- Last application date: 2012-10-10 00:00
- Department: GE17 - Department of Radiation oncology and experimental cancer research
- Contract: bepaald
- Degree: Master
- Occupancy rate: 100%
- Vacancy Type: wp
Invasive growth of a tumor occurs within an ecosystem where a continuous communication exists between cancer cells and a wide network of tumor-associated myofibroblasts. Secretory factors from the cancer cells activate the recruitment of myofibroblasts to the primary tumor site, as well as they promote the departure of cancer cells and myofibroblast precursors (such as bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells, MSC) to distant tissues (FASEBJ 2004; JNCI 2010; Cancer Res 2010, GUT 2012). Recently exosomes have been implicated in these metastasis-associated processes in multiple types of cancer. Exosomes are nanovesicles of +/- 40 nm in size, have a double lipid layer and contain a complex cargo of proteins and RNA molecules. The goal of this research project will be to elucidate whether cancer therapy protocols change paracrine interactions using different molecular techniques in colorectal cancer-stroma models.
This work is part of CAFFEIN (Cancer Associated Fibroblasts Function in tumor Expansion and INvasion), which is a Marie-Curie ITN network (Seventh Framework program of the European Union). We offer a stimulating environment for the scientific development of the candidate. Through support of senior PhD students and post-doctoral scientists and close interaction with the clinicians (department of surgery, radiotherapy, oncology), the candidate will be able to finalize a PhD thesis independently.
- Interested candidates preferentially have a degree of master in the biotechnology, biomedical sciences, bio-engineering, medical doctor or an equivalent degree. They have obtained good study results (at least distinction) during their education and they show a genuine interest and motivation to perform scientific research.
- Skills to work in a lab environment, interest in molecular research techniques, functional assays and animal models.
- Oral and written communication skills (good knowledge of English).
- Perform teamwork (the project is international and interdisciplinary; and is a typical example of team science).
- Have a critical, problem solving and results-oriented attitude.
- Eager to learn and work independently.
- International mobility will be required during the duration of this project.
Send you CV + motivation letter to Prof. Dr. Olivier De Wever (Olivier.firstname.lastname@example.org)
Postdoctoral Studies Of How Exosomes Affect The Immune System (Scholarship), Karolinska Institutet, Sweden, 7 days ago
Job posted by Karolinska Institutet via MyNetwork (21/08/2015 01.45) Marie Curie Actions. More 'HR Excellence in Research' logo awarded to institutions actively implementing the European Charter a...
Postdoctoral Studies Of How Exosomes Affect The Immune System (Scholarship), Karolinska Institutet, Sweden, 1 day ago
The Department of Medicine, Solna, is one of the largest departments at Karolinska Institutet. The department consists of several units that are separated into different research groups. The core ...
Postdoctoral Training Fellow , Ref:1488158, University of London, United Kingdom, 9 days ago
We seek a motivated and independent Postdoctoral Training Fellow, funded by Breast Cancer Now Charity, to play a key role in facilitating the wet-lab research of the Systems and Precision Cancer M...
Post Doctoral Fellow, City of Hope, United States, 24 days ago
Job Title: Postdoctoral Fellow Position Summary and Key Responsibilities We are seeking a highly motivated Postdoctoral Fellow to work in the laboratory of Associate Professor John C. Williams. T...
Postdoctoral Scholar, The University of Iowa, United States, 1 day ago
POSTDOCTORAL SCHOLAR Requisition # 2453 Persons with disabilities may contact the recruiting department if accommodations are needed. Position Basics Advertising Ends on:Extended Until Position is...
Post Doctoral Associate, Som, University of Miami, United States, 15 days ago
The University of Miami Miller School of Medicine-UHealth is home to some of the brightest minds in the world. At the U, we are committed to attracting and retaining a talented workforce to suppor...