- Last application date: 2012-10-10 00:00
- Department: GE17 - Department of Radiation oncology and experimental cancer research
- Contract: bepaald
- Degree: Master
- Occupancy rate: 100%
- Vacancy Type: wp
Invasive growth of a tumor occurs within an ecosystem where a continuous communication exists between cancer cells and a wide network of tumor-associated myofibroblasts. Secretory factors from the cancer cells activate the recruitment of myofibroblasts to the primary tumor site, as well as they promote the departure of cancer cells and myofibroblast precursors (such as bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells, MSC) to distant tissues (FASEBJ 2004; JNCI 2010; Cancer Res 2010, GUT 2012). Recently exosomes have been implicated in these metastasis-associated processes in multiple types of cancer. Exosomes are nanovesicles of +/- 40 nm in size, have a double lipid layer and contain a complex cargo of proteins and RNA molecules. The goal of this research project will be to elucidate whether cancer therapy protocols change paracrine interactions using different molecular techniques in colorectal cancer-stroma models.
This work is part of CAFFEIN (Cancer Associated Fibroblasts Function in tumor Expansion and INvasion), which is a Marie-Curie ITN network (Seventh Framework program of the European Union). We offer a stimulating environment for the scientific development of the candidate. Through support of senior PhD students and post-doctoral scientists and close interaction with the clinicians (department of surgery, radiotherapy, oncology), the candidate will be able to finalize a PhD thesis independently.
- Interested candidates preferentially have a degree of master in the biotechnology, biomedical sciences, bio-engineering, medical doctor or an equivalent degree. They have obtained good study results (at least distinction) during their education and they show a genuine interest and motivation to perform scientific research.
- Skills to work in a lab environment, interest in molecular research techniques, functional assays and animal models.
- Oral and written communication skills (good knowledge of English).
- Perform teamwork (the project is international and interdisciplinary; and is a typical example of team science).
- Have a critical, problem solving and results-oriented attitude.
- Eager to learn and work independently.
- International mobility will be required during the duration of this project.
Send you CV + motivation letter to Prof. Dr. Olivier De Wever (Olivier.firstname.lastname@example.org)
Postdoctoral Research Fellow In Tumor Microenvironment, Karolinska Institutet, Sweden, 14 days ago
Department of Microbiology, Tumor and Cell Biology (MTC) at Karolinska Institutet conducts research and teaching in immunology, infection biology, cell biology and cancer. MTC has about 430 active...
Postdoctoral Researcher In Cancer/Immunology, Karolinska Institutet, Sweden, 26 days ago
The Department of Medicine, Solna, is one of the largest departments at Karolinska Institutet. The department consists of several units that are separated into different research groups. The core ...
Research Fellow, La Trobe University, Australia, 9 days ago
Full time, fixed term 2 years at our Melbourne (Bundoora) campus $90,748 -$107,758 per annum plus up to 17% superannuation Challenging and rewarding role About La Trobe La Trobe University’s succe...
Postdoctoral Research Fellow In 3 D Image Analysis Of Intra Tumor Heterogeneity, Karolinska Institutet, Sweden, 24 days ago
A postdoctoral position in 3D image analysis of intra-tumor heterogeneity is immediately available in the Crosetto lab for Quantitative Biology and Technology (https://bienkocrosettolabs.org/ ) wi...
Postdoctoral Researcher In Gut T Cell Regulation, University of Oxford, United Kingdom, 3 days ago
We are seeking a Postdoctoral Research Scientist to join Professor Powrie’s Mucosal Immunology Group. You will join a dynamic and successful group studying immune regulation in the intestine and h...
Post Transcriptional Control Of Gene Expression, National Institutes of Health, United States, 1 day ago
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, Bethesda, MD and surrounding area Position Description: A funded postdoctoral position is available in the Integrative Immunobiology Section ...