- Last application date: 2012-10-10 00:00
- Department: GE17 - Department of Radiation oncology and experimental cancer research
- Contract: bepaald
- Degree: Master
- Occupancy rate: 100%
- Vacancy Type: wp
Invasive growth of a tumor occurs within an ecosystem where a continuous communication exists between cancer cells and a wide network of tumor-associated myofibroblasts. Secretory factors from the cancer cells activate the recruitment of myofibroblasts to the primary tumor site, as well as they promote the departure of cancer cells and myofibroblast precursors (such as bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells, MSC) to distant tissues (FASEBJ 2004; JNCI 2010; Cancer Res 2010, GUT 2012). Recently exosomes have been implicated in these metastasis-associated processes in multiple types of cancer. Exosomes are nanovesicles of +/- 40 nm in size, have a double lipid layer and contain a complex cargo of proteins and RNA molecules. The goal of this research project will be to elucidate whether cancer therapy protocols change paracrine interactions using different molecular techniques in colorectal cancer-stroma models.
This work is part of CAFFEIN (Cancer Associated Fibroblasts Function in tumor Expansion and INvasion), which is a Marie-Curie ITN network (Seventh Framework program of the European Union). We offer a stimulating environment for the scientific development of the candidate. Through support of senior PhD students and post-doctoral scientists and close interaction with the clinicians (department of surgery, radiotherapy, oncology), the candidate will be able to finalize a PhD thesis independently.
- Interested candidates preferentially have a degree of master in the biotechnology, biomedical sciences, bio-engineering, medical doctor or an equivalent degree. They have obtained good study results (at least distinction) during their education and they show a genuine interest and motivation to perform scientific research.
- Skills to work in a lab environment, interest in molecular research techniques, functional assays and animal models.
- Oral and written communication skills (good knowledge of English).
- Perform teamwork (the project is international and interdisciplinary; and is a typical example of team science).
- Have a critical, problem solving and results-oriented attitude.
- Eager to learn and work independently.
- International mobility will be required during the duration of this project.
Send you CV + motivation letter to Prof. Dr. Olivier De Wever (Olivier.email@example.com)
Post Doctoral Fellowship, Wayne State University and VA Medical Center, United States, 24 days ago
Postdoctoral positions are available in Prof. Arun Rishi Lab. Candidate should be self-motivated individual for a full time postdoctoral scholar in the area of Molecular Biology, Drug delivery, and...
Postdoctoral Researcher In Immunotherapy, Karolinska Institutet, Sweden, 4 days ago
Division The Cell and Gene Therapy Group in Department of Medicine Center for Hematology and Regenerative Medicine is announcing the creation of two postdoctoral research positions at Karolinska I...
Postdoc In Peeper Lab; Function Based Genomic Discovery Of Clinically Exploitable Metabolic Vulnerabilities Of Cancer And Immune Cells, NKI, Netherlands, 7 days ago
Job posted by AcademicTransfer (21/05/2016 00.30) Marie Curie Actions. More 'HR Excellence in Research' logo awarded to institutions actively implementing the European Charter and Code for Researc...
Postdoctoral Studies In Tumor Biology (Scholarship), Karolinska Institutet, Sweden, 11 days ago
Division Department of Microbiology, Tumor and Cell Biology (MTC) at Karolinska Institutet conducts research and teaching in immunology, infection biology, cell biology and cancer. MTC has about 4...
Postdoctoral Scholar, Pennsylvania State University, United States, 3 days ago
Description A postdoctoral scholar position is available to conduct basic and translational pediatric cancer research in the Department of Pediatrics at Penn State College of Medicine in Hershey, ...
Postdoctoral Scholar, Pennsylvania State University, United States, 12 days ago
Description We are seeking a talented, dynamic, and self-motivated Postdoctoral Scholar to train in Dr. Shannon Kelleher’s laboratory. The lab is part of rich, interdisciplinary environment in the...