- Plant Virology and Modelling PhD Top Up Scholarships
- We are seeking highly motivated students to investigate two exciting PhD projects that will use cutting edge techniques to obtain a deeper understanding of an aphid-borne virus disease causing epidemics that threaten the viability of Australias $64m/year field pea industry. Researchers have found infection with Pea seed-borne mosaic virus (PSbMV) to be very widespread in commercial field pea crops and seed stocks in the WA and eastern states grainbelts. The virus seriously reduces field pea seed yields, damages seed quality, and limits the area where the crop can be sown profitably. Obtaining an improved understanding of the PSbMV - field pea pathosystem is vital to ensure a sustainable and viable long-term field pea industry in Australia. These two PhD projects will not only provide exposure to stimulating and interesting science but also help the field pea industry by providing effective management solutions for the disease.
- PhD project 1: Understanding Pea seed-borne mosaic virus (PSbMV) epidemics in field pea: whole genome virus phylogeny, resistance gene expression, and factors that influence transmission by aphid vectors.
- PhD project 2: Modelling Pea seed-borne mosaic virus (PSbMV) epidemics in field pea: collection of field data on factors influencing PSbMV and its aphid vectors, and construction of a predictive model and Decision Support System (DSS)
- Payment type
- Top Up Scholarship
- Value unit
- Per annum
- Basis of award
- Academic Achievement
- Applicants must also apply for an Australian Postgraduate Award (or equivalent).
Applicants for this project should expect to gain or hold a first class or high 2A honours degree, or equivalent, in plant biology, preferably with interest in the disciplines of plant virology, entomology or modelling.
- Applicants must be eligible for admission to the PhD program at The University of Western Australia.
- Applications should include evidence of qualifications and research experience, together with a curriculum vitae and contact details of two academic referees.
- For further information about these projects, or to submit an application, contact:
- Prof Roger Jones, Prof in Plant Virology, School of Plant Biology, Faculty of Natural and Agricultural Sciences, The University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley WA 6009, Australia. Phone: (08) 9368 3269; email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- A/Michael Renton, A/Prof in Modelling, School of Plant Biology, Faculty of Natural and Agricultural Sciences, The University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley WA 6009, Australia. Phone: (08) 6488 1959; email: email@example.com
- Australian Citizen, Australian Permanent Resident
- Study area
- Plant Biology, Agricultural Science, Botany, Plant Science
- Commencement date
- Applications open
- Applications close
- Tenable At
- University of Western Australia
- Currently available
- Application status
Australia Awards, RMIT University, Australia, 10 days ago
08 DecAustralian scholarships on show at ASEAN and East Asia Summit On 12 November 2014, Prime Minister Tony Abbott toured an Australia Awards photographic exhibition in the sidelines of the ASEAN...
Improving Banana Quality Through Supply Chain Management, The University of Tasmania, Australia, 20 days ago
ARC Industrial Transformation Training Centre for Innovative Horticultural Products PhD ScholarshipsImproving banana quality through supply chain managementAbout the Centre The Centre is hoste...
Endeavour Postgraduate Scholarship (Part Of Endeavour Awards), University of South Australia, Australia, 17 days ago
The Endeavour Postgraduate Scholarship is part of the Australian Government's Endeavour Awards, and provides financial support for international students for up to 4 years to undertake a postgrad...
External Scholarships, University of Wollongong, Australia, 12 days ago
ARC Research Hub for Australian Steel Manufacturing The Steel Research Hub will be the centrepiece for collaborative steel research in Australia, striving to deliver breakthrough product and proce...
Ph D Scholarship Plant Pests Ecology (Modeling), Bioforsk, Norway, 23 days ago
Job posted by Bioforsk (09/01/2015 12.43) Marie Curie Actions. More 'HR Excellence in Research' logo awarded to institutions actively implementing the European Charter and Code for Researchers. Mo...
M Res/Ph D Studentship In The Institute For Cell And Molecular Biosciences Ebola Virus Vaccine: Development Of A Salmonella Based Vaccine Delivery Platform, Newcastle University, United Kingdom, 13 days ago
Closing Date: 6th February 2015 Details: Value, Duration and Start Date of the Award The funding covers one year MRes followed by a three year PhD. The award covers tuition fees at the UK/EU rate...