- Plant Virology and Modelling PhD Top Up Scholarships
- We are seeking highly motivated students to investigate two exciting PhD projects that will use cutting edge techniques to obtain a deeper understanding of an aphid-borne virus disease causing epidemics that threaten the viability of Australias $64m/year field pea industry. Researchers have found infection with Pea seed-borne mosaic virus (PSbMV) to be very widespread in commercial field pea crops and seed stocks in the WA and eastern states grainbelts. The virus seriously reduces field pea seed yields, damages seed quality, and limits the area where the crop can be sown profitably. Obtaining an improved understanding of the PSbMV - field pea pathosystem is vital to ensure a sustainable and viable long-term field pea industry in Australia. These two PhD projects will not only provide exposure to stimulating and interesting science but also help the field pea industry by providing effective management solutions for the disease.
- PhD project 1: Understanding Pea seed-borne mosaic virus (PSbMV) epidemics in field pea: whole genome virus phylogeny, resistance gene expression, and factors that influence transmission by aphid vectors.
- PhD project 2: Modelling Pea seed-borne mosaic virus (PSbMV) epidemics in field pea: collection of field data on factors influencing PSbMV and its aphid vectors, and construction of a predictive model and Decision Support System (DSS)
- Payment type
- Top Up Scholarship
- Value unit
- Per annum
- Basis of award
- Academic Achievement
- Applicants must also apply for an Australian Postgraduate Award (or equivalent).
Applicants for this project should expect to gain or hold a first class or high 2A honours degree, or equivalent, in plant biology, preferably with interest in the disciplines of plant virology, entomology or modelling.
- Applicants must be eligible for admission to the PhD program at The University of Western Australia.
- Applications should include evidence of qualifications and research experience, together with a curriculum vitae and contact details of two academic referees.
- For further information about these projects, or to submit an application, contact:
- Prof Roger Jones, Prof in Plant Virology, School of Plant Biology, Faculty of Natural and Agricultural Sciences, The University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley WA 6009, Australia. Phone: (08) 9368 3269; email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- A/Michael Renton, A/Prof in Modelling, School of Plant Biology, Faculty of Natural and Agricultural Sciences, The University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley WA 6009, Australia. Phone: (08) 6488 1959; email: email@example.com
- Australian Citizen, Australian Permanent Resident
- Study area
- Plant Biology, Agricultural Science, Botany, Plant Science
- Commencement date
- Applications open
- Applications close
- Tenable At
- University of Western Australia
- Currently available
- Application status
Sir Terry Pratchett Memorial Scholarship, University of South Australia, Australia, about 24 hours ago
As part of his legacy beyond literature, the Discworld Foundation established by international bestselling author, the late Sir Terry Pratchett, has established a perpetual scholarship in his name...
Ph D Scholarship Genomics – Testing For Fishing Induced Evolution, Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand, about 1 hour ago
Value: Please see additional information Tenure of award: One scholarship is to be awarded for three years Closing dates for applications: 01 July 2017 Number of awards offered: One History or bac...
Expression Of Interest (Eoi) For Ph D Candidates, The University of Queensland, Australia, 22 days ago
Apply now Job no:500433 Area:Faculty of Science Salary (FTE):APA Scholarship NON-BANDED ($26,682.00 - $26,682.00) Work type:Full Time - Scholarship, Full Time - Fixed Term Location: Gatton The Sch...
Ph D Scholar, The University of Queensland, Australia, 27 days ago
Doctoral Opportunities in Innate Immune Research Cancer Biology and Care Program, Faculty of Medicine-Mater Research Institute – The University of Queensland, Australia The Faculty of Medicine is ...
Raymond L. Debus Bequest Scholarship, University of Sydney, Australia, about 8 hours ago
Funding Body: University of Sydney Title: Raymond L. Debus Bequest Scholarship Research Areas: Humanities & Social Sciences Type Postgraduate Research Description: Established in 2017 by a bequest...
Expression Of Interest (Eoi) For Ph D Candidates, The University of Queensland, Australia, 24 days ago
Apply now Job no:500388 Area:Faculty of Science Salary (FTE):APA Scholarship NON-BANDED ($26,682.00 - $26,682.00) Work type:Full Time - Scholarship, Full Time - Fixed Term Location: Gatton The Sch...