- Plant Virology and Modelling PhD Top Up Scholarships
- We are seeking highly motivated students to investigate two exciting PhD projects that will use cutting edge techniques to obtain a deeper understanding of an aphid-borne virus disease causing epidemics that threaten the viability of Australias $64m/year field pea industry. Researchers have found infection with Pea seed-borne mosaic virus (PSbMV) to be very widespread in commercial field pea crops and seed stocks in the WA and eastern states grainbelts. The virus seriously reduces field pea seed yields, damages seed quality, and limits the area where the crop can be sown profitably. Obtaining an improved understanding of the PSbMV - field pea pathosystem is vital to ensure a sustainable and viable long-term field pea industry in Australia. These two PhD projects will not only provide exposure to stimulating and interesting science but also help the field pea industry by providing effective management solutions for the disease.
- PhD project 1: Understanding Pea seed-borne mosaic virus (PSbMV) epidemics in field pea: whole genome virus phylogeny, resistance gene expression, and factors that influence transmission by aphid vectors.
- PhD project 2: Modelling Pea seed-borne mosaic virus (PSbMV) epidemics in field pea: collection of field data on factors influencing PSbMV and its aphid vectors, and construction of a predictive model and Decision Support System (DSS)
- Payment type
- Top Up Scholarship
- Value unit
- Per annum
- Basis of award
- Academic Achievement
- Applicants must also apply for an Australian Postgraduate Award (or equivalent).
Applicants for this project should expect to gain or hold a first class or high 2A honours degree, or equivalent, in plant biology, preferably with interest in the disciplines of plant virology, entomology or modelling.
- Applicants must be eligible for admission to the PhD program at The University of Western Australia.
- Applications should include evidence of qualifications and research experience, together with a curriculum vitae and contact details of two academic referees.
- For further information about these projects, or to submit an application, contact:
- Prof Roger Jones, Prof in Plant Virology, School of Plant Biology, Faculty of Natural and Agricultural Sciences, The University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley WA 6009, Australia. Phone: (08) 9368 3269; email: email@example.com
- A/Michael Renton, A/Prof in Modelling, School of Plant Biology, Faculty of Natural and Agricultural Sciences, The University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley WA 6009, Australia. Phone: (08) 6488 1959; email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Australian Citizen, Australian Permanent Resident
- Study area
- Plant Biology, Agricultural Science, Botany, Plant Science
- Commencement date
- Applications open
- Applications close
- Tenable At
- University of Western Australia
- Currently available
- Application status
Ph D Studentship Advancing Grain Number And Harvest Index In Wheat Through Genomics Enabled Physiological Breeding, University of Nottingham, United Kingdom, about 1 month ago
ReferenceSCI1683Closing DateFriday, 27th January 2017DepartmentPlant & Crop Sciences Supervisor: John Foulkes Secondary Supervisor: Erik Murchie Subject Area: Crop Science Research Title: Advancin...
Fundraising Institute Of Australia Conference National Scholarship 2017, Australian Scholarships Foundation, Australia, 12 days ago
Scholarship Overview A scholarship will be provided to one member from each state and territory (8 total) to attend the 2017 FIA Conference in the Gold Coast. The scholarship covers the cost of a ...
Ph D Research Studentship, Abertay University, United Kingdom, 5 days ago
Reference: THW/17/059651/000003 Contract Type:Temporary/Fixed term Contract Term:Part time PhD Research Studentship Project Title: Evaluating the effect of plant species on soil carbonation flux A...
Ph D Studentship, A. Mickiewicz University, Poznań, Poland, A. Mickiewicz University in Poznań, Poland, 23 days ago
We seek a highly motivated student interested in evolutionary ecology to carry out a PhD project in thePopulation Ecology Lab, Faculty of Biology, A. Mickiewicz University (AMU) in Poznań, Poland, ...
Ph D Scholarship Funded By Nuclear Decommissioning Authority (Nda) On Automated Visual Detection Of Plant Anomalies, University of Surrey, United Kingdom, 5 days ago
View All Vacancies Department of Electrical & Electronic Engineering Location: Guildford Post Type: Full Time Advert Placed: Tuesday 17 January 2017 Closing Date: Thursday 16 February 2017 Int...
Rh D Scholarship Coolman Study (M Phil Or Ph D), The University of Queensland, Australia, 18 days ago
Apply now Job no:500038 Area:Faculty of Medicine Salary (FTE):Research Scholar BAND Work type:Full Time - Scholarship Location: Brisbane Established in 2015, the UQ Child Health Research Centre (U...