PhD Position (4)
- Last application date: 2012-04-30 17:00
- Department: TW12 - Department of Chemical engineering and technical chemistry
- Contract: bepaald
- Degree: MSc in Chemical Engineering or related subject
- Occupancy rate: 100%
- Vacancy Type: wp
Unraveling Complex Kinetics on Metal Catalysts.
Development and application of the Single-Event MicroKinetic (SEMK) methodology towards Co based catalysts. Fundamental consideration of aspects such as metal atom versus active site, multiple types of sites and subsurface reactants and analysis of their effects on mean field microkinetic models.
Fischer Tropsch synthesis is an alternative route towards chemicals and fuels starting from gas, coal or biomass via synthesis gas. Typically, large scale facilities are involved and minor improvements to the process can have significant repercussions on its economics. It is, hence, logic not to limit the understanding of the reaction kinetics to correlative models, but to explore the detailed reaction mechanism in a microkinetic way.
In this respect Ghent University (Belgium) and Shell Global Solutions International B.V. (The Netherlands) have teamed up to pursue the above stated aims. Ghent University has a proven track record in the Single-Event MicroKinetic modeling of large scale processes such as hydrocracking, catalytic cracking, methanol-to-olefins, aromatics hydrogenation and Fischer-Tropsch synthesis, while Shell Global Solutions International B.V., is a leading multinational in natural gas valorization via Fischer-Tropsch synthesis. The presently available SEMK model has been constructed mainly based on Fe-based data, whereas the current catalytic system of interest is a Co-based one.
Various parallel and consecutive activities will lead to the targeted microkinetic description of Fischer-Tropsch synthesis:
- Literature survey on the microkinetic modelling of metal-catalysed reactions and analysis of the relevance of accounting for additional details in mean field microkinetic models. This survey will serve the preparation of the following activities:
- Metal atoms versus active sites: the definition of an active site on a metal surface can be ambiguous. Molecules may chemisorb in different configurations and the reactive configuration is not necessarily the most stable one. How can such effects be accounted for in mean field microkinetic modelling and is it relevant to do so?
- Analysis of the effect of accounting for different types of sites. What added value does it contribute to the model and what conditions need to be fulfilled to significantly exploit these features?
- Simulation of intrinsic experimental kinetic data will be used as part of the above described activities. A reaction network will be selected and constructed based on literature information as well as on discussions between the project partners. Kinetic parameter values will be determined from first principles as well as by regression of experimental data. A reaction path analysis based on the microkinetic model: identification of the most important surface reaction routes in the catalytic mechanism, of “dead ends” routes and an assessment of the intermediates surface concentrations.
Advisors: Joris W. Thybaut and Guy B. Marin
PhD Fellowships are available in the following domains:
- Biomass Conversion
- Transient Kinetics
- Metal catalyzed reactions
- Radical Polymerization
- Pyrolyis and Steam cracking
- Computational Fluid Dynamics coupled with kinetics
Typical activities during a 4 year PhD project:
- Experimental acquisition of intrinsic reaction rate data.
- Model construction based on reaction mechanisms and estimation of kinetic parameters by data regression and/or quantum chemical calculations.
- Scale-up of lab data and simulation of industrial processes by developing and implementing reactor models accounting for transport next to reaction. Development and application of Computational Fluid Dynamics models in that context.
- Normal duties will apply, including the preparation of scientific reports and publications and assisting in supervising of MSc students.
Applicants must possess a MSc in Chemical Engineering or related subject and a TOEFL certificate (minimum score of 580(paper)/92(iBT)/237(computer)) or equivalent. Relevant experience in the area of reactor engineering, kinetics, and/or computational chemistry is strongly recommended. Candidates must have a strong mathematical background and be willing to focus on obtaining quantitative rather than qualitative results. Excellent candidates with a PhD in the above domains and willing to spend between 1 and 3 years at LCT can also apply for a postdoctoral fellowship.
Any additional information can be obtained by contacting Guy B. Marin. Any application should enclose a C.V., a one page justification of your interest and at least two references.
09 264 45 17
Joint Postdoc Position In Catalyst Design Based On Metal Organic Framework Materials And Electrospinning, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, 18 days ago
Shenzhen University in China and DTU Energy are offering a joint 2-year postdoc position in the field of catalyst design based on metal-organic framework materials and electrospinning. The postdoc...
Research Fellow (78793 116) , University of Warwick, United Kingdom, 16 days ago
Vacancy Type/Job category Research Only Department School of Engineering Salary £29,301 - £38,183 pa Location University of Warwick, Coventry Vacancy Overview Fixed Term Contract until 31 December...
Pool Postdoctoral Researcher, University of Kansas, United States, 28 days ago
Auto req ID 7482BR Posting Title POOL - Postdoctoral Researcher Position Number 00066173; 00066556; 00066827;000068717 Department Ctr Enviro Benefical Catalysis No. of Positions 10 Location/D...
Postdoc Position Is Available In The Framework Of The Project "An Artificial Leaf: A Photo Electro Catalytic Cell From Earth Abundant Materials For Sustainable Solar Production Of Co2 Based Chemicals And Fuels", Institute of Chemical Research of Catalonia ICIQ, Spain, 30 days ago
Job posted by Institute of Chemical Research of Catalonia ICIQ (09/11/2016 16.51) Marie Curie Actions. More 'HR Excellence in Research' logo awarded to institutions actively implementing the Euro...
Post Doctoral Scholar, Inorganic Chemistry And Analytical Chemistry , University of Kentucky, United States, 9 days ago
Posting Details Job Title Post-Doctoral Scholar, Inorganic Chemistry and Analytical Chemistry Requisition Number FE00798 Working Title Postdoctoral Researcher, Inorganic Chemistry and Analytical C...
Reseach Fellow 55873 , University of Birmingham, United Kingdom, 24 days ago
Full Time/Part Time Full Time Duration of Post 12 months Post is open to: External and internal candidates Salary Starting salary is normally in the range £29,301 to £38,183. With potential progre...