Postdoctoral research fellow "Microbial Resource Management"
- Last application date: 2012-08-15 17:00
- Department: LA06 - Department of Biochemical and microbial technology
- Contract: bepaald
- Degree: A PhD degree in microbiology or environmental engineering or equivalent completed before the start date of the position
- Occupancy rate: 100%
- Vacancy Type: wp
LabMET is the coordinating research group in the most important Belgian research program “Interuniversity Attraction Poles (IAP) Phase VII” of the Belgian Federal Science Policy Office, entitled “Microbial Resource Management (MRM) in engineered and natural ecosystems (μ-manager)”. This IAP will focus on developing knowledge to generate research hypotheses for MRM, which will enable us to develop novel products and processes, and to improve our environment in the most sustainable way.
For the LabMET node of this project we are seeking a postdoctoral research fellow to perform research on in vitro “synthetic ecosystems” to test new microbial ecological hypotheses. In the in vitro synthetic ecosystems, different levels of microbial interactions and complexity will be assembled using relevant mixtures of isolated species from culture collections. This unique coupling between mathematical, experimental ecological theory development will permit us to test basic ecological theories on microbial communities.
The Post doc will drive research, be the liaison officer between the 4 national and 3 international partner and assist in the supervision of PhD students.
Candidates should have a PhD in microbiology or environmental biotechnology/engineering and relevant experience microbial ecology, statistical analysis and molecular analysis.
- A PhD degree in microbiology or environmental engineering or equivalent completed before the start date of the position.
Knowledge and Skills
- Demonstrated capability in project management
- Knowledge of mixed culture incubations and microbiology
- Ability to generate high-impact research publications, as shown by the CV
- Ability to rigorously design experiments and to perform experiments under well-controlled conditions
- Ability to perform in-depth and critical data analysis
- Knowledge of bioreactor operations
- Potential to provide academic supervision to postgraduate students
- Potential for contributing to research program development, including external grant applications
- Extensive experience in laboratory scale bioreactor operation, fermentations, digestion, potentially (bio)electrochemical systems
- Experience in environmental or chemical engineering
- Extensive experience with the operation and study of complex microbial processes
- Evidence of high-quality publications in the aforementioned areas
- Experience with microbial ecology and molecular microbial techniques
- Experience with microscopic methods to study complex microbial communities in a laboratory environment
- Excellent interpersonal skills to work effectively with team members from different backgrounds and with different tasks
- Focused on delivering high quality science
- Willingness to travel internationally for project meetings and conferences
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues
- Good communication and time management skills and the ability to meet objectives within set deadlines
- Good oral and written communication skills in English are required
- High level communication, inter-personal and management skills
- Demonstrated ability to work with minimum supervision
- Determination and ability to work to deadlines
- Outcome focused
Applications must be sent via email to email@example.com as pdf or word documents. Applications must consist of the following:
An academic curriculum vitae should include research fields and current interests, publications (full list as attachment with three most significant marked with an asterisk), research grants awarded and, if applicable, details of teaching evaluation.
A Selection Committee will consider all applications and shortlist candidates for interview who appear to meet the selection criteria at the highest levels. They will be invited to attend an interview and the remaining unsuccessful applicants will be notified accordingly.
An invitation to attend an interview provides an opportunity to provide further information to the Selection Committee to substantiate your claims against the selection criteria or demonstrate your capabilities. Please note that for some positions interviews may be conducted by teleconference in the first instance.
The Selection Committee will subsequently seek referee reports, if not sought prior to interview, before making a decision to make an offer of appointment to the preferred candidate. The purpose of referee checks is to obtain, in confidence, factual information about your past work history, as well as opinions regarding the quality of your work, behaviour in the work place and suitability for the position. Referee reports may be sought orally, or for academic staff, in writing by post or e-mail.
Referees should normally include current supervisors or and/or managers. A referee must be able to comment on your work experience, skills and performance with respect to the selection criteria. Referee checks conducted after the interview process can sometimes delay notification of the successful candidate and other interviewees.
If you are the preferred candidate, you will receive a written offer of appointment to the position. Do not take any action, such as resigning from your current position, before you receive a written offer of appointment.
Post Doctoral Position On "Bacteriohages Infecting Fish Pathogenic Flavobacterium Bacteria" Department Of Biology, University Of Copenhagen, University of Copenhagen, Denmark, 14 days ago
A 3-year Post-doctoral position on bacteriophage-host interactions is offered at the Marine Biological Section, Department of Biology, University of Copenhagen, Denmark. The position starts 1. Apr...
Postdoctoral Research Fellow, The University of Queensland, Australia, 16 days ago
Apply now Job no:500025 Area:Faculty of Science Salary (FTE):Academic Level A ($64,533.50 - $87,535.13) Work type:Full Time - Fixed Term Location: St Lucia, Brisbane Situated within the Faculty of...
Postdoc In “Rna Sequencing And Integrative Data Analyses In Disease Immunology”, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, 4 days ago
Apply no later than 28 January 2017 Apply for the job at DTU Bioengineering by completing the following form. Apply online A 2 year postdoc position is available in the Disease Systems Immunology ...
Research Fellow, Australian National University, Australia, 30 days ago
Research Fellow Apply now Job no: 514677 Work type: Fixed Term Location: Canberra / ACT Categories: Academic Classification: Level B Classification: Academic Level B Salary package: $94,287 - $107...
Postdoc In Experimental Molecular Biotechnology For Algae Based Higher Value Products, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, 13 days ago
Apply no later than 25 January 2017 Apply for the job at DTU Chemical Eng. by completing the following form. Apply online The Center for BioProcess Engineering (BioEng) is a research center at the...
Senior Research Fellow In Impact Engineering, University of Oxford, United Kingdom, 14 days ago
We are seeking a full-time Senior Research Fellow to join the Impact Engineering Team of the Solid Mechanics and Materials Engineering Group, within the Department of Engineering Science based in ...