- Last application date: 2012-10-10 00:00
- Department: GE17 - Department of Radiation oncology and experimental cancer research
- Contract: bepaald
- Degree: Master
- Occupancy rate: 100%
- Vacancy Type: wp
Invasive growth of a tumor occurs within an ecosystem where a continuous communication exists between cancer cells and a wide network of tumor-associated myofibroblasts. Secretory factors from the cancer cells activate the recruitment of myofibroblasts to the primary tumor site, as well as they promote the departure of cancer cells and myofibroblast precursors (such as bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells, MSC) to distant tissues (FASEBJ 2004; JNCI 2010; Cancer Res 2010, GUT 2012). Recently exosomes have been implicated in these metastasis-associated processes in multiple types of cancer. Exosomes are nanovesicles of +/- 40 nm in size, have a double lipid layer and contain a complex cargo of proteins and RNA molecules. The goal of this research project will be to elucidate whether cancer therapy protocols change paracrine interactions using different molecular techniques in colorectal cancer-stroma models.
This work is part of CAFFEIN (Cancer Associated Fibroblasts Function in tumor Expansion and INvasion), which is a Marie-Curie ITN network (Seventh Framework program of the European Union). We offer a stimulating environment for the scientific development of the candidate. Through support of senior PhD students and post-doctoral scientists and close interaction with the clinicians (department of surgery, radiotherapy, oncology), the candidate will be able to finalize a PhD thesis independently.
- Interested candidates preferentially have a degree of master in the biotechnology, biomedical sciences, bio-engineering, medical doctor or an equivalent degree. They have obtained good study results (at least distinction) during their education and they show a genuine interest and motivation to perform scientific research.
- Skills to work in a lab environment, interest in molecular research techniques, functional assays and animal models.
- Oral and written communication skills (good knowledge of English).
- Perform teamwork (the project is international and interdisciplinary; and is a typical example of team science).
- Have a critical, problem solving and results-oriented attitude.
- Eager to learn and work independently.
- International mobility will be required during the duration of this project.
Send you CV + motivation letter to Prof. Dr. Olivier De Wever (Olivier.email@example.com)
Postdoctoral Studies (Scholarship) In Tumor Biology, Karolinska Institutet, Sweden, about 16 hours ago
Job posted by Karolinska Institutet via MyNetwork (29/07/2016 00.45) Marie Curie Actions. More 'HR Excellence in Research' logo awarded to institutions actively implementing the European Charter a...
Postdoctoral Research Assistant In Molecular Mechanisms In Parkinson's Disease, University of Oxford, United Kingdom, 5 days ago
We are seeking a highly motivated and creative postdoctoral fellow to join an ongoing programme of research investigating exosome biology and the tractability of such pathways as disease biomarker...
Researcher/Postdoc Bioinformatics M/F, Vacancy Number 2016/0455, University Medical Centre Utrecht, Netherlands, 4 days ago
Job posted by AcademicTransfer (26/07/2016 02.45) Marie Curie Actions. More 'HR Excellence in Research' logo awarded to institutions actively implementing the European Charter and Code for Researc...
Post Doc Computational, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, United States, 22 days ago
A postdoctoral position in computational genomics of cancer is available immediately at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory as a joint appointment in Dr. Krasnitz’s research group in the Simons Center f...
Post Doctoral, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, United States, 27 days ago
The Department of Surgery is looking for a Postdoctoral Scientist who will be working in close cooperation and in consultation with the Principal Investigators and will perform routine and complex...
Post Doc In Cancer Biology: “Targeting Replication Stress In Cancer Cells”, University Medical Center Groningen (UMCG), Netherlands, 13 days ago
Job posted by AcademicTransfer (16/07/2016 00.30) Marie Curie Actions. More 'HR Excellence in Research' logo awarded to institutions actively implementing the European Charter and Code for Researc...