PhD scholarship on the greening of hard urban surfaces
Department of Forest and Landscape, Faculty of Science at University of Copenhagen is offering a PhD scholarship on the greening of hard urban surfaces - assessment of ecosystem services, aesthetical values and planning context commencing 1.10.2012 or as soon as possible thereafter. The application deadline is 27.9.2012.
With reference to the project manager, the work of the Ph.D. fellow will consist mainly of duties in connection with research and development within the field of green urban surfaces, including green roofs and green walls. The work will feed into the strategic partnership ?Water in Urban Areas? (Danish: Vand i Byer, www.vandibyer.dk), especially the innovation project regarding green roofs (IP07). The City of Copenhagen will contribute one or more research cases.
The objectives of this study are to:
- Document ecosystem services (stormwater retention, biodiversity support, urban heat island mitigation, air quality improvement, etc.) associated with green roofs and green walls based on literature
- Through a multiple case study describe and assess the qualitative aspects (aesthetical, recreational, socio-cultural values) of green roofs and green walls as part of the urban landscape
- Analyse drivers and barriers within public administrations and other major decision-makers relating to greening of hard urban surfaces, including an exploration of the role of high-profile projects.
Professor Marina Bergen Jensen
Department of Forest and Landscape
Your key tasks as a PhD fellow at SCIENCE are:
- Manage and carry through your research project
- Take PhD courses
- Write scientific articles and your PhD thesis
- Participate in international congresses
- Teach and disseminate your research
Key criteria for the assessment of candidates
- A master?s degree related to the subject area preferably within landscape architecture
- Good registrational and analytical skills within landscape architecture
- Good understanding of biogeochemical mechanisms relating to urban ecosystem services
- Research experience is an advantage
- Experience from/ knowledge about public administration is an advantage
- The grade point average achieved
- Professional qualifications relevant to the PhD programme
- Previous publications
- Relevant work experience is a real plus
- Other professional activities
- Language skills
- Interpersonal skills
The position is available for a 3-year period. The successful applicant of the PhD scholarship must pass an enrolment in the LIFE Graduate School before the Faculty can finish the letter of employment.
Terms of employment
The position will be filled according to the agreement between the Danish Ministry of Finance and the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The post is covered by the Protocol on Job Structure.
Apply by clicking ?Apply online? below.
Applications - in English - must include:
- Cover Letter, stating which PhD project you are applying for and detailing your motivation and background for applying for the specific PhD project.
- Diploma and transcripts of records
- ·Other information for consideration, e.g. list of publications (if any), peer reviewed and other
- Personal Recommendations
- A maximum of 3 relevant scientific works which the applicant wishes to be included in the assessment.
The applicant will be assessed according to the Ministry of Science Technology and Innovation Executive Order no 284 of 25. April 2008.
By the end of August 2012, all applicants will have received information regarding the evaluation of their application. Receipt of the application will not be acknowledged.
The application must be received no later than 27.9.2012. Applications received later than this date will not be considered.
For specific information about the PhD scholarship, please contact the principal supervisor.
General information about PhD programmes is available at www.LIFE.ku.dk/LIFEphd
A new faculty at the University of Copenhagen
On January 1, 2012, a new faculty was born at the University of Copenhagen - the Faculty of Science. The faculty is the product of a merger between two-thirds of the University?s Faculty of Life Sciences and its entire - former - Faculty of Science. The above PhD scholarship is at the new Faculty of Science.
Publisher: Det Biovidenskabelige Fakultet
People Transport And Mobility Coordinator, CERN, Switzerland, 22 days ago
IntroductionMobility Coordinator in the General Infrastructure Services Department (GS), Integrated Services Group (IS), Site Services Section (SIS). CERN hosts more than 10 000 users an...
Postdoctoral Fellowship, University of Toronto, Canada, 30 days ago
Postdoctoral Fellowship in Socially Assistive Robots Applicants are sought for a postdoctoral position in socially assistive robots for eldercare. The project focuses on the development of the...
Visiting Scientist Under Brainpool Program, Sungkyunkwan University, South Korea, 10 days ago
Position:Visiting Scientist under Brain Pool programInvitation Period:1 Year ( Application period : December 2015, Evaluation: January/February 2016 Result: February ...
Postdoctoral Position In Biomaterials, Royal Institute of Technology, KTH, Sweden, about 1 month ago
Profile. We seek motivated individuals enthusiastic about science and technology. The candidate should hold a PhD in biomedical engineering, bioengineering, biochemistry, or in the physico-che...
16 Doctoral Researcher Positions At Leibniz Science Campus Infecto Optics, Hans-Knöll-Institut Jena, Germany, 10 days ago
At the Leibniz ScienceCampus InfectoOptics in Jena scientists work closely together in a trans-disciplinary approach aiming to develop urgently needed tools for the diagnosis and therapy of infecti...
Plasmonics In Biomedical Applications (Postdoctoral Researcher Positions), Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China, 25 days ago
Shanghai Jiao Tong University, School of Biomedical EngineeringShanghai, ChinaJob Description:SJTU Biomedical Engineering is seeking a postdoc for two years to work on a project on plasmonics in bi...