- Plant Virology and Modelling PhD Top Up Scholarships
- We are seeking highly motivated students to investigate two exciting PhD projects that will use cutting edge techniques to obtain a deeper understanding of an aphid-borne virus disease causing epidemics that threaten the viability of Australias $64m/year field pea industry. Researchers have found infection with Pea seed-borne mosaic virus (PSbMV) to be very widespread in commercial field pea crops and seed stocks in the WA and eastern states grainbelts. The virus seriously reduces field pea seed yields, damages seed quality, and limits the area where the crop can be sown profitably. Obtaining an improved understanding of the PSbMV - field pea pathosystem is vital to ensure a sustainable and viable long-term field pea industry in Australia. These two PhD projects will not only provide exposure to stimulating and interesting science but also help the field pea industry by providing effective management solutions for the disease.
- PhD project 1: Understanding Pea seed-borne mosaic virus (PSbMV) epidemics in field pea: whole genome virus phylogeny, resistance gene expression, and factors that influence transmission by aphid vectors.
- PhD project 2: Modelling Pea seed-borne mosaic virus (PSbMV) epidemics in field pea: collection of field data on factors influencing PSbMV and its aphid vectors, and construction of a predictive model and Decision Support System (DSS)
- Payment type
- Top Up Scholarship
- Value unit
- Per annum
- Basis of award
- Academic Achievement
- Applicants must also apply for an Australian Postgraduate Award (or equivalent).
Applicants for this project should expect to gain or hold a first class or high 2A honours degree, or equivalent, in plant biology, preferably with interest in the disciplines of plant virology, entomology or modelling.
- Applicants must be eligible for admission to the PhD program at The University of Western Australia.
- Applications should include evidence of qualifications and research experience, together with a curriculum vitae and contact details of two academic referees.
- For further information about these projects, or to submit an application, contact:
- Prof Roger Jones, Prof in Plant Virology, School of Plant Biology, Faculty of Natural and Agricultural Sciences, The University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley WA 6009, Australia. Phone: (08) 9368 3269; email: email@example.com
- A/Michael Renton, A/Prof in Modelling, School of Plant Biology, Faculty of Natural and Agricultural Sciences, The University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley WA 6009, Australia. Phone: (08) 6488 1959; email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Australian Citizen, Australian Permanent Resident
- Study area
- Plant Biology, Agricultural Science, Botany, Plant Science
- Commencement date
- Applications open
- Applications close
- Tenable At
- University of Western Australia
- Currently available
- Application status
Australian Government :Australia Awards, Flinders University, Australia, about 8 hours ago
Opening Date: 01-02-2017 Closing Date: 30-04-2017 The Australia Awards are a whole-of-government initiative bringing together scholarships and fellowships administered by the Department of Foreign...
Uts Science Faculty Strategic Ph D Scholarship Establishing The Flammability Of Native And Exotic Plants For Bushfire Management, University of Technology Sydney, Australia, about 17 hours ago
A fully funded PhD position is available to work in the Murray Ecology Lab in the School of Life Sciences at the University of Technology Sydney. Research in the lab focuses primarily on fire ecol...
Ph D Position "Maximizing Photosynthetic Efficiency In Maize", Technische Universität München, Germany, about 22 hours ago
23.02.2017, Wissenschaftliches Personal The chair of plant breeding at the Technical University of Munich / TUM School of Life Sciences Weihenstephan invites applications for a PhD position TV-L E...
Ph D Position In Quantitative Genetics, Technische Universität München, Germany, about 22 hours ago
23.02.2017, Wissenschaftliches Personal The chair of plant breeding at the Technical University of Munich / TUM School of Life Sciences Weihenstephan invites applications for a PhD position (TV-L ...
Ngiam Tong Yuen Scholarship Ugce1187, University of New South Wales, Australia, about 17 hours ago
Key Scholarship Details Stage High school leavers, First year students Opens 08/02/2017 Closing Date 31/03/2017 For commencement Semester 1 2017 Value $10,000 1 Scholarship(s) available For up to ...
Ph D – Neuropsychology/Psychiatry: An Investigation Of The Neural Substrates Underlying Electroconvulsive Therapy (Ect) Induced Memory Changes , University of New South Wales, Australia, 27 days ago
The Sydney Neurostimulation Centre (SyNC) located within the Black Dog Institute, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia is seeking a Ph.D student to undertake research investigating how ...