- Last application date: 2012-10-10 00:00
- Department: GE17 - Department of Radiation oncology and experimental cancer research
- Contract: bepaald
- Degree: Master
- Occupancy rate: 100%
- Vacancy Type: wp
Invasive growth of a tumor occurs within an ecosystem where a continuous communication exists between cancer cells and a wide network of tumor-associated myofibroblasts. Secretory factors from the cancer cells activate the recruitment of myofibroblasts to the primary tumor site, as well as they promote the departure of cancer cells and myofibroblast precursors (such as bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells, MSC) to distant tissues (FASEBJ 2004; JNCI 2010; Cancer Res 2010, GUT 2012). Recently exosomes have been implicated in these metastasis-associated processes in multiple types of cancer. Exosomes are nanovesicles of +/- 40 nm in size, have a double lipid layer and contain a complex cargo of proteins and RNA molecules. The goal of this research project will be to elucidate whether cancer therapy protocols change paracrine interactions using different molecular techniques in colorectal cancer-stroma models.
This work is part of CAFFEIN (Cancer Associated Fibroblasts Function in tumor Expansion and INvasion), which is a Marie-Curie ITN network (Seventh Framework program of the European Union). We offer a stimulating environment for the scientific development of the candidate. Through support of senior PhD students and post-doctoral scientists and close interaction with the clinicians (department of surgery, radiotherapy, oncology), the candidate will be able to finalize a PhD thesis independently.
- Interested candidates preferentially have a degree of master in the biotechnology, biomedical sciences, bio-engineering, medical doctor or an equivalent degree. They have obtained good study results (at least distinction) during their education and they show a genuine interest and motivation to perform scientific research.
- Skills to work in a lab environment, interest in molecular research techniques, functional assays and animal models.
- Oral and written communication skills (good knowledge of English).
- Perform teamwork (the project is international and interdisciplinary; and is a typical example of team science).
- Have a critical, problem solving and results-oriented attitude.
- Eager to learn and work independently.
- International mobility will be required during the duration of this project.
Send you CV + motivation letter to Prof. Dr. Olivier De Wever (Olivier.email@example.com)
Hs Research Tech 2, University of New Mexico, United States, 1 day ago
Posting Number: 0837474 Position Title: HS Research Tech 2 Appointment Type: Definition Staff - Term: Full Time Working Title (if applicable): HS Research Tech 2 Department CRTC Research Program S...
Postdoctoral Studies In Cancer Cell Biology , Karolinska Institutet, Sweden, 17 days ago
The Department of Cell and Molecular Biology (CMB) is a department with a strong focus on basic science. CMB conducts research and education in cell biology, molecular biology, developmental biolo...
Postdoctoral Researcher In Breast Cancer Epidemiology , Karolinska Institutet, Sweden, 7 days ago
The Department of Medical Epidemiology and Biostatistics (MEB) is among the largest departments of epidemiology in Europe with special focus on increasing our knowledge of the aetiology of differe...
Postdoctoral Research Fellow In Microbiome Research, Karolinska Institutet, Sweden, 8 days ago
Department of Microbiology, Tumor and Cell Biology (MTC) at Karolinska Institutet conducts research and teaching in immunology, infection biology, cell biology and cancer. MTC has about 430 active...
Postdoc In Cancer Immunotherapy, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, 8 days ago
Apply no later than 15 February 2017 Apply for the job at DTU Nanotech by completing the following form. Apply online 2 Postdoc positions are available in the Colloids & Biological Interface group...
Research Bioinformatician Focused On Modeling Of Normal And Malignant Hematopoiesis Based On Single Cell Sequencing And Fate Mapping, Karolinska Institutet, Sweden, 12 days ago
Department of Medicine, Huddinge, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden The Department of Medicine, Huddinge conducts preclinical and clinical research in a variety of areas and undergraduate a...