PhD fellow in metabolic responses in bacteria to antimicrobial treatment
Department of Veterinary Disease Biology at University of Copenhagen offers a PhD scholarship commencing September 1st 2012 or as soon as possible thereafter. The application deadline is June 27th 2011.
The PhD project aims to understand the metabolic changes that antimicrobial resistant bacteria undergo in the presence of therapeutic concentrations of selected antimicrobial substances, and how resistance plasmids influence this response.
The student will have a specific research assignment with emphasis on metabolic changes in antibiotic resistant bacteria during treatment with antibiotics and how this is influenced by the presence of resistance plasmids. The student will be affiliated to a newly established EU-initial training site TRAIN-ASAP, where the student will carry out his/her research in close collaboration with 13 other PhD students, mostly from other EU-countries, and all with a research topic related to aspects of drug development. The project will be carried out in the section for Microbiology, which currently houses one of the largest research groups in antibiotic resistance in Denmark.
Professor John Elmerdahl Olsen
Direct Phone: (+45) 35332784.
Department of Veterinary Disease Biology, Stigbøjlen 4, 1870 Frederiksberg C.
Your key tasks as a PhD fellow at University of Copenhagen are:
- Manage and carry out your research project. The project is co-supervised by Professor Morten Sommer, DTU, and Professor Luca Guardabassi, KU. The student must expect to work in their research groups for short periods.
- Take PhD courses
- Write scientific articles and your PhD thesis
- Participate in international congresses
- Teach and disseminate your research
Key criteria for the assessment of candidates
- A master´s degree in veterinary science, medical science or another relevant degree, with a strong element of microbiological subjects.
- The grade point average achieved
- The following professional qualifications
- Knowledge on pathogenic microorganisms and laboratory techniques to handle these
- Knowledge on antimicrobial resistance
- Basic knowledge on molecular techniques
The position is available for a 3-year period for applicants holding a relevant master´s degree.
The successful applicant of the PhD scholarship must pass an enrolment in a Graduate School at University of Copenhagen before the University can finish the letter of employment.
Graduate Schools at University of Copenhagen strives to give the students the best international career prospects within our main research areas.
Terms of employment
The position will be filled according to the agreement between the Danish Ministry of Finance and the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The post is covered by the Protocol on Job Structure.
Apply by clicking "Apply online" below.
Applications - in English - must include:
- Cover Letter, stating which PhD project you are applying for and detailing your motivation and background for applying for the specific PhD project.
- Diploma and transcripts of records
- Other information for consideration, e.g. list of publications (if any), peer reviewed and other
- Personal Recommendations
- A maximum of 3 relevant scientific works which the applicant wishes to be included in the assessment.
The applicant will be assessed according to the Ministry of Science Technology and Innovation Executive Order no 284 of April 25th 2008.
By the end of August 2012, all applicants will have received information regarding the evaluation of their application.
The application must be received no later than June 27th 2012. Applications received later than this date will not be considered.
For specific information about the PhD scholarship, please contact the principal supervisor.
General information about PhD programmes is available at: www.LIFE.ku.dk/LIFEphd.
Publisher: Det Biovidenskabelige Fakultet
Research Fellow 56921 , University of Birmingham, United Kingdom, 1 day ago
The research group of Prof. Van Schaik at the Institute of Microbiology and Infection of the University of Birmingham has a vacancy for the position of a full-time post-doctoral researcher (2 year...
Marie Skłodowska Curie Individual Fellowships At Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei, Research, Italy, 24 days ago
Following its long time tradition of successful international post-graduate and doctoral training, FEEM supports Marie Skłodowska-Curie Individual Fellowship applications in its research areas in t...
Research Fellow 56913 , University of Birmingham, United Kingdom, 1 day ago
To contribute to the creation of knowledge by undertaking a specified range of activities within an EPSRC funded Healthcare Impact Partnership - Process Design to Prevent Prosthetic Infections (PR...
Postdoctoral Researcher In Antibiotic Stewardship, Karolinska Institutet, Sweden, 22 days ago
Department At the Department of Public Health Sciences we conduct research, teaching and applied work based on public health science and epidemiology. The research is aimed at analysing health det...
Associate Research Fellow Or Research Fellow, University of Exeter, United Kingdom, about 2 hours ago
Associate Research Fellow or Research Fellow in the range of £28,452 to £33,943 per annum depending on qualifications and experience Generous holiday allowances, flexible working, pension scheme a...
Research Fellow Microbial Genomics, University of Melbourne, Australia, 11 days ago
- Join Australia's number 1 University † - Career opportunities, professional development, work-life balance. - Use your expertise and innovative thinking to truly have an impact. Who says you can...