PhD scholarship on the greening of hard urban surfaces
Department of Forest and Landscape, Faculty of Science at University of Copenhagen is offering a PhD scholarship on the greening of hard urban surfaces - assessment of ecosystem services, aesthetical values and planning context commencing 1.10.2012 or as soon as possible thereafter. The application deadline is 27.9.2012.
With reference to the project manager, the work of the Ph.D. fellow will consist mainly of duties in connection with research and development within the field of green urban surfaces, including green roofs and green walls. The work will feed into the strategic partnership ?Water in Urban Areas? (Danish: Vand i Byer, www.vandibyer.dk), especially the innovation project regarding green roofs (IP07). The City of Copenhagen will contribute one or more research cases.
The objectives of this study are to:
- Document ecosystem services (stormwater retention, biodiversity support, urban heat island mitigation, air quality improvement, etc.) associated with green roofs and green walls based on literature
- Through a multiple case study describe and assess the qualitative aspects (aesthetical, recreational, socio-cultural values) of green roofs and green walls as part of the urban landscape
- Analyse drivers and barriers within public administrations and other major decision-makers relating to greening of hard urban surfaces, including an exploration of the role of high-profile projects.
Professor Marina Bergen Jensen
Department of Forest and Landscape
Your key tasks as a PhD fellow at SCIENCE are:
- Manage and carry through your research project
- Take PhD courses
- Write scientific articles and your PhD thesis
- Participate in international congresses
- Teach and disseminate your research
Key criteria for the assessment of candidates
- A master?s degree related to the subject area preferably within landscape architecture
- Good registrational and analytical skills within landscape architecture
- Good understanding of biogeochemical mechanisms relating to urban ecosystem services
- Research experience is an advantage
- Experience from/ knowledge about public administration is an advantage
- The grade point average achieved
- Professional qualifications relevant to the PhD programme
- Previous publications
- Relevant work experience is a real plus
- Other professional activities
- Language skills
- Interpersonal skills
The position is available for a 3-year period. The successful applicant of the PhD scholarship must pass an enrolment in the LIFE Graduate School before the Faculty can finish the letter of employment.
Terms of employment
The position will be filled according to the agreement between the Danish Ministry of Finance and the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The post is covered by the Protocol on Job Structure.
Apply by clicking ?Apply online? below.
Applications - in English - must include:
- Cover Letter, stating which PhD project you are applying for and detailing your motivation and background for applying for the specific PhD project.
- Diploma and transcripts of records
- ·Other information for consideration, e.g. list of publications (if any), peer reviewed and other
- Personal Recommendations
- A maximum of 3 relevant scientific works which the applicant wishes to be included in the assessment.
The applicant will be assessed according to the Ministry of Science Technology and Innovation Executive Order no 284 of 25. April 2008.
By the end of August 2012, all applicants will have received information regarding the evaluation of their application. Receipt of the application will not be acknowledged.
The application must be received no later than 27.9.2012. Applications received later than this date will not be considered.
For specific information about the PhD scholarship, please contact the principal supervisor.
General information about PhD programmes is available at www.LIFE.ku.dk/LIFEphd
A new faculty at the University of Copenhagen
On January 1, 2012, a new faculty was born at the University of Copenhagen - the Faculty of Science. The faculty is the product of a merger between two-thirds of the University?s Faculty of Life Sciences and its entire - former - Faculty of Science. The above PhD scholarship is at the new Faculty of Science.
Publisher: Det Biovidenskabelige Fakultet
Postdoc Position At Deeds (Tu Darmstadt), Technische Universität Darmstadt, Germany, 6 days ago
The DEEDS group at TU Darmstadt (www.deeds.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de/deeds) researches large-scale systems covering themes of Trustworthy (Secure and Dependable) Systems/SW & Cloud Security. W...
Graduate Research Assistantship / Scholarships, Universiti Putra Malaysia, Malaysia, 6 days ago
Involved in research and development as postgraduate student under my supervision. Research are on non destructive evaluation and testing development on aerospace material. Graduate Research A...
Associate Research Fellow/Research Fellow, Innovative Steel Cladding Systems For Mid Rise Buildings, University of Wollongong, Australia, 21 days ago
Sustainable Buildings Research Centre (SBRC) POSITION TYPE Full Time, Fixed term (3 year) Appointment CLOSING 1 February 2015 REF NO. 25302 This position is funded under the auspices of the ARC Re...
Postdoctoral Researcher For Participatory Modelling (0,6 1,0 Fte), Radboud University, Netherlands, 23 days ago
At Radboud University, we do research and teach programmes covering the full width of the academic spectrum. We do this on a green, modern campus with state-of-the-art facilities. The atmosphere o...
Research Fellow, Center For Changing Landscapes, University of Minnesota, United States, 27 days ago
Job Code and Title (9703) Research Fellow Position Title Research Fellow, Center for Changing Landscapes Job Code 9703 Requisition Number 196099 Position Category Staff - Professional Non-Faculty ...
Postdoctoral Fellow In Biomedical Signal Processing, The University of Alabama, United States, 16 days ago
A Postdoctoral Research Associate position is available at Laboratory of Ambient and Wearable Systems (http://claws.eng.ua.edu), Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University ...