- Last application date: 2012-10-10 00:00
- Department: GE17 - Department of Radiation oncology and experimental cancer research
- Contract: bepaald
- Degree: Master
- Occupancy rate: 100%
- Vacancy Type: wp
Invasive growth of a tumor occurs within an ecosystem where a continuous communication exists between cancer cells and a wide network of tumor-associated myofibroblasts. Secretory factors from the cancer cells activate the recruitment of myofibroblasts to the primary tumor site, as well as they promote the departure of cancer cells and myofibroblast precursors (such as bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells, MSC) to distant tissues (FASEBJ 2004; JNCI 2010; Cancer Res 2010, GUT 2012). Recently exosomes have been implicated in these metastasis-associated processes in multiple types of cancer. Exosomes are nanovesicles of +/- 40 nm in size, have a double lipid layer and contain a complex cargo of proteins and RNA molecules. The goal of this research project will be to elucidate whether cancer therapy protocols change paracrine interactions using different molecular techniques in colorectal cancer-stroma models.
This work is part of CAFFEIN (Cancer Associated Fibroblasts Function in tumor Expansion and INvasion), which is a Marie-Curie ITN network (Seventh Framework program of the European Union). We offer a stimulating environment for the scientific development of the candidate. Through support of senior PhD students and post-doctoral scientists and close interaction with the clinicians (department of surgery, radiotherapy, oncology), the candidate will be able to finalize a PhD thesis independently.
- Interested candidates preferentially have a degree of master in the biotechnology, biomedical sciences, bio-engineering, medical doctor or an equivalent degree. They have obtained good study results (at least distinction) during their education and they show a genuine interest and motivation to perform scientific research.
- Skills to work in a lab environment, interest in molecular research techniques, functional assays and animal models.
- Oral and written communication skills (good knowledge of English).
- Perform teamwork (the project is international and interdisciplinary; and is a typical example of team science).
- Have a critical, problem solving and results-oriented attitude.
- Eager to learn and work independently.
- International mobility will be required during the duration of this project.
Send you CV + motivation letter to Prof. Dr. Olivier De Wever (Olivier.firstname.lastname@example.org)
Post Doctoral Position In The Field Of Microfluidics Based Exosome Analysis For The Detection Of Residual And Metastatic Cancer Cells, Catholic University Leuven, Belgium, 27 days ago
Job posted by Catholic University Leuven (24/09/2014 12.55) Marie Curie Actions. More 'HR Excellence in Research' logo awarded to institutions actively implementing the European Charter and Code f...
Research Scientist, Oncology Drug Discovery/Biology Job, Johnson & Johnson, Worldwide, about 23 hours ago
Research Scientist, Oncology Drug Discovery/Biology-7120141019 Description Janssen Research & Development, L.L.C., a Johnson & Johnson company, is recruiting for a Research Scientist in the Hemato...
Postdoctoral Associate, Cornell University, United States, 22 days ago
Postdoctoral Associate-24536 Description To conduct research on the role of peptidylargininedeiminase (PAD) enzymes in gene regulation and cancer progression. For the generegulation study the post...
Immuno Oncology Discovery Research Scientist Job, Johnson & Johnson, Worldwide, 22 days ago
Johnson & Johnson companies are equal opportunity employers. Immuno-Oncology Discovery Research Scientist-4899140919 Description Janssen Research & Development, L.L.C., a division of Johnson & Joh...
Post Doc Fellow, University of Cincinnati, United States, 14 days ago
Limited To Job Title Post Doc Fellow Working Title Position Number 214UC9620 Department COM - Cancer and Cell Biology Position Description: Postdoctoral positions are available to pursue basic and...
Postdoctoral Fellow Stem Cell And Leukemia, City of Hope, United States, 14 days ago
Requisition ID: Job Title: Postdoctoral Fellow - Stem Cell and Leukemia Position Summary and Key Responsibilities A postdoctoral research fellow position is available in the Laboratory of Dr. Ya-H...