The Centre for Forensic Science (CFS) at UTS, a formal University Research Strength, has an excellent national and international reputation CFS has a strong ethos of fostering collaboration: it was established as a multidisciplinary centre and has developed sustained relationships with multiple law enforcement agencies. It hosts a vibrant and world-leading research group in fingerprint detection, and has very good connections with fingerprint researcher teams all around the world.
Project Description: Recent research identified significant challenges in quality assurance with respect to fingerprints. This project focusses on the implementation of a modified inkjet printer to produce artificial latent fingermarks. Obtaining fingermarks with a controlled composition would not only improve research efficiency and allow for fundamental researches, but would also impact practitioners. Specifically designed test strips could indeed be used to verify and document the efficiency fingermark detection techniques. Artificial fingermarks could also be used for education, training and proficiency testing. The project outcomes will significantly contribute to address current challenges in the fingerprint discipline through improved training, research and quality assurance.
Value and duration
The successful candidate will be awarded $26,682 per annum (2017) over three (3) years.
Please note, all scholarships at UTS are dependent upon satisfactory progress.
Who is eligible?
- Have completed a Bachelor Degree with First Class Honours or Second Class Honours (Division 1), or be regarded by the University as having an equivalent level of attainment; and
- Be undertaking a higher degree by research at UTS in the year of the scholarship; and
- Be enrolled as a full-time student.
- Their degree in chemistry or forensic science, or in a field relevant to the project, and/or have research experience (including research publications) in a field such as analytical chemistry or forensic science.
- Demonstrated excellent academic performance.
- Ability to work under minimum supervision.
- Experience with and a thorough understanding of latent fingermark detection. Experience working with industry and/or government agencies.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively in a team.
- Ability to translate research results into published research outcomes.
- Excellent time management skills to reach research deadlines.
- Overseas applications are welcomed (with current IELTS assessments), but the successful applicant must commence their studies no later than 31 August 2017 (visa approved).
How to apply
Opening date: 15 February 2017
Closing date: 24 March 2017
For further information contact
Postdoctoral Research Fellow
School of Mathematical and Physical Sciences
Ph D Positions Computational Geometry For Content Generation (1,0 Fte), Utrecht University, Netherlands, about 3 hours ago
PhD positions Computational Geometry for Content Generation (1,0 fte) Functie Geometric content is needed in many applications of ICT research: emergency response simulations need realistic worlds...
Ph D Student With Kid Grant In Hiv 1 Persistence And Dynamics In The Latent Reservoir, Karolinska Institutet, Sweden, 8 days ago
The Department of Laboratory Medicine consists of 9 divisions and is active in many areas of Laboratory Medicine. The department is involved in advanced basic scientific, clinical and epidemiologi...
Ph D Scholarship In Capelin Migration And Stock Mixing Using Otolith Microchemistry, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, about 7 hours ago
Apply no later than 4 April 2017 Apply for the job at DTU Aqua by completing the following form. Apply online A PhD Scholarship in capelin stock dynamics is available at the National Institute of ...
2 Ph D Positions In The Research Project "Fair Limits: A Philosophical Analysis Of Limits On The Distribution Of Economic And Ecological Resources" (Each Position 1.0 Fte), Utrecht University, Netherlands, 4 days ago
2 PhD positions in the research project "FAIR LIMITS: A philosophical analysis of limits on the distribution of economic and ecological resources" (each position 1.0 FTE) Functie Fair Limits is a ...
Ph D Position 'food For Thought In Copd' (1.0 Fte), Utrecht University, Netherlands, about 3 hours ago
PhD position 'Food for thought in COPD' (1.0 FTE) Functie The consortium of the research program entitled “Food for thought and active life style in COPD” funded by TKI-Longfonds combines preclini...
Ph D Position ‘Artificial Organelles Based On Polymersome Nanoreactors’ (M/V), Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands, about 10 hours ago
Departments Department of Chemical Engineering and Chemistry, Department of Biomedical Engineering Reference number V37.2868 Job description Our ambition is to create hybrid cells and organelles t...