- Plant Virology and Modelling PhD Top Up Scholarships
- We are seeking highly motivated students to investigate two exciting PhD projects that will use cutting edge techniques to obtain a deeper understanding of an aphid-borne virus disease causing epidemics that threaten the viability of Australias $64m/year field pea industry. Researchers have found infection with Pea seed-borne mosaic virus (PSbMV) to be very widespread in commercial field pea crops and seed stocks in the WA and eastern states grainbelts. The virus seriously reduces field pea seed yields, damages seed quality, and limits the area where the crop can be sown profitably. Obtaining an improved understanding of the PSbMV - field pea pathosystem is vital to ensure a sustainable and viable long-term field pea industry in Australia. These two PhD projects will not only provide exposure to stimulating and interesting science but also help the field pea industry by providing effective management solutions for the disease.
- PhD project 1: Understanding Pea seed-borne mosaic virus (PSbMV) epidemics in field pea: whole genome virus phylogeny, resistance gene expression, and factors that influence transmission by aphid vectors.
- PhD project 2: Modelling Pea seed-borne mosaic virus (PSbMV) epidemics in field pea: collection of field data on factors influencing PSbMV and its aphid vectors, and construction of a predictive model and Decision Support System (DSS)
- Payment type
- Top Up Scholarship
- Value unit
- Per annum
- Basis of award
- Academic Achievement
- Applicants must also apply for an Australian Postgraduate Award (or equivalent).
Applicants for this project should expect to gain or hold a first class or high 2A honours degree, or equivalent, in plant biology, preferably with interest in the disciplines of plant virology, entomology or modelling.
- Applicants must be eligible for admission to the PhD program at The University of Western Australia.
- Applications should include evidence of qualifications and research experience, together with a curriculum vitae and contact details of two academic referees.
- For further information about these projects, or to submit an application, contact:
- Prof Roger Jones, Prof in Plant Virology, School of Plant Biology, Faculty of Natural and Agricultural Sciences, The University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley WA 6009, Australia. Phone: (08) 9368 3269; email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- A/Michael Renton, A/Prof in Modelling, School of Plant Biology, Faculty of Natural and Agricultural Sciences, The University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley WA 6009, Australia. Phone: (08) 6488 1959; email: email@example.com
- Australian Citizen, Australian Permanent Resident
- Study area
- Plant Biology, Agricultural Science, Botany, Plant Science
- Commencement date
- Applications open
- Applications close
- Tenable At
- University of Western Australia
- Currently available
- Application status
Ph D Position On: Mode Of Action Of Baculovirus Oral Infectivity Factors, Wageningen University and Research Center, Netherlands, 18 days ago
We are looking for We are searching for a suitable candidate for a PhD project financed by the ALW Open Programme. The research project focuses on the oral infection mechanism of baculoviruses. Th...
Innovative Horticultural Products Ph D Scholarships (10), University of Tasmania, Australia, 8 days ago
ARC Industrial Transformation Training Centre for Innovative Horticultural Products PhD ScholarshipsUniversity of Tasmania, AustraliaThe Centre has been made possible through $4.1million funding fr...
Ph D Student Hepatitis C Virus, University of Giessen, Germany, 18 days ago
Job posted by University of Giessen (04/12/2014 15.59) Marie Curie Actions. More 'HR Excellence in Research' logo awarded to institutions actively implementing the European Charter and Code for Re...
Bacterial Epidemic Genomics Ph D Application, Dublin City University (DCU), United Kingdom, 10 days ago
Bacterial epidemic genomics PhD application Marie Curie Actions Co-fund. More Marie Curie Actions. More European Research Council. More 'HR Excellence in Research' logo awarded to institutions act...
Ph D Scholarship – Modelling Physical Changes Of Meat During Heat Treatment, CSIRO, Australia, 17 days ago
Are you passionate about a career in meat science? Access CSIRO’s world-class facilities Be a part of Australia’s leading science and research organisation The position: CSIRO’s Food and Nutrition...
John Monash Scholarships, University of Technology Sydney, Australia, 23 days ago
In 2003 the General Sir John Monash Scholarships were launched. Since this time, they have become Australia's most prestigious postgraduate scholarships Which recognise leadership capability, acad...