- Last application date: 2012-10-10 00:00
- Department: GE17 - Department of Radiation oncology and experimental cancer research
- Contract: bepaald
- Degree: Master
- Occupancy rate: 100%
- Vacancy Type: wp
Invasive growth of a tumor occurs within an ecosystem where a continuous communication exists between cancer cells and a wide network of tumor-associated myofibroblasts. Secretory factors from the cancer cells activate the recruitment of myofibroblasts to the primary tumor site, as well as they promote the departure of cancer cells and myofibroblast precursors (such as bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells, MSC) to distant tissues (FASEBJ 2004; JNCI 2010; Cancer Res 2010, GUT 2012). Recently exosomes have been implicated in these metastasis-associated processes in multiple types of cancer. Exosomes are nanovesicles of +/- 40 nm in size, have a double lipid layer and contain a complex cargo of proteins and RNA molecules. The goal of this research project will be to elucidate whether cancer therapy protocols change paracrine interactions using different molecular techniques in colorectal cancer-stroma models.
This work is part of CAFFEIN (Cancer Associated Fibroblasts Function in tumor Expansion and INvasion), which is a Marie-Curie ITN network (Seventh Framework program of the European Union). We offer a stimulating environment for the scientific development of the candidate. Through support of senior PhD students and post-doctoral scientists and close interaction with the clinicians (department of surgery, radiotherapy, oncology), the candidate will be able to finalize a PhD thesis independently.
- Interested candidates preferentially have a degree of master in the biotechnology, biomedical sciences, bio-engineering, medical doctor or an equivalent degree. They have obtained good study results (at least distinction) during their education and they show a genuine interest and motivation to perform scientific research.
- Skills to work in a lab environment, interest in molecular research techniques, functional assays and animal models.
- Oral and written communication skills (good knowledge of English).
- Perform teamwork (the project is international and interdisciplinary; and is a typical example of team science).
- Have a critical, problem solving and results-oriented attitude.
- Eager to learn and work independently.
- International mobility will be required during the duration of this project.
Send you CV + motivation letter to Prof. Dr. Olivier De Wever (Olivier.email@example.com)
Research Fellow (Dr Wang Cheng I’s Lab) / S Ig N, A*STAR, Singapore, 25 days ago
The Singapore Immunology Network (SIgN), a research institute under the Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*STAR)’s Biomedical Research Council was launched on 10 February 2006 with the...
Post Doctoral Fellow, University of Colorado, United States, 22 days ago
Post-Doctoral Fellow - 06638 Faculty Description University of Colorado – School of Medicine Post-Doctoral Fellow The position is offered in Professor Mayumi Fujita’s laboratory through the Depart...
Post Doctoral Scholar , University of Kentucky, United States, 17 days ago
Posting Details Job Title Post Doctoral Scholar Requisition Number DU02123 Department Name 7H018:GRADUATE CENTER FOR TOXICOLOGY Work Location Lexington, KY Salary Range $34,953-$45,528 depending o...
A Post Doctoral Researcher In Cancer Research At The Centre For Biotechnology, University of Turku, Finland, 12 days ago
Job posted by Academic Positions (19/09/2016 17.04) Marie Curie Actions. More 'HR Excellence in Research' logo awarded to institutions actively implementing the European Charter and Code for Resea...
Postdoc ‘Tetraspanins: Novel Membrane Organizers That Regulate Immune Function’ , Radboudumc (university medical center), Netherlands, 24 days ago
Job posted by AcademicTransfer (07/09/2016 03.00) Marie Curie Actions. More 'HR Excellence in Research' logo awarded to institutions actively implementing the European Charter and Code for Researc...
Postdoctoral Researcher In Genomic Regulation, Karolinska Institutet, Sweden, 11 days ago
The Department of Biosciences and Nutrition performs research and education in areas of medical science including bioorganic chemistry, molecular endocrinology, cancer biology, functional genomics...