- Plant Virology and Modelling PhD Top Up Scholarships
- We are seeking highly motivated students to investigate two exciting PhD projects that will use cutting edge techniques to obtain a deeper understanding of an aphid-borne virus disease causing epidemics that threaten the viability of Australias $64m/year field pea industry. Researchers have found infection with Pea seed-borne mosaic virus (PSbMV) to be very widespread in commercial field pea crops and seed stocks in the WA and eastern states grainbelts. The virus seriously reduces field pea seed yields, damages seed quality, and limits the area where the crop can be sown profitably. Obtaining an improved understanding of the PSbMV - field pea pathosystem is vital to ensure a sustainable and viable long-term field pea industry in Australia. These two PhD projects will not only provide exposure to stimulating and interesting science but also help the field pea industry by providing effective management solutions for the disease.
- PhD project 1: Understanding Pea seed-borne mosaic virus (PSbMV) epidemics in field pea: whole genome virus phylogeny, resistance gene expression, and factors that influence transmission by aphid vectors.
- PhD project 2: Modelling Pea seed-borne mosaic virus (PSbMV) epidemics in field pea: collection of field data on factors influencing PSbMV and its aphid vectors, and construction of a predictive model and Decision Support System (DSS)
- Payment type
- Top Up Scholarship
- Value unit
- Per annum
- Basis of award
- Academic Achievement
- Applicants must also apply for an Australian Postgraduate Award (or equivalent).
Applicants for this project should expect to gain or hold a first class or high 2A honours degree, or equivalent, in plant biology, preferably with interest in the disciplines of plant virology, entomology or modelling.
- Applicants must be eligible for admission to the PhD program at The University of Western Australia.
- Applications should include evidence of qualifications and research experience, together with a curriculum vitae and contact details of two academic referees.
- For further information about these projects, or to submit an application, contact:
- Prof Roger Jones, Prof in Plant Virology, School of Plant Biology, Faculty of Natural and Agricultural Sciences, The University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley WA 6009, Australia. Phone: (08) 9368 3269; email: email@example.com
- A/Michael Renton, A/Prof in Modelling, School of Plant Biology, Faculty of Natural and Agricultural Sciences, The University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley WA 6009, Australia. Phone: (08) 6488 1959; email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Australian Citizen, Australian Permanent Resident
- Study area
- Plant Biology, Agricultural Science, Botany, Plant Science
- Commencement date
- Applications open
- Applications close
- Tenable At
- University of Western Australia
- Currently available
- Application status
Postgraduate Scholarship In Wheat Rust Pathology And Genetics, University of Sydney, Australia, 30 days ago
Funding Body: University of Sydney Title: Postgraduate Scholarship in Wheat Rust Pathology and Genetics Research Areas: Health Sciences; Sciences & Engineering Type Postgraduate Research Descripti...
Ph D Scholarship, The University of Queensland, Australia, 10 days ago
PHD SCHOLARSHIP The School of Civil Engineering at The University of Queensland (Brisbane, Australia) is offering PhD scholarships for motivated students to contribute to research being undertaken...
Ph D Studentship Optimising Canopy Size And Structure In Field Beans Grown In A Temperate Climate, University of Nottingham, United Kingdom, 5 days ago
ReferenceSCI1641Closing DateMonday, 17th October 2016DepartmentPlant & Crop Sciences Research Title: Optimising canopy size and structure in field beans grown in a temperate climate Subject Area: ...
Ph D Studentship: Enhancing Pest Regulation By Natural Enemies In Spanish Orange Groves, University of Worcester, United Kingdom, 28 days ago
Home / Join our community / Job opportunities / Current vacancies / PhD Studentship: Enhancing pest regulation by natural enemies in Spanish orange groves PhD Studentship: Enhancing pest regul...
1 Postdoctoral And 1 Ph D Position On Network Structures In Multitrophic Plant Microbe And Microbe Microbe Interactions, Max Planck Institute for Plant Breeding Research, Germany, 2 days ago
1 Postdoctoral and 1 PhD Position on Network Structures in Multitrophic Plant-Microbe and Microbe-Microbe Interactions Marie Curie Actions. More 'HR Excellence in Research' logo awarded to institu...
Ph D Position, University College Cork, Ireland, 8 days ago
Job posted by Irish Universities Association (16/07/2016 01.45) Marie Curie Actions. More 'HR Excellence in Research' logo awarded to institutions actively implementing the European Charter and Co...