- Plant Virology and Modelling PhD Top Up Scholarships
- We are seeking highly motivated students to investigate two exciting PhD projects that will use cutting edge techniques to obtain a deeper understanding of an aphid-borne virus disease causing epidemics that threaten the viability of Australias $64m/year field pea industry. Researchers have found infection with Pea seed-borne mosaic virus (PSbMV) to be very widespread in commercial field pea crops and seed stocks in the WA and eastern states grainbelts. The virus seriously reduces field pea seed yields, damages seed quality, and limits the area where the crop can be sown profitably. Obtaining an improved understanding of the PSbMV - field pea pathosystem is vital to ensure a sustainable and viable long-term field pea industry in Australia. These two PhD projects will not only provide exposure to stimulating and interesting science but also help the field pea industry by providing effective management solutions for the disease.
- PhD project 1: Understanding Pea seed-borne mosaic virus (PSbMV) epidemics in field pea: whole genome virus phylogeny, resistance gene expression, and factors that influence transmission by aphid vectors.
- PhD project 2: Modelling Pea seed-borne mosaic virus (PSbMV) epidemics in field pea: collection of field data on factors influencing PSbMV and its aphid vectors, and construction of a predictive model and Decision Support System (DSS)
- Payment type
- Top Up Scholarship
- Value unit
- Per annum
- Basis of award
- Academic Achievement
- Applicants must also apply for an Australian Postgraduate Award (or equivalent).
Applicants for this project should expect to gain or hold a first class or high 2A honours degree, or equivalent, in plant biology, preferably with interest in the disciplines of plant virology, entomology or modelling.
- Applicants must be eligible for admission to the PhD program at The University of Western Australia.
- Applications should include evidence of qualifications and research experience, together with a curriculum vitae and contact details of two academic referees.
- For further information about these projects, or to submit an application, contact:
- Prof Roger Jones, Prof in Plant Virology, School of Plant Biology, Faculty of Natural and Agricultural Sciences, The University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley WA 6009, Australia. Phone: (08) 9368 3269; email: email@example.com
- A/Michael Renton, A/Prof in Modelling, School of Plant Biology, Faculty of Natural and Agricultural Sciences, The University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley WA 6009, Australia. Phone: (08) 6488 1959; email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Australian Citizen, Australian Permanent Resident
- Study area
- Plant Biology, Agricultural Science, Botany, Plant Science
- Commencement date
- Applications open
- Applications close
- Tenable At
- University of Western Australia
- Currently available
- Application status
Open Ph D Positions In The International Max Planck Research School (Imprs) At The Mpipz In Cologne, Max Planck Institute for Plant Breeding Research (MPIPZ), Germany, 24 days ago
Job posted by Max Planck Institute for Plant Breeding Research (MPIPZ) (08/11/2016 16.24) Marie Curie Actions. More 'HR Excellence in Research' logo awarded to institutions actively implementing t...
Ph D Scholarship, The University of Queensland, Australia, 29 days ago
Apply now Job no:499734 Area:Faculty of Science Salary (FTE):APA Scholarship NON-BANDED ($26,288.00 - $26,288.00) Work type:Full Time - Fixed Term, Full Time - Scholarship Location: St Lucia, Bris...
Ph D Scholar, The University of Queensland, Australia, 23 days ago
Apply now Job no:499772 Area:Faculty of Medicine Salary (FTE):Externally Funded Res Scholar BAND Work type:Full Time - Scholarship Location: Brisbane The School of Clinical Medicine The School of ...
Ph D Student Physiology, Radboud University Medical Center (Radboudumc), Netherlands, 30 days ago
Job posted by AcademicTransfer (02/11/2016 00.30) Marie Curie Actions. More 'HR Excellence in Research' logo awarded to institutions actively implementing the European Charter and Code for Researc...
Ph D Studentship In The Synaptic Basis Of Memory Formation And Loss, The University of Queensland, Australia, 17 days ago
Apply now Job no:499840 Area:Queensland Brain Institute Salary (FTE):School Schol (APA Rate) NONBAND ($26,288.00 - $26,288.00) Work type:Full Time - Scholarship Location: St Lucia Queensland Brain...
Ph D Studentship: Elucidating The Role Of Endocytosis In Candida Survival And Proliferation In Host Cells., University of Sheffield, United Kingdom, 30 days ago
Job posted by Global Academy Jobs (02/11/2016 01.01) Marie Curie Actions. More 'HR Excellence in Research' logo awarded to institutions actively implementing the European Charter and Code for Rese...