PhD scholarship on the greening of hard urban surfaces
Department of Forest and Landscape, Faculty of Science at University of Copenhagen is offering a PhD scholarship on the greening of hard urban surfaces - assessment of ecosystem services, aesthetical values and planning context commencing 1.10.2012 or as soon as possible thereafter. The application deadline is 27.9.2012.
With reference to the project manager, the work of the Ph.D. fellow will consist mainly of duties in connection with research and development within the field of green urban surfaces, including green roofs and green walls. The work will feed into the strategic partnership ?Water in Urban Areas? (Danish: Vand i Byer, www.vandibyer.dk), especially the innovation project regarding green roofs (IP07). The City of Copenhagen will contribute one or more research cases.
The objectives of this study are to:
- Document ecosystem services (stormwater retention, biodiversity support, urban heat island mitigation, air quality improvement, etc.) associated with green roofs and green walls based on literature
- Through a multiple case study describe and assess the qualitative aspects (aesthetical, recreational, socio-cultural values) of green roofs and green walls as part of the urban landscape
- Analyse drivers and barriers within public administrations and other major decision-makers relating to greening of hard urban surfaces, including an exploration of the role of high-profile projects.
Professor Marina Bergen Jensen
Department of Forest and Landscape
Your key tasks as a PhD fellow at SCIENCE are:
- Manage and carry through your research project
- Take PhD courses
- Write scientific articles and your PhD thesis
- Participate in international congresses
- Teach and disseminate your research
Key criteria for the assessment of candidates
- A master?s degree related to the subject area preferably within landscape architecture
- Good registrational and analytical skills within landscape architecture
- Good understanding of biogeochemical mechanisms relating to urban ecosystem services
- Research experience is an advantage
- Experience from/ knowledge about public administration is an advantage
- The grade point average achieved
- Professional qualifications relevant to the PhD programme
- Previous publications
- Relevant work experience is a real plus
- Other professional activities
- Language skills
- Interpersonal skills
The position is available for a 3-year period. The successful applicant of the PhD scholarship must pass an enrolment in the LIFE Graduate School before the Faculty can finish the letter of employment.
Terms of employment
The position will be filled according to the agreement between the Danish Ministry of Finance and the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The post is covered by the Protocol on Job Structure.
Apply by clicking ?Apply online? below.
Applications - in English - must include:
- Cover Letter, stating which PhD project you are applying for and detailing your motivation and background for applying for the specific PhD project.
- Diploma and transcripts of records
- ·Other information for consideration, e.g. list of publications (if any), peer reviewed and other
- Personal Recommendations
- A maximum of 3 relevant scientific works which the applicant wishes to be included in the assessment.
The applicant will be assessed according to the Ministry of Science Technology and Innovation Executive Order no 284 of 25. April 2008.
By the end of August 2012, all applicants will have received information regarding the evaluation of their application. Receipt of the application will not be acknowledged.
The application must be received no later than 27.9.2012. Applications received later than this date will not be considered.
For specific information about the PhD scholarship, please contact the principal supervisor.
General information about PhD programmes is available at www.LIFE.ku.dk/LIFEphd
A new faculty at the University of Copenhagen
On January 1, 2012, a new faculty was born at the University of Copenhagen - the Faculty of Science. The faculty is the product of a merger between two-thirds of the University?s Faculty of Life Sciences and its entire - former - Faculty of Science. The above PhD scholarship is at the new Faculty of Science.
Publisher: Det Biovidenskabelige Fakultet
2 Erc Funded Postdoctoral Positions In Cambridge, Uk, BI, United Kingdom, 26 days ago
We are seeking highly qualified and motivated candidates who share a passion for scientific discovery to join an interactive, interdisciplinary and international team. The Postdoctoral Research Sci...
Postdoctoral Research Scientists, Babraham Institute, United Kingdom, 23 days ago
The Babraham Institute is a charity which is world renowned for its research in life sciences to enhance lives and improve wellbeing.We are seeking highly qualified and motivated candidates who sha...
Postdoctoral Scholar In The Optical Manipulation Group, Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate Unviersity, Japan, 20 days ago
The Light-Matter Interactions Unit (https://groups.oist.jp/light) in OIST, headed by Prof Síle Nic Chormaic, invites applications for a postdoctoral position in the Optical Manipulation Group. The ...
Assistant Researcher, Faculdade de Engenharia Mecânica - UNICAMP, Brazil, 19 days ago
The São Paulo Research Foundation (FAPESP) supports the project "Conceptual study of an advanced ethanol-fueled engine”, in partnership with the PSA. This initial project is scheduled to four (04) ...
Post Doc Position In Signal Processing At The Technion – Israel Institute Of Technology, Technion, Israel Institute of Technology, Israel, 9 days ago
Position description: The department of Electrical Engineering at the Technion - Israel Institute of Technology invites researchers for a postdoctoral position in the area of signal processing. The...
Job Ref 043/2015, Edith Cowan University, Australia, 4 days ago
POST DOCTORAL RESEARCH FELLOW (LEVEL B) - ECOLOGY FACULTY OF HEALTH, ENGINEERING AND SCIENCE SCHOOL OF NATURAL SCIENCE JOONDALUP CAMPUS $88,738 TO $105,379 (ALEVB) 20-MONTH, FIXED-TERM, FULL-TIME ...