- Plant Virology and Modelling PhD Top Up Scholarships
- We are seeking highly motivated students to investigate two exciting PhD projects that will use cutting edge techniques to obtain a deeper understanding of an aphid-borne virus disease causing epidemics that threaten the viability of Australias $64m/year field pea industry. Researchers have found infection with Pea seed-borne mosaic virus (PSbMV) to be very widespread in commercial field pea crops and seed stocks in the WA and eastern states grainbelts. The virus seriously reduces field pea seed yields, damages seed quality, and limits the area where the crop can be sown profitably. Obtaining an improved understanding of the PSbMV - field pea pathosystem is vital to ensure a sustainable and viable long-term field pea industry in Australia. These two PhD projects will not only provide exposure to stimulating and interesting science but also help the field pea industry by providing effective management solutions for the disease.
- PhD project 1: Understanding Pea seed-borne mosaic virus (PSbMV) epidemics in field pea: whole genome virus phylogeny, resistance gene expression, and factors that influence transmission by aphid vectors.
- PhD project 2: Modelling Pea seed-borne mosaic virus (PSbMV) epidemics in field pea: collection of field data on factors influencing PSbMV and its aphid vectors, and construction of a predictive model and Decision Support System (DSS)
- Payment type
- Top Up Scholarship
- Value unit
- Per annum
- Basis of award
- Academic Achievement
- Applicants must also apply for an Australian Postgraduate Award (or equivalent).
Applicants for this project should expect to gain or hold a first class or high 2A honours degree, or equivalent, in plant biology, preferably with interest in the disciplines of plant virology, entomology or modelling.
- Applicants must be eligible for admission to the PhD program at The University of Western Australia.
- Applications should include evidence of qualifications and research experience, together with a curriculum vitae and contact details of two academic referees.
- For further information about these projects, or to submit an application, contact:
- Prof Roger Jones, Prof in Plant Virology, School of Plant Biology, Faculty of Natural and Agricultural Sciences, The University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley WA 6009, Australia. Phone: (08) 9368 3269; email: email@example.com
- A/Michael Renton, A/Prof in Modelling, School of Plant Biology, Faculty of Natural and Agricultural Sciences, The University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley WA 6009, Australia. Phone: (08) 6488 1959; email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Australian Citizen, Australian Permanent Resident
- Study area
- Plant Biology, Agricultural Science, Botany, Plant Science
- Commencement date
- Applications open
- Applications close
- Tenable At
- University of Western Australia
- Currently available
- Application status
Ph D Position At The University Of Turin, Italy, University of Turin-Plant Physiology DBIOS, Italy, 14 days ago
Job posted by University of Turin-Plant Physiology DBIOS (16/05/2016 10.57) Marie Curie Actions. More 'HR Excellence in Research' logo awarded to institutions actively implementing the European Ch...
Ph D Position: Sustainable Resistance To Clubroot Infection In Arabidopsis Thaliana And Brassica Napus (Canola), Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium, 4 days ago
PhD position: Sustainable resistance to clubroot infection in Arabidopsis thaliana and Brassica napus (canola) (Ref. BAP-2016-258) Occupation : Full-time Period : Fixed-term contract Place : Leuve...
Ph D In Molecular Plant Hormone Physiology, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium, 20 days ago
PhD in molecular plant hormone physiology (Ref. BAP-2016-214) Occupation : Full-time Period : Fixed-term contract extendable Place : Leuven Apply no later than : July 15, 2016 The lab Prof. Bram V...
Ph D Position Plant Breeding, Technische Universität München, Germany, 15 days ago
17.05.2016, Wissenschaftliches Personal The chair of Plant Breeding invites applications for a PhD position (German gov. salary TV-L 13, 65%) starting immediately. Research in our group is focused...
Ph D Studentship: Intergration And Validation Of Engineering Simulations, University of Liverpool, United Kingdom, 14 days ago
£14,296 stipend Faculty of Science and Engineering Location: University Campus Ref: PHD-PATTERSON-INTERGRATION-AND-VALIDATION /WWW Closing date for receipt of applications: Wed, 22 Jun 2016 17:00:...
Ph D In Molecular Plant Hormone Physiology, KU Leuven, Belgium, 10 days ago
Job posted by KU Leuven (21/05/2016 02.15) Marie Curie Actions. More 'HR Excellence in Research' logo awarded to institutions actively implementing the European Charter and Code for Researchers. M...