Environment Canada Atmospheric And Meteorological Graduate Supplements
This supplement program is available to you only if you are awarded a CGS, PGS or IPS.
|Value||$5,000/year for up to two years|
|Application Deadline||See below|
|How to Apply||See below|
What is the purpose of the supplement?
The purpose of the atmospheric and meteorological graduate supplement is to:
- promote graduate research in the atmospheric and meteorological sciences in Canadian universities;
- encourage and support graduate students to carry out research of interest to Environment Canada;
- increase contacts between Environment Canada researchers and Canadian universities; and
- promote training of potential candidates for possible future employment at Environment Canada.
Are you eligible to hold a supplement?
At the time you apply for a scholarship supplement, you must be studying or planning to study atmospheric or meteorological sciences in a recognized program at a Canadian university. At the end of each year of tenure you will be required to provide a brief progress report to Environment Canada.
What kind of support do these supplements provide?
These supplements provide financial support to high-calibre students working towards a master's or doctoral degree in atmospheric or meteorological sciences, or related fields. Environment Canada offers a maximum of five supplements annually.
Value of the supplements
If you are a successful applicant, Environment Canada will supplement your NSERC scholarship by $5,000, renewable once, provided you hold an NSERC postgraduate scholarship or a Canada Graduate Scholarship and continue to conduct research in the atmospheric or meteorological sciences.
How do you apply?
To be considered for this supplement you must submit the following by June 1 of the year in which you are awarded your NSERC postgraduate scholarship:
- A copy of your Notification of Award document from NSERC
- A copy of your successful scholarship application
- A brief explanation (maximum 300 words) showing how the proposed research will contribute to the advancement of atmospheric or meteorological science
- Any additional information (e.g., two letters of recommendation)
Send this application package directly to the address listed below.
For more information about the research that is being conducted at Environment Canada, visit the following Web sites:
- Environment Canada Science and Technology
- Environment Canada Weather and Meteorology
A special committee of atmospheric and meteorological researchers will review the applications and recommend the eligible applicants it considers to have the best qualifications.
Notification of decision
Environment Canada will choose the successful applicants and announce the results within two months of the application deadline.
Environment Canada is responsible for releasing the award supplements. It must also ensure that the recipients of the supplements continue to hold NSERC PGS or Canada Graduate Scholarship (CGS) and meet the other requirements of these graduate supplements.
For more information about this scholarship supplement, contact:
Office of the Director General
Atmospheric Science and Technology Directorate
4905 Dufferin Street
View or Apply