- Plant Virology and Modelling PhD Top Up Scholarships
- We are seeking highly motivated students to investigate two exciting PhD projects that will use cutting edge techniques to obtain a deeper understanding of an aphid-borne virus disease causing epidemics that threaten the viability of Australias $64m/year field pea industry. Researchers have found infection with Pea seed-borne mosaic virus (PSbMV) to be very widespread in commercial field pea crops and seed stocks in the WA and eastern states grainbelts. The virus seriously reduces field pea seed yields, damages seed quality, and limits the area where the crop can be sown profitably. Obtaining an improved understanding of the PSbMV - field pea pathosystem is vital to ensure a sustainable and viable long-term field pea industry in Australia. These two PhD projects will not only provide exposure to stimulating and interesting science but also help the field pea industry by providing effective management solutions for the disease.
- PhD project 1: Understanding Pea seed-borne mosaic virus (PSbMV) epidemics in field pea: whole genome virus phylogeny, resistance gene expression, and factors that influence transmission by aphid vectors.
- PhD project 2: Modelling Pea seed-borne mosaic virus (PSbMV) epidemics in field pea: collection of field data on factors influencing PSbMV and its aphid vectors, and construction of a predictive model and Decision Support System (DSS)
- Payment type
- Top Up Scholarship
- Value unit
- Per annum
- Basis of award
- Academic Achievement
- Applicants must also apply for an Australian Postgraduate Award (or equivalent).
Applicants for this project should expect to gain or hold a first class or high 2A honours degree, or equivalent, in plant biology, preferably with interest in the disciplines of plant virology, entomology or modelling.
- Applicants must be eligible for admission to the PhD program at The University of Western Australia.
- Applications should include evidence of qualifications and research experience, together with a curriculum vitae and contact details of two academic referees.
- For further information about these projects, or to submit an application, contact:
- Prof Roger Jones, Prof in Plant Virology, School of Plant Biology, Faculty of Natural and Agricultural Sciences, The University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley WA 6009, Australia. Phone: (08) 9368 3269; email: email@example.com
- A/Michael Renton, A/Prof in Modelling, School of Plant Biology, Faculty of Natural and Agricultural Sciences, The University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley WA 6009, Australia. Phone: (08) 6488 1959; email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Australian Citizen, Australian Permanent Resident
- Study area
- Plant Biology, Agricultural Science, Botany, Plant Science
- Commencement date
- Applications open
- Applications close
- Tenable At
- University of Western Australia
- Currently available
- Application status
Ph D Position In Medical Sciences – Tick Born Zoonotic Diseases, Uppsala University, Netherlands, 22 days ago
Uppsala University is an international research university focused on the development of science and education. Our most important assets are all the individuals who with their curiosity and their...
Ph D Scholarship In Animal Influenza Viruses, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, 15 days ago
Apply no later than 13 April 2015 Apply for the job at DTU Vet by completing the following form. Apply online The section for virology strives to increase the current knowledge of new and existing...
Ph D Position In Plant Biotechnology, FYTEKO, Belgium, 9 days ago
Fellowship posted by FYTEKO (19/03/2015 11.10) ! Offer by Large Company/SME Marie Curie Actions Co-fund. More Marie Curie Actions. More European Research Council. More 'HR Excellence in Research...
Ph D Studentship Soil Biodiversity And Resilience In Arable Cropping Systems, University of Nottingham, United Kingdom, 1 day ago
ReferenceSCI1453Closing DateThursday, 30th April 2015DepartmentBiosciences Supervisor: Karl Ritz, Secondary supervisor: Debbie Sparkes Subject Area Soil science / soil biology Research title...
Ph D Scholarship: Mass Spectrometry Imaging (Msi) Based Investigation Of Interdependent Agent Host Responses In Veterinary Animals, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, 11 days ago
Apply no later than 30 March 2015 Apply for the job at DTU Vet by completing the following form. Apply online DTU Veterinary Institute (DTU Vet) is seeking a PhD student for a 3-year project on Ma...
Ph.D. Scholarship Molecular Mechanisms Of Plant Adaptation To Micronutrient Deficiency, University of Copenhagen, Denmark, 1 day ago
The Department of Plant and Environmental Science, Faculty of Science at the University of Copenhagen, is offering a PhD scholarship commencing on September 1st 2015, or soon thereafter. Project...