Apply no later than 1 April 2017
Apply for the job at DTU Aqua by completing the following form.
A PhD Scholarship in Fisheries and Fisheries Ecosystem Impact Modelling is available at the National Institute of Aquatic Resources (DTU Aqua) with starting date May 2017. The scholarship is financed by National and EU Research Projects and supported by the DTU Aqua PhD School.
The project will primarily be carried out in affiliation to the Section for Ecosystem-based Management which is situated in Lyngby, Denmark. DTU Aqua is an institute at the Technical University of Denmark.
The purpose of DTU Aqua is to provide research, advice and education at the highest international level within the sustainable exploitation of living marine and freshwater resources, the biology of aquatic organisms and the development of ecosystems as well as their integration in ecosystem-based management. The institute has an international research staff comprising approx. 120 academic employees.
The overall aim is to model the interlinked marine fisheries, fish stock, and benthic habitat/community dynamics and their interactions with focus on ecosystem impacts of fisheries and fisheries management. This involves application and further development of bio-economic spatial and agent-based modelling techniques for simulating individual fishing vessels moving in some (e.g. virtual) marine environment. The project offers opportunity for making significant advance in an important field of fisheries research concerning estimating the various ecological and socio-economics trade-offs among fisheries incomes, the sustainability of the fish stocks harvested, and the impacts and sensitivity of the benthic habitats/communities given different fisheries management options. This further integrates aspects of fishing fleet economics and drivers linked to the varying agent´s decision making. Mitigating fisheries in time and space is considered an attractive management solution provided that recent data can support highly resolved risk assessment model¬ling tools and simulations to document and anticipate potential long term effects and expected related benefits of management scenarios and actions within the ecological-economic system under concern.
The specific purposes are to:
- Application and further development of bio-economic spatial and agent based modelling and simulation methodology;
- Estimating ecological and socio-economics trade-offs of management scenarios with respect to fisheries economic effects, harvested stock sustainability, and benthic impacts;
- Evaluate fisheries interactions with occupation of space by other marine sectors (renewable energy, large marine constructions, aquaculture, transport/shipping, conservation such as Natura2000 areas / benthic sensitive habitats, etc.) with respect to their ecological-economic effects;
- Modelling fisheries with fine spatial resolution to enable local and regional maritime spatial planning (MSP);
- Literature review of empirical studies to incorporate the effect of fishing pressure on benthic habitats per type of fishing gear;
- Participate in coupling the bio-economic spatial and agent based modelling tool to a state-of-the-art spatial fish population modelling framework concerning resource ocurrence.
The focus case study will be the Baltic and North Sea areas and the main modelling platform tool to be used and expanded will be DISPLACE (www.displace-project.org )Qualifications
We are looking for a candidate who has:
- Master of Science (M.Sc.) degree in Aquatic Science & Technology or similar;
- Previous experience in marine and fisheries research, and population, fisheries and ecosystem dynamics;
- Proven experience and strong skills in modelling and quantitative and statistical analyses;
- Proficiency in at least two programming languages among R and Matlab, C++, Python and GIS;
- Interests and preferences for agent based modelling;
- Knowledge on (fisheries) economics;
- Proficiency in written and spoken English;
- Keen interest in desk-only research and for working within the field of marine and aquatic sciences.
The scholarships for the PhD degree are subject to academic approval, and the candidates will be enrolled in one of the general degree programmes of DTU. For information about the general requirements for enrolment and the general planning of the scholarship studies, please see theDTU PhD Guide
The assessment of the applicants will be made by Sen. Sci. Francois Bastardie, Prof. J. Rasmus Nielsen, Sci. Grete Dinesen, and Sen. Sci. Ole R. Eigaard, DTU Aqua.
Salary and appointment terms
The salary and appointment terms are consistent with the current rules for PhD degree students at DTU.
The period of employment is 3 years.
For further information about the project, please contact Sen. Sci. Francois Bastardie, email@example.com
General information may be obtained from Christine Cecilie Hastrup firstname.lastname@example.org (+45) 3588 3001
Please do not send applications by e-mail, instead apply online as described below.
Please submit your online application no later than 1 April 2017.
Applications must be submitted as one pdf file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link "Apply online," fill in the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one pdf file. The file must include:
- A letter motivating the application (cover letter)
- Curriculum vitae
- Grade transcripts and BSc/MSc diploma
- Excel sheet with translation of grades to the Danish grading system (see guidelines and excel spreadsheet here )
- Description of skills according to qualifications.
Candidates may apply prior to obtaining their master's degree, but cannot begin before having received it.
All interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, disability, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
The purpose of DTU Aqua is to provide research, advice and education at the highest international level within the sustainable exploitation of living marine and freshwater resources, the biology of aquatic organisms and the dynamics of ecosystems as well as their integration in ecosystem-based management. DTU Aqua has 260 employees, of whom a third are scientific staff. The other employees are assistant biologists, laboratory technicians, IT employees, administrative staff, ship’s crew, student assistants etc. The institute is organized into eight scientific sections which carry out the research, educational and advisory activities. In addition, the institute has a number of scientific and administrative support functions, including the research vessel DANA. DTU Aqua has employees in Charlottenlund, Silkeborg, Nykøbing Mors and Hirtshals as well as on Dana.You can read more about DTU Aqua on www.aqua.dtu.dk
DTU is a technical university providing internationally leading research, education, innovation and scientific advice. Our staff of 5,800 advance science and technology to create innovative solutions that meet the demands of society; and our 10,600 students are being educated to address the technological challenges of the future. DTU is an independent academic university collaborating globally with business, industry, government, and public agencies.
Ph D Scholarship: Sand Capping Of Organically Enriched Estuaries As A Large Scale Eelgrass Restoration Approach, Syddansk University, Netherlands, about 10 hours ago
Department of Biology recruits a PhD student for a large scale sand-capping project, where extended muddy areas will be covered with a 5-10 cm sand layer. The position is for three years and is su...
2 Ph D Positions In The Research Project "Fair Limits: A Philosophical Analysis Of Limits On The Distribution Of Economic And Ecological Resources" (Each Position 1.0 Fte), Utrecht University, Netherlands, 3 days ago
2 PhD positions in the research project "FAIR LIMITS: A philosophical analysis of limits on the distribution of economic and ecological resources" (each position 1.0 FTE) Functie Fair Limits is a ...
Ph D Scholarship In Environmental Chemistry And Modelling (Esr 11), University of Copenhagen, Denmark, 8 days ago
Natural Toxins and Drinking Water Quality - From Source to Tap (NaToxAq) Project title: Natural toxin fate and leaching from soils (ESR 11) The University of Copenhagen is offering a PhD scholarsh...
4 5 Ph D Positions On Data Science, Theme Business, Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands, about 3 hours ago
JADS: New research initiative on data science: 4-5 PhD positions on data science, theme Business in a joint research initiative between Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) and Tilburg Univer...
Ph D Fellowship In Drug Delivery, University of Copenhagen, Denmark, about 5 hours ago
Department of Department of Pharmacy Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences (SUND) University of Copenhagen Department of Department of Pharmacy is offering a three-year PhD fellowship in Drug De...
Ph D Position 'food For Thought In Copd' (1.0 Fte), Utrecht University, Netherlands, about 20 hours ago
PhD position 'Food for thought in COPD' (1.0 FTE) Functie The consortium of the research program entitled “Food for thought and active life style in COPD” funded by TKI-Longfonds combines preclini...