The Centre for Forensic Science (CFS) at UTS, a formal University Research Strength, has an excellent national and international reputation CFS has a strong ethos of fostering collaboration: it was established as a multidisciplinary centre and has developed sustained relationships with multiple law enforcement agencies. It hosts a vibrant and world-leading research group in fingerprint detection, and has very good connections with fingerprint researcher teams all around the world.
Project Description: Recent research identified significant challenges in quality assurance with respect to fingerprints. This project focusses on the implementation of a modified inkjet printer to produce artificial latent fingermarks. Obtaining fingermarks with a controlled composition would not only improve research efficiency and allow for fundamental researches, but would also impact practitioners. Specifically designed test strips could indeed be used to verify and document the efficiency fingermark detection techniques. Artificial fingermarks could also be used for education, training and proficiency testing. The project outcomes will significantly contribute to address current challenges in the fingerprint discipline through improved training, research and quality assurance.
Value and duration
The successful candidate will be awarded $26,682 per annum (2017) over three (3) years.
Please note, all scholarships at UTS are dependent upon satisfactory progress.
Who is eligible?
- Have completed a Bachelor Degree with First Class Honours or Second Class Honours (Division 1), or be regarded by the University as having an equivalent level of attainment; and
- Be undertaking a higher degree by research at UTS in the year of the scholarship; and
- Be enrolled as a full-time student.
- Their degree in chemistry or forensic science, or in a field relevant to the project, and/or have research experience (including research publications) in a field such as analytical chemistry or forensic science.
- Demonstrated excellent academic performance.
- Ability to work under minimum supervision.
- Experience with and a thorough understanding of latent fingermark detection. Experience working with industry and/or government agencies.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively in a team.
- Ability to translate research results into published research outcomes.
- Excellent time management skills to reach research deadlines.
- Overseas applications are welcomed (with current IELTS assessments), but the successful applicant must commence their studies no later than 31 August 2017 (visa approved).
Applications for this Scholarship are currently closed.
Instructions on how to apply will be available here during the application period.
Opening date: 15 February 2017
Closing date: 24 March 2017
For further information contact
Postdoctoral Research Fellow
School of Mathematical and Physical Sciences
Ph D Candidate In Metabolomic Biomarkers For Bacterial Infections To Combat Antibiotic Resistance, Leiden University, Netherlands, about 18 hours ago
The Faculty of Science and the Leiden Academic Centre for Drug Research (LACDR) are looking for a PhD candidate in Metabolomic biomarkers for bacterial infections to combat antibiotic resistance V...
Ph D Position / Epigenetics, Tum School Of Medicine, Tum Garching, Technische Universität München, Germany, about 20 hours ago
28.03.2017, Wissenschaftliches Personal Job Description: The laboratory of Epigenetics of Aging at TUM seeks to recruit a qualified candidate with a deep commitment to basic research (TVL-E13/2) f...
Ph D Position Theoretical Computer Science/Discrete Mathematics (1.0 Fte), Utrecht University, Netherlands, 1 day ago
PhD position Theoretical Computer Science/Discrete Mathematics (1.0 FTE) Functie The successful candidate will study relevant problems at the interface of theoretical computer science and discrete...
Ph D Candidate On "Fusion Of Social Media Text Messages And Remote Sensing Satellite Data", Technische Universität München, Germany, about 20 hours ago
19.04.2017, Wissenschaftliches Personal Open PhD Candidate position on the topic "Fusion of Social Media Text Messages and Remote Sensing Satellite Data", in the framework of the ERC project "So2S...
3 Ph D Positions In Cryo Electron Tomography Image Processing (0.8 – 1.0 Fte), Utrecht University, Netherlands, 1 day ago
3 PhD positions in Cryo-Electron Tomography Image Processing (0.8 – 1.0 FTE) Functie We seek to fill 4 years (1.0 FTE) or 5 years (0.8 FTE) PhD positions on image processing of cryo-electron tomog...
Design Innovation Nhmrc Cre Actions Ph D Scholarship, University of Sydney, Australia, about 11 hours ago
Funding Body: University of Sydney Title: DESIGN INNOVATION - NHMRC CRE ACTIONS PhD Scholarship Research Areas: Humanities & Social Sciences Type Postgraduate Research Description: We seek a suita...