- Last application date: 2012-10-10 00:00
- Department: GE17 - Department of Radiation oncology and experimental cancer research
- Contract: bepaald
- Degree: Master
- Occupancy rate: 100%
- Vacancy Type: wp
Invasive growth of a tumor occurs within an ecosystem where a continuous communication exists between cancer cells and a wide network of tumor-associated myofibroblasts. Secretory factors from the cancer cells activate the recruitment of myofibroblasts to the primary tumor site, as well as they promote the departure of cancer cells and myofibroblast precursors (such as bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells, MSC) to distant tissues (FASEBJ 2004; JNCI 2010; Cancer Res 2010, GUT 2012). Recently exosomes have been implicated in these metastasis-associated processes in multiple types of cancer. Exosomes are nanovesicles of +/- 40 nm in size, have a double lipid layer and contain a complex cargo of proteins and RNA molecules. The goal of this research project will be to elucidate whether cancer therapy protocols change paracrine interactions using different molecular techniques in colorectal cancer-stroma models.
This work is part of CAFFEIN (Cancer Associated Fibroblasts Function in tumor Expansion and INvasion), which is a Marie-Curie ITN network (Seventh Framework program of the European Union). We offer a stimulating environment for the scientific development of the candidate. Through support of senior PhD students and post-doctoral scientists and close interaction with the clinicians (department of surgery, radiotherapy, oncology), the candidate will be able to finalize a PhD thesis independently.
- Interested candidates preferentially have a degree of master in the biotechnology, biomedical sciences, bio-engineering, medical doctor or an equivalent degree. They have obtained good study results (at least distinction) during their education and they show a genuine interest and motivation to perform scientific research.
- Skills to work in a lab environment, interest in molecular research techniques, functional assays and animal models.
- Oral and written communication skills (good knowledge of English).
- Perform teamwork (the project is international and interdisciplinary; and is a typical example of team science).
- Have a critical, problem solving and results-oriented attitude.
- Eager to learn and work independently.
- International mobility will be required during the duration of this project.
Send you CV + motivation letter to Prof. Dr. Olivier De Wever (Olivier.firstname.lastname@example.org)
Post Doctoral Associate, Som, University of Miami, United States, about 1 month ago
The University of Miami Miller School of Medicine-UHealth is home to some of the brightest minds in the world. At the U, we are committed to attracting and retaining a talented workforce to suppor...
Postdoctoral Researcher, University of Helsinki, Finland, 1 day ago
Job posted by Academic Positions (16/04/2015 16.02) Marie Curie Actions. More 'HR Excellence in Research' logo awarded to institutions actively implementing the European Charter and Code for Resea...
Research Fellow, University of Michigan, United States, 12 days ago
Job Detail RESEARCH FELLOW How to Apply A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your...
Doctoral Student Position With Doctoral Grant (Kid) In Cancer Epidemiology, Karolinska Institutet, Sweden, 30 days ago
The Department of Medical Epidemiology and Biostatistics is among the largest departments of epidemiology in Europe with special focus on increasing our knowledge of the aetiology for different di...
Doctoral Student Position With Doctoral Grant (Kid) In Cancer Epidemiology, Karolinska Institute, Sweden, 29 days ago
Institutionen för medicinsk epidemiologi och biostatistik (MEB) är bland de största institutionerna inom epidemiologi i Europa och har ett särskilt fokus på att fördjupa vår kunskap om olika sjukd...
Postdoctoral Associate, Yale University, Department of Surgery, United States, 22 days ago
Job posted by Science Careers (27/03/2015 00.16) Marie Curie Actions. More 'HR Excellence in Research' logo awarded to institutions actively implementing the European Charter and Code for Research...