- Plant Virology and Modelling PhD Top Up Scholarships
- We are seeking highly motivated students to investigate two exciting PhD projects that will use cutting edge techniques to obtain a deeper understanding of an aphid-borne virus disease causing epidemics that threaten the viability of Australias $64m/year field pea industry. Researchers have found infection with Pea seed-borne mosaic virus (PSbMV) to be very widespread in commercial field pea crops and seed stocks in the WA and eastern states grainbelts. The virus seriously reduces field pea seed yields, damages seed quality, and limits the area where the crop can be sown profitably. Obtaining an improved understanding of the PSbMV - field pea pathosystem is vital to ensure a sustainable and viable long-term field pea industry in Australia. These two PhD projects will not only provide exposure to stimulating and interesting science but also help the field pea industry by providing effective management solutions for the disease.
- PhD project 1: Understanding Pea seed-borne mosaic virus (PSbMV) epidemics in field pea: whole genome virus phylogeny, resistance gene expression, and factors that influence transmission by aphid vectors.
- PhD project 2: Modelling Pea seed-borne mosaic virus (PSbMV) epidemics in field pea: collection of field data on factors influencing PSbMV and its aphid vectors, and construction of a predictive model and Decision Support System (DSS)
- Payment type
- Top Up Scholarship
- Value unit
- Per annum
- Basis of award
- Academic Achievement
- Applicants must also apply for an Australian Postgraduate Award (or equivalent).
Applicants for this project should expect to gain or hold a first class or high 2A honours degree, or equivalent, in plant biology, preferably with interest in the disciplines of plant virology, entomology or modelling.
- Applicants must be eligible for admission to the PhD program at The University of Western Australia.
- Applications should include evidence of qualifications and research experience, together with a curriculum vitae and contact details of two academic referees.
- For further information about these projects, or to submit an application, contact:
- Prof Roger Jones, Prof in Plant Virology, School of Plant Biology, Faculty of Natural and Agricultural Sciences, The University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley WA 6009, Australia. Phone: (08) 9368 3269; email: email@example.com
- A/Michael Renton, A/Prof in Modelling, School of Plant Biology, Faculty of Natural and Agricultural Sciences, The University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley WA 6009, Australia. Phone: (08) 6488 1959; email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Australian Citizen, Australian Permanent Resident
- Study area
- Plant Biology, Agricultural Science, Botany, Plant Science
- Commencement date
- Applications open
- Applications close
- Tenable At
- University of Western Australia
- Currently available
- Application status
Ph D Candidate On Remote Sensing Based Characterization Of Functional Diversity In Polar Regions, Leiden University, Netherlands, about 1 month ago
The Faculty of Science, the Institute of Environmental Sciences (CML), vacancy 15-366 The Institute of Environmental Sciences (CML) of the Faculty of Science is looking for a: PhD candidate on Rem...
Terry Pratchett Memorial Scholarship, University of South Australia, Australia, 8 days ago
As part of his legacy beyond literature, the Discworld Foundation established by international bestselling author, the late Sir Terry Pratchett, has established a perpetual scholarship in his name...
Ph D Position In Forest Ecophysiology, ETH Zurich, Switzerland, 2 days ago
Job posted by Academic Positions (24/11/2015 16.04) Marie Curie Actions. More 'HR Excellence in Research' logo awarded to institutions actively implementing the European Charter and Code for Resea...
Ph D Studentship: Biological Controls On Siltation In Gravel Bed Rivers, The University of Southampton, United Kingdom, 21 days ago
Water & Environmental Engineering Group Location: Highfield Campus Closing Date: Monday 04 January 2016 Reference: 647115AT Project Reference: CMEES-WEE-128 The student will be registered at the ...
Custodian I (2 Positions), University of Southern Mississippi, United States, 22 days ago
Posting Number: 0003770 Job Title: Custodian I (2 positions) Grant Funded? No Position Type: Staff Campus: Hattiesburg Department: Physical Plant Administration Pay Grade Level: 01 Job Summary: T...
Custodian I (2 Positions), University of Southern Mississippi, United States, 4 days ago
Posting Number: 0003805 Job Title: Custodian I (2 positions) Grant Funded? No Position Type: Staff Campus: Hattiesburg Department: Physical Plant Administration Pay Grade Level: 01 Job Summary: T...