The Centre for Forensic Science (CFS) at UTS, a formal University Research Strength, has an excellent national and international reputation CFS has a strong ethos of fostering collaboration: it was established as a multidisciplinary centre and has developed sustained relationships with multiple law enforcement agencies. It hosts a vibrant and world-leading research group in fingerprint detection, and has very good connections with fingerprint researcher teams all around the world.
Project Description: Recent research identified significant challenges in quality assurance with respect to fingerprints. This project focusses on the implementation of a modified inkjet printer to produce artificial latent fingermarks. Obtaining fingermarks with a controlled composition would not only improve research efficiency and allow for fundamental researches, but would also impact practitioners. Specifically designed test strips could indeed be used to verify and document the efficiency fingermark detection techniques. Artificial fingermarks could also be used for education, training and proficiency testing. The project outcomes will significantly contribute to address current challenges in the fingerprint discipline through improved training, research and quality assurance.
Value and duration
The successful candidate will be awarded $26,682 per annum (2017) over three (3) years.
Please note, all scholarships at UTS are dependent upon satisfactory progress.
Who is eligible?
- Have completed a Bachelor Degree with First Class Honours or Second Class Honours (Division 1), or be regarded by the University as having an equivalent level of attainment; and
- Be undertaking a higher degree by research at UTS in the year of the scholarship; and
- Be enrolled as a full-time student.
- Their degree in chemistry or forensic science, or in a field relevant to the project, and/or have research experience (including research publications) in a field such as analytical chemistry or forensic science.
- Demonstrated excellent academic performance.
- Ability to work under minimum supervision.
- Experience with and a thorough understanding of latent fingermark detection. Experience working with industry and/or government agencies.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively in a team.
- Ability to translate research results into published research outcomes.
- Excellent time management skills to reach research deadlines.
- Overseas applications are welcomed (with current IELTS assessments), but the successful applicant must commence their studies no later than 31 August 2017 (visa approved).
Applications for this Scholarship are currently closed.
Instructions on how to apply will be available here during the application period.
Opening date: 15 February 2017
Closing date: 24 March 2017
For further information contact
Postdoctoral Research Fellow
School of Mathematical and Physical Sciences
Ph D Position (Tvl E13, 75%) In Printable, Flexible And Stretchable Artificial Electronic Skin For Robots, Prostheses And Monitoring At Technical University Of Munich And The University Of Tokyo, Japan, Technische Universität München, Germany, 1 day ago
11.07.2017, Wissenschaftliches Personal The project aims at linking the activities and infrastructures on modularized artificial electrical skin developed at the TUM Chair for Cognitive Systems wi...
Ph D Scholarship In Integrating Micro And Nano Structures On Steel Surfaces – Process Chain Implementation And Validation, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, 2 days ago
Apply no later than 1 August 2017 Apply for the job at DTU Mechanical Eng by completing the following form. Apply online DTU, Department of Mechanical Engineering has an open PhD position in the f...
Ph D Candidate In Assyriology, Leiden University, Netherlands, 3 days ago
Faculty of Humanities, Leiden Institute for Area Studies is looking for a PhD candidate in Assyriology (2 positions, 1.0 fte) Vacancy number 17-269 The candidates will carry out research on the hi...
Ph D Scholarship In Automatic Decomposition Of Mixed Integer Linear Problems, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, 16 days ago
Apply no later than 10 July 2017 Apply for the job at DTU Management Engineering by completing the following form. Apply online A 3-year PhD position in Operations Research is vacant at DTU Manage...
Ph D Candidate In English Linguistics, With A Special Focus On Phonology, Leiden University, Netherlands, 3 days ago
Faculty of Humanities, Leiden University Centre for Linguistics has a vacancy for a PhD candidate in English Linguistics, with a special focus on phonology (1.0fte) Vacancy number 17-277 The proje...
Ph D Scholarship(S) Within Algorithms, University of Copenhagen, Denmark, 1 day ago
The Department of Computer Science at University of Copenhagen (DIKU), Denmark, seeks applications for PhD scholarship(s) within algorithms. The Algorithms Group at DIKU is headed by Professors Mi...