PhD scholarship on the greening of hard urban surfaces
Department of Forest and Landscape, Faculty of Science at University of Copenhagen is offering a PhD scholarship on the greening of hard urban surfaces - assessment of ecosystem services, aesthetical values and planning context commencing 1.10.2012 or as soon as possible thereafter. The application deadline is 27.9.2012.
With reference to the project manager, the work of the Ph.D. fellow will consist mainly of duties in connection with research and development within the field of green urban surfaces, including green roofs and green walls. The work will feed into the strategic partnership ?Water in Urban Areas? (Danish: Vand i Byer, www.vandibyer.dk), especially the innovation project regarding green roofs (IP07). The City of Copenhagen will contribute one or more research cases.
The objectives of this study are to:
- Document ecosystem services (stormwater retention, biodiversity support, urban heat island mitigation, air quality improvement, etc.) associated with green roofs and green walls based on literature
- Through a multiple case study describe and assess the qualitative aspects (aesthetical, recreational, socio-cultural values) of green roofs and green walls as part of the urban landscape
- Analyse drivers and barriers within public administrations and other major decision-makers relating to greening of hard urban surfaces, including an exploration of the role of high-profile projects.
Professor Marina Bergen Jensen
Department of Forest and Landscape
Your key tasks as a PhD fellow at SCIENCE are:
- Manage and carry through your research project
- Take PhD courses
- Write scientific articles and your PhD thesis
- Participate in international congresses
- Teach and disseminate your research
Key criteria for the assessment of candidates
- A master?s degree related to the subject area preferably within landscape architecture
- Good registrational and analytical skills within landscape architecture
- Good understanding of biogeochemical mechanisms relating to urban ecosystem services
- Research experience is an advantage
- Experience from/ knowledge about public administration is an advantage
- The grade point average achieved
- Professional qualifications relevant to the PhD programme
- Previous publications
- Relevant work experience is a real plus
- Other professional activities
- Language skills
- Interpersonal skills
The position is available for a 3-year period. The successful applicant of the PhD scholarship must pass an enrolment in the LIFE Graduate School before the Faculty can finish the letter of employment.
Terms of employment
The position will be filled according to the agreement between the Danish Ministry of Finance and the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The post is covered by the Protocol on Job Structure.
Apply by clicking ?Apply online? below.
Applications - in English - must include:
- Cover Letter, stating which PhD project you are applying for and detailing your motivation and background for applying for the specific PhD project.
- Diploma and transcripts of records
- ·Other information for consideration, e.g. list of publications (if any), peer reviewed and other
- Personal Recommendations
- A maximum of 3 relevant scientific works which the applicant wishes to be included in the assessment.
The applicant will be assessed according to the Ministry of Science Technology and Innovation Executive Order no 284 of 25. April 2008.
By the end of August 2012, all applicants will have received information regarding the evaluation of their application. Receipt of the application will not be acknowledged.
The application must be received no later than 27.9.2012. Applications received later than this date will not be considered.
For specific information about the PhD scholarship, please contact the principal supervisor.
General information about PhD programmes is available at www.LIFE.ku.dk/LIFEphd
A new faculty at the University of Copenhagen
On January 1, 2012, a new faculty was born at the University of Copenhagen - the Faculty of Science. The faculty is the product of a merger between two-thirds of the University?s Faculty of Life Sciences and its entire - former - Faculty of Science. The above PhD scholarship is at the new Faculty of Science.
Publisher: Det Biovidenskabelige Fakultet
Postdoc Of Plant Biotechnology And Synthetic Biology, Department of Plant and Environmental Sciences, Faculty of Science, University of Copenhagen, Denmark, 22 days ago
Job posted by University of Copenhagen (05/09/2014 15.36) Marie Curie Actions. More 'HR Excellence in Research' logo awarded to institutions actively implementing the European Charter and Code for...
Postdoc, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Sweden, 1 day ago
Postdoc Using long-term citizen science data to evaluate effects of wetland restorations on bird population dynamics Ekologi, Populationsekologi At the Department of Ecology, SLU, we conduct empir...
Postdoc Position In Protein Repelling Polymer/Enzyme Film, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, 22 days ago
Apply no later than 10 October 2014 Apply for the job at DTU Chemistry by completing the following form. Apply online A 1-year postdoc position for construction of a new green antifouling coating ...
Postdoctoral Position On “Trade Offs Among Ecosystem Services Across Scales”, INRA / ECOPUB, France, 20 days ago
Job posted by Labex BASC (11/09/2014 17.06) Marie Curie Actions. More 'HR Excellence in Research' logo awarded to institutions actively implementing the European Charter and Code for Researchers. ...
Postdoc Position In Protein Repelling Polymer/Enzyme Film, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, 21 days ago
Job posted by universitypositions (10/09/2014 10.16) Marie Curie Actions. More 'HR Excellence in Research' logo awarded to institutions actively implementing the European Charter and Code for Rese...
Postdoc In Quantitative Integrated Flood Risk Modelling, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, 11 days ago
Apply no later than 3 October 2014 Apply for the job at DTU Environment by completing the following form. Apply online The Urban Water Engineering section at the Department of Environmental Engine...
Post Doc Within Sanitary Engineering With Focus On Modelling Of The Urban Drainage System, Lulea University of Technology, Sweden, 20 days ago
The research group Sanitary engineering at Luleå University of Technology is searching for a driven, committed young researcher which is interested in a Postdoctoral position within Sanitary Engin...
Post Doctoral Research Assistant (Green Processing Technologies), University of Bradford, United Kingdom, 7 days ago
View All Opportunities Life Sciences Salary: £28,695 to £31,342 per annum 2 year fixed term contract Post Type: Full Time Closing Date: Thursday 23 October 2014 Interview Date: To be confirmed R...
Senior Research Fellow Center For Changing Landscapes, University of Minnesota, United States, 24 days ago
Job Code and Title (9743) Senior Research Fellow Position Title Senior Research Fellow - Center for Changing Landscapes Job Code 9743 Requisition Number 194050 Position Category Staff - Profession...
Postdoc Position Impacts Of High End Climate Scenarios On European Forests And Forestry, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Switzerland, 28 days ago
The Forest Ecology Group at ETH is a dynamic interdisciplinary research team that exam-ines both theoretical and applied questions in forest ecology using a combination of empirical and modeling t...