faculty of Science.
Publisher: Det Biovidenskabelige Fakultet
Post Doctoral Research Associate, Sociology, University of Tennessee, United States, 14 days ago
Post-doctoral Research Associate, Sociology - 16000000ZJ Description Sociology is currently seeking a 50% candidate who has experience with Knoxville area green economy initiatives and has the abi...
Call For Expressions Of Interest In 2 Assistant Research Positions At Centre Of Molecular And Environmental Biology, University Of Minho, Braga, Portugal, Centre of Molecular and Environment Biology (CBMA) - University of Minho, Portugal, 8 days ago
Job posted by Centre of Molecular and Environment Biology (CBMA) - University of Minho (19/07/2016 16.17) Marie Curie Actions. More 'HR Excellence in Research' logo awarded to institutions activel...
Nrsa Fellow, Emory University, United States, about 24 hours ago
733005:SOM: Medicine: Cardiology 59853BR Job Description Serve as NRSA trainee in the Division of Cardiology. Several positions are available in several basic science and translational laboratori...
Postdoctoral Scientist(S) For Energy Efficiency And Built Environment, The Cyprus Institute, Cyprus, 5 days ago
Job posted by The Cyprus Institute (22/07/2016 15.35) Marie Curie Actions. More 'HR Excellence in Research' logo awarded to institutions actively implementing the European Charter and Code for Res...
Postdoc In Energy Efficient Computing, UiT The Arctic University of Norway, Norway, 21 days ago
Job posted by UiT The Arctic University of Norway (06/07/2016 10.26) Marie Curie Actions. More 'HR Excellence in Research' logo awarded to institutions actively implementing the European Charter a...
Research Fellow In Oxidative Flow Biotransformations, University of Leeds, United Kingdom, 27 days ago
View All Vacancies Location: Leeds - Main Campus Faculty/Service: Faculty of Mathematics & Physical Sciences School/Institute: School of Chemistry Category: Research Grade: Grade 6 to Grade 7 ...