- Plant Virology and Modelling PhD Top Up Scholarships
- We are seeking highly motivated students to investigate two exciting PhD projects that will use cutting edge techniques to obtain a deeper understanding of an aphid-borne virus disease causing epidemics that threaten the viability of Australias $64m/year field pea industry. Researchers have found infection with Pea seed-borne mosaic virus (PSbMV) to be very widespread in commercial field pea crops and seed stocks in the WA and eastern states grainbelts. The virus seriously reduces field pea seed yields, damages seed quality, and limits the area where the crop can be sown profitably. Obtaining an improved understanding of the PSbMV - field pea pathosystem is vital to ensure a sustainable and viable long-term field pea industry in Australia. These two PhD projects will not only provide exposure to stimulating and interesting science but also help the field pea industry by providing effective management solutions for the disease.
- PhD project 1: Understanding Pea seed-borne mosaic virus (PSbMV) epidemics in field pea: whole genome virus phylogeny, resistance gene expression, and factors that influence transmission by aphid vectors.
- PhD project 2: Modelling Pea seed-borne mosaic virus (PSbMV) epidemics in field pea: collection of field data on factors influencing PSbMV and its aphid vectors, and construction of a predictive model and Decision Support System (DSS)
- Payment type
- Top Up Scholarship
- Value unit
- Per annum
- Basis of award
- Academic Achievement
- Applicants must also apply for an Australian Postgraduate Award (or equivalent).
Applicants for this project should expect to gain or hold a first class or high 2A honours degree, or equivalent, in plant biology, preferably with interest in the disciplines of plant virology, entomology or modelling.
- Applicants must be eligible for admission to the PhD program at The University of Western Australia.
- Applications should include evidence of qualifications and research experience, together with a curriculum vitae and contact details of two academic referees.
- For further information about these projects, or to submit an application, contact:
- Prof Roger Jones, Prof in Plant Virology, School of Plant Biology, Faculty of Natural and Agricultural Sciences, The University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley WA 6009, Australia. Phone: (08) 9368 3269; email: email@example.com
- A/Michael Renton, A/Prof in Modelling, School of Plant Biology, Faculty of Natural and Agricultural Sciences, The University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley WA 6009, Australia. Phone: (08) 6488 1959; email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Australian Citizen, Australian Permanent Resident
- Study area
- Plant Biology, Agricultural Science, Botany, Plant Science
- Commencement date
- Applications open
- Applications close
- Tenable At
- University of Western Australia
- Currently available
- Application status
Ph D Scholarship X 3 In Speech Recognition (Computer Science, Electronic Engineering), Massey University, New Zealand, about 1 month ago
We are seeing three PhD students in the field of Speech Recognition, in the Language and Speech Processing Centre (http://clsp.massey.ac.nz), Massey University, New Zealand. The scholars...
Ph D Scholarships In Civil And Chemical Engineering, The University of Queensland, Australia, 28 days ago
Apply now Job no:497773 Area:Faculty Of Engineering, Architecture & Info Tech Salary (FTE):APA Industry Post 2005 Scholar NBAN ($31,298.00 - $31,298.00) Work type:Full Time - Scholarship Location:...
Westpac Future Leaders Scholarship, University of Tasmania, Australia, 27 days ago
Westpac Future Leaders Scholarship In celebration of Westpac Group’s upcoming 200th anniversary on 8 April 2017, the Westpac Bicentennial Foundation has been established. The Foundation has been e...
John Monash Scholarship, RMIT University, Australia, 30 days ago
Level 1, Bennelong House, 9 Queen ST, Melbourne, VIC, Australia. email@example.com (613) 9620 2428 Home Home About Us John Monash Scholars Support Applicants News and Events John Monash Contact ...
Iprs Ph D Fellowship, Western Sydney University, Australia, about 3 hours ago
Fellowship posted by University of Western Sydney (02/09/2015 09.30) Marie Curie Actions Co-fund. More Marie Curie Actions. More European Research Council. More 'HR Excellence in Research' logo a...
The Goda Foundation Ph D Scholarship, Griffith University, Australia, 5 days ago
About the research The Goda Foundation PhD Scholarship will provide vital support in helping to progress research into a clinical setting; a crucial aspect in ensuring that medical research impac...