The Centre for Forensic Science (CFS) at UTS, a formal University Research Strength, has an excellent national and international reputation CFS has a strong ethos of fostering collaboration: it was established as a multidisciplinary centre and has developed sustained relationships with multiple law enforcement agencies. It hosts a vibrant and world-leading research group in fingerprint detection, and has very good connections with fingerprint researcher teams all around the world.
Project Description: Recent research identified significant challenges in quality assurance with respect to fingerprints. This project focusses on the implementation of a modified inkjet printer to produce artificial latent fingermarks. Obtaining fingermarks with a controlled composition would not only improve research efficiency and allow for fundamental researches, but would also impact practitioners. Specifically designed test strips could indeed be used to verify and document the efficiency fingermark detection techniques. Artificial fingermarks could also be used for education, training and proficiency testing. The project outcomes will significantly contribute to address current challenges in the fingerprint discipline through improved training, research and quality assurance.
Value and duration
The successful candidate will be awarded $26,682 per annum (2017) over three (3) years.
Please note, all scholarships at UTS are dependent upon satisfactory progress.
Who is eligible?
- Have completed a Bachelor Degree with First Class Honours or Second Class Honours (Division 1), or be regarded by the University as having an equivalent level of attainment; and
- Be undertaking a higher degree by research at UTS in the year of the scholarship; and
- Be enrolled as a full-time student.
- Their degree in chemistry or forensic science, or in a field relevant to the project, and/or have research experience (including research publications) in a field such as analytical chemistry or forensic science.
- Demonstrated excellent academic performance.
- Ability to work under minimum supervision.
- Experience with and a thorough understanding of latent fingermark detection. Experience working with industry and/or government agencies.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively in a team.
- Ability to translate research results into published research outcomes.
- Excellent time management skills to reach research deadlines.
- Overseas applications are welcomed (with current IELTS assessments), but the successful applicant must commence their studies no later than 31 August 2017 (visa approved).
Applications for this Scholarship are currently closed.
Instructions on how to apply will be available here during the application period.
Opening date: 15 February 2017
Closing date: 24 March 2017
For further information contact
Postdoctoral Research Fellow
School of Mathematical and Physical Sciences
3 Ph D Positions 'cities Of Refuge' (1.0 Fte), Utrecht University, Netherlands, about 11 hours ago
3 PhD positions 'Cities of Refuge' (1.0 FTE) Functie We are looking for three excellent PhD researchers for a socio-legal project on local governments and the human rights of refugees in Europe. T...
Ph D Scholarship With A Specialization In Green National Accounting At The Department Of Economics, University Of Copenhagen (Ucph), University of Copenhagen, Denmark, about 19 hours ago
The research project “Developing the Green REFORM model” directed by Professor Peter Birch Sørensen is offering one PhD scholarship funded by the Carlsberg Foundation. The scholarship is offered f...
Doctorate Scholarship, Cloud Computing, Unitech Institute of Technology, New Zealand, about 9 hours ago
Unitec is embarking on a major transformation programme to ensure we prosper in a new global operating environment - one that is continuously evolving due to technological developments, new ways o...
Postgraduate Scholarship In Contaminant Hydrology, University of Sydney, Australia, about 23 hours ago
Funding Body: School of Civil Engineering Title: Postgraduate Scholarship in Contaminant Hydrology Research Areas: Sciences & Engineering Type Postgraduate Research Description: The proposed proje...
Ph D Position In Nano Biophotonics For Light Robotics, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, about 15 hours ago
Apply no later than 15 June 2017 Apply for the job at DTU Fotonik by completing the following form. Apply online Center for Biopharmaceuticals and Biobarriers in Drug Delivery Novo Nordisk Foundat...
Ph D Scholarship In Developing Integrated Solutions In Nordic Manufacturing, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, about 16 hours ago
Apply no later than 1 June 2017 Apply for the job at DTU Management Engineering by completing the following form. Apply online DTU Management Engineering invites applicants for a 3-year PhD positi...