- Plant Virology and Modelling PhD Top Up Scholarships
- We are seeking highly motivated students to investigate two exciting PhD projects that will use cutting edge techniques to obtain a deeper understanding of an aphid-borne virus disease causing epidemics that threaten the viability of Australias $64m/year field pea industry. Researchers have found infection with Pea seed-borne mosaic virus (PSbMV) to be very widespread in commercial field pea crops and seed stocks in the WA and eastern states grainbelts. The virus seriously reduces field pea seed yields, damages seed quality, and limits the area where the crop can be sown profitably. Obtaining an improved understanding of the PSbMV - field pea pathosystem is vital to ensure a sustainable and viable long-term field pea industry in Australia. These two PhD projects will not only provide exposure to stimulating and interesting science but also help the field pea industry by providing effective management solutions for the disease.
- PhD project 1: Understanding Pea seed-borne mosaic virus (PSbMV) epidemics in field pea: whole genome virus phylogeny, resistance gene expression, and factors that influence transmission by aphid vectors.
- PhD project 2: Modelling Pea seed-borne mosaic virus (PSbMV) epidemics in field pea: collection of field data on factors influencing PSbMV and its aphid vectors, and construction of a predictive model and Decision Support System (DSS)
- Payment type
- Top Up Scholarship
- Value unit
- Per annum
- Basis of award
- Academic Achievement
- Applicants must also apply for an Australian Postgraduate Award (or equivalent).
Applicants for this project should expect to gain or hold a first class or high 2A honours degree, or equivalent, in plant biology, preferably with interest in the disciplines of plant virology, entomology or modelling.
- Applicants must be eligible for admission to the PhD program at The University of Western Australia.
- Applications should include evidence of qualifications and research experience, together with a curriculum vitae and contact details of two academic referees.
- For further information about these projects, or to submit an application, contact:
- Prof Roger Jones, Prof in Plant Virology, School of Plant Biology, Faculty of Natural and Agricultural Sciences, The University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley WA 6009, Australia. Phone: (08) 9368 3269; email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- A/Michael Renton, A/Prof in Modelling, School of Plant Biology, Faculty of Natural and Agricultural Sciences, The University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley WA 6009, Australia. Phone: (08) 6488 1959; email: email@example.com
- Australian Citizen, Australian Permanent Resident
- Study area
- Plant Biology, Agricultural Science, Botany, Plant Science
- Commencement date
- Applications open
- Applications close
- Tenable At
- University of Western Australia
- Currently available
- Application status
Ph D Position In Photosynthesis Research, Technische Universität München, Germany, 10 days ago
16.09.2016, Wissenschaftliches Personal The chair of plant breeding at the Technical University of Munich / TUM School of Life Sciences Weihenstephan invites applications for a PhD position in pho...
Ph D Position In Quantitative Genetics, Technische Universität München, Germany, 10 days ago
16.09.2016, Wissenschaftliches Personal The chair of plant breeding at the Technical University of Munich / TUM School of Life Sciences Weihenstephan invites applications for a PhD position starti...
Ph D Scholarship In Population Genomics Of Tiger Sharks, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, 17 days ago
Apply no later than 15 October 2016 Apply for the job at DTU Aqua by completing the following form. Apply online A PhD Scholarship in Population Genetics of tiger sharks is available at the Nation...
Ph D Position In Eco Hydrology (Hydrological Constraints On Rare Earth Elements Dynamics In The Regolith Plant Continuum), Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology, Luxembourg, 4 days ago
Job posted by Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (21/09/2016 11.11) Marie Curie Actions. More 'HR Excellence in Research' logo awarded to institutions actively implementing the Europea...
Tura New Music Ph D Scholarship, Edith Cowan University, Australia, 7 days ago
This project will gather qualitative and quantative data on audience response to and engagement with music programs in metropolitan and regional Western Australia. The aim is to better understan...
Ph D Student In Ultrafast Fiber Lasers And Nonlinear Optics, Institute of Electronic Materials Technology, Poland, 4 days ago
Job posted by Institute of Electronic Materials Technology (21/09/2016 14.51) Marie Curie Actions. More 'HR Excellence in Research' logo awarded to institutions actively implementing the European ...