Postdoctoral Position At The Department Of Post-Harvest Technology Of Horticultural Products
Postdoctoral position at the Department of Post-Harvest Technology of Horticultural Products, Faculty of Horticulture in Lednice, Mendel University in Brno, Czech Republic.
Candidates should be graduates of a Ph.D. program in food technology, analytical chemistry or related subjects. Experience in the field of practical working on instrumental techniques (HPLC, GC etc) is an advantage.
Scholarship provider - European social fund, Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports, Czech Republic
The position is planned to start on the 1st December 2012 and is scheduled till 30th June 2015. Salary will be approx CZK 50.000 per month (approx. EUR 2000). Place of work is Brno, Czech Republic.
Research program description
A number of plant species are good sources of the antioxidants. The concentration and the composition of bioactive substances are influenced by many factors – plant species or varieties, their plant health, growing conditions but especially by their processing technology and the stability of bioactive compounds. The experiments will be planned into the area of searching the traditional and non-traditional sources of the natural bioactive substances and their stability. The obtained results will deepen the knowledge and the relationships about their content, activity and changes. The methods of HPLC with DAD detection, DPPH, FRAP, ABTS etc. will be used for isolation, purification and determination of the antioxidant activity of bioactive compounds (L-ascorbic acid, resveratrol, piceid, non-flavonoid and flavonoid fenols, ursolic acid, lignans, etc.). The output of the research project will be the optimization of the analysis of selected bioactive compounds, antioxidant activity, evaluation of the impacts on their changes, and the assessment of the appropriate conditions of HPLC separation in beverages and in other foodstuffs. Another expected result will be the proposition of raw materials and the technology with regard to preserving or increasing dietetic and organoleptic parameters of the products.
Mentor: Doc. Jozef Balík
Coordinator: Ing. Jarmila Kožíšková
Duties of the Postdoc:
• independent research and cooperation within the department in its recent research program are mandatory;
• research results should be published in international peer reviewed journals;
• application for 3rd party funding;
• supervision of PhD and undergraduate students;
• organization of seminars for PhD and undergraduate students.
Candidates should be:
• graduates of a PhD program in appropriate subjects, graduated after 28th March 2008;
• native speakers of Czech, Slovak or English language or having very good written and oral communication skills in English proven by certificate (CAE level or similar);
• authors or co/authors of at least 2 papers in scientific journals (already published or in press).HowToApply:
Candidates send their application, including:
• structured CV including certificates of academic degrees;
• publication track record;
• letter of recommendation;
• research plan based on the description of the individual topics of research set out below (max. 5 pages, including – current state of knowledge, objectives of the project, methods, significance).
Applications should be sent to the e-mail of the project coordinator Ing. Jarmila Kožíšková – firstname.lastname@example.org.
View or Apply