- Plant Virology and Modelling PhD Top Up Scholarships
- We are seeking highly motivated students to investigate two exciting PhD projects that will use cutting edge techniques to obtain a deeper understanding of an aphid-borne virus disease causing epidemics that threaten the viability of Australias $64m/year field pea industry. Researchers have found infection with Pea seed-borne mosaic virus (PSbMV) to be very widespread in commercial field pea crops and seed stocks in the WA and eastern states grainbelts. The virus seriously reduces field pea seed yields, damages seed quality, and limits the area where the crop can be sown profitably. Obtaining an improved understanding of the PSbMV - field pea pathosystem is vital to ensure a sustainable and viable long-term field pea industry in Australia. These two PhD projects will not only provide exposure to stimulating and interesting science but also help the field pea industry by providing effective management solutions for the disease.
- PhD project 1: Understanding Pea seed-borne mosaic virus (PSbMV) epidemics in field pea: whole genome virus phylogeny, resistance gene expression, and factors that influence transmission by aphid vectors.
- PhD project 2: Modelling Pea seed-borne mosaic virus (PSbMV) epidemics in field pea: collection of field data on factors influencing PSbMV and its aphid vectors, and construction of a predictive model and Decision Support System (DSS)
- Payment type
- Top Up Scholarship
- Value unit
- Per annum
- Basis of award
- Academic Achievement
- Applicants must also apply for an Australian Postgraduate Award (or equivalent).
Applicants for this project should expect to gain or hold a first class or high 2A honours degree, or equivalent, in plant biology, preferably with interest in the disciplines of plant virology, entomology or modelling.
- Applicants must be eligible for admission to the PhD program at The University of Western Australia.
- Applications should include evidence of qualifications and research experience, together with a curriculum vitae and contact details of two academic referees.
- For further information about these projects, or to submit an application, contact:
- Prof Roger Jones, Prof in Plant Virology, School of Plant Biology, Faculty of Natural and Agricultural Sciences, The University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley WA 6009, Australia. Phone: (08) 9368 3269; email: email@example.com
- A/Michael Renton, A/Prof in Modelling, School of Plant Biology, Faculty of Natural and Agricultural Sciences, The University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley WA 6009, Australia. Phone: (08) 6488 1959; email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Australian Citizen, Australian Permanent Resident
- Study area
- Plant Biology, Agricultural Science, Botany, Plant Science
- Commencement date
- Applications open
- Applications close
- Tenable At
- University of Western Australia
- Currently available
- Application status
Ph D Scholarship In The Uq Rt Bauxite And Alumina Technology Centre, The University of Queensland, Australia, 22 days ago
Apply now Job no:497954 Area:Faculty Of Engineering, Architecture & Info Tech Salary (FTE):Advertised at multiple classifications Work type:Full Time - Scholarship Location: St Lucia, Brisbane The...
Ph D Studentship: Investigating Potential Modifiers Of The Cag Repeat On The Phenotype Exhibited In Polyglutamine (Poly Q) Disorders, University College London, United Kingdom, 16 days ago
Applications are invited for a PhD studentship at the Department of Molecular Neuroscience, UCL Institute of Neurology. The supervisor for this project will be Dr. Paola Giunti. The anticipated st...
Ph D Fellowship (Neuroscience/Drug Discovery), University of Western Sydney, Europe, 10 days ago
Job posted by University of Western Sydney (30/09/2015 09.14) Marie Curie Actions. More 'HR Excellence in Research' logo awarded to institutions actively implementing the European Charter and Cod...
Two To Three Ph D Scholarships In "Microbial Growth Regulation Of Abies Nordmanniana", University of Copenhagen, Denmark, 4 days ago
PhD Scholarships in “Microbial growth-regulation of Abies nordmanniana” Department of Plant and Environmental Sciences, Faculty of Science at University of Copenhagen is offering two to three PhD ...
Ph D Scholarship In Development And Use Of New Technologies To Study The Behaviour And To Control Foodborne Viruses In Heat Treated Soft Fruits, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, about 19 hours ago
Apply no later than 22 October 2015 Apply for the job at DTU Food by completing the following form. Apply online The National Food Institute (DTU Food) invites applications for a 3-year PhD-positi...
Ph D Scholarship In Plant Microbe Interactions (Best Pass), Esr5, University of Copenhagen, Denmark, 9 days ago
BestPass: Boosting plant-endophyte stability, compatibility and performance across scales The University of Copenhagen is offering a PhD scholarship in Plant-Microbe Interactions with expected c...