- Last application date: 2012-10-10 00:00
- Department: GE17 - Department of Radiation oncology and experimental cancer research
- Contract: bepaald
- Degree: Master
- Occupancy rate: 100%
- Vacancy Type: wp
Invasive growth of a tumor occurs within an ecosystem where a continuous communication exists between cancer cells and a wide network of tumor-associated myofibroblasts. Secretory factors from the cancer cells activate the recruitment of myofibroblasts to the primary tumor site, as well as they promote the departure of cancer cells and myofibroblast precursors (such as bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells, MSC) to distant tissues (FASEBJ 2004; JNCI 2010; Cancer Res 2010, GUT 2012). Recently exosomes have been implicated in these metastasis-associated processes in multiple types of cancer. Exosomes are nanovesicles of +/- 40 nm in size, have a double lipid layer and contain a complex cargo of proteins and RNA molecules. The goal of this research project will be to elucidate whether cancer therapy protocols change paracrine interactions using different molecular techniques in colorectal cancer-stroma models.
This work is part of CAFFEIN (Cancer Associated Fibroblasts Function in tumor Expansion and INvasion), which is a Marie-Curie ITN network (Seventh Framework program of the European Union). We offer a stimulating environment for the scientific development of the candidate. Through support of senior PhD students and post-doctoral scientists and close interaction with the clinicians (department of surgery, radiotherapy, oncology), the candidate will be able to finalize a PhD thesis independently.
- Interested candidates preferentially have a degree of master in the biotechnology, biomedical sciences, bio-engineering, medical doctor or an equivalent degree. They have obtained good study results (at least distinction) during their education and they show a genuine interest and motivation to perform scientific research.
- Skills to work in a lab environment, interest in molecular research techniques, functional assays and animal models.
- Oral and written communication skills (good knowledge of English).
- Perform teamwork (the project is international and interdisciplinary; and is a typical example of team science).
- Have a critical, problem solving and results-oriented attitude.
- Eager to learn and work independently.
- International mobility will be required during the duration of this project.
Send you CV + motivation letter to Prof. Dr. Olivier De Wever (Olivier.email@example.com)
Postdoctoral Researcher In The Research Group Of Cellular Metabolism, Karolinska Institutet, Sweden, 25 days ago
1 postdoctoral position are available in the research group of Erik Norberg at the Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Karolinska Institutet. Research Group and Project Description Tumor ce...
Postdoctoral Fellow In Long Noncoding Rn As And Neuroblastoma (Per 2015/388), University of Gothenburg, Sweden, 4 days ago
Type of employment: Fixed-term employment, 2 years Extent: 100 % Location: Institute of Biomedicine, Gothenburg First day of employment: As agreed Reference number: PER 2015/388 This postdoctoral ...
Postdoctoral Researcher In The Research Group Of Cellular Metabolism, Karolinska Institutet, Sweden, 24 days ago
Job posted by Karolinska Institutet via MyNetwork (12/09/2015 02.15) Marie Curie Actions. More 'HR Excellence in Research' logo awarded to institutions actively implementing the European Charter a...
Postdoctoral Researcher (Maternity Cover), University of Oxford, United Kingdom, 6 days ago
An excellent opportunity has arisen for a Postdoctoral Researcher to join the Department of Oncology. The position will be within the group led by Dr Eric O’Neill working to uncover why the epigen...
Post Doc Position, Lunds universitet, Sweden, 20 days ago
Job posted by Lund University via MyNetwork (16/09/2015 01.15) Marie Curie Actions. More 'HR Excellence in Research' logo awarded to institutions actively implementing the European Charter and Cod...
Post Doctoral, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, United States, 24 days ago
Summary of Essential Job Duties: This position provides the unique opportunity for a highly motivated individual to participate in a multidisciplinary research program in Prostate Cancer Metastase...