- Job ID
- Job Location
- Job Location
- United States
- Alternate locations
- Information Technology/Software
More information about this job:
Established in 1946, with headquarters in Washington, D.C., American Institutes for Research (AIR) is an independent, nonpartisan, not-for-profit organization that conducts behavioral and social science research and delivers technical assistance both domestically and internationally. As one of the largest behavioral and social science research organizations in the world, AIR is committed to empowering communities and institutions with innovative solutions to the most critical challenges in education, health, workforce, and international development.
AIR’s Information Technology (IT) organization provides technology services for clients both inside and external to AIR. IT maintains three professional-grade data and hosting centers that are supported by a team of engineers monitoring the continuous operations of the network, including servers, security, and applications. Internally, IT provides a wide variety of services that include electronic mail, collaboration, networking, business-specific data base applications, and technical support for applications and web-site developers. Externally, IT delivers web hosting services with rigorous security requirements that satisfy industry standards. AIR is currently looking for a Systems/Network Engineer for its Washington, DC office.
• Provide day to day operational support of web hosting activities and work on a variety of projects designed to improve the Web Hosting Infrastructure for AIR.
• Maintain a highly virtualized Enterprise environment providing IT Service Operations Team support with new system builds, configuration for new hosting applications, maintenance and patching of systems.
• Follow VMware best-practices management and maintenance procedures to provide maximum uptime of the virtualized systems and applications.
• Monitors servers and applications to ensure high availability, usability and security.
• Provides server and network administration and other related support, including maintenance and operation of a diverse array of Windows (2008+) and Linux servers.
• Follow security best practices that will assist in maintaining a stable and highly secure IT environment.
• Develops and maintains a working knowledge on a wide range of Enterprise applications and systems to include Active Directory, IIS, SQL, SharePoint, Exchange, and Skype for Business in clustered and non-clustered configurations.
• Work directly and effectively with other teams in troubleshooting problems and finding solutions.
• Utilize FootPrints ticket queue to address all server and application issues in a timely manner, recording solutions, and escalating tickets as required.
• Participates in the pager rotation, ensuring uptime of critical servers, networks, and applications.
• Develop and maintain standard operating procedures and other technical documentation for operational tasks.
• Manage complex problems through to a successful conclusion.
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related discipline and 5+ years of relevant experience in the IT industry, or a Master’s degree with 3 years of relevant experience.
• At least one or more certifications in any of these areas will be required: A+, Network+, MDBA, MCTS on MS-SQL, MCITP, MCP, and MCSA.
• Experience with virtualization technologies such as VMware vSphere
• Experience with Microsoft SQL, including installation, administration, configuration, troubleshooting, backup and restoration.
• Solid knowledge of Windows Operating System 2008+ servers and/or Linux servers (Red Hat, Suse), and application systems including concepts, issues, practices, methodologies, and trends relevant to network design and administration.
• Ability to understand and analyze complex issues and information relating to database management.
• Excellent documentation and communication skills, a proactive and detail-oriented approach, a strong team-oriented attitude, and the ability to establish work priorities are required.
• Passion for the craft with a demonstrated ability to learn and understand the technology both at a high level and at a detailed level.
Additional Qualifications:(not required)
• Experience with storage arrays and storage area networks (SAN) such as Network Appliance (NetApp) is a plus.
• Demonstrated proficiency with networks and protocols: TCP/IP, ports, application monitoring tools, security techniques and applications, and firewalls.
• Experience with AWS or other Cloud-based Hosting Environments.
• Cloud-based back-up and disaster recovery.
Apply for this job onlineApply
Refer this job to a friendRefer
Share on your newsfeed
Please note, each section of the application is required in order for you to be considered for this opportunity. If you do not complete the required screening questions, or if you close your browser before completing each section of the application, your application will not be submitted for this position.
American Institutes for Research is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Go back to the welcome page
Job: Atsu Network Administrator, A.T. Still University, United States, about 23 hours ago
Job Description The A.T. Still University of Health Sciences is seeking applicants for a Network Administrator in the Network Technologies department. This position will be on the Kirksville, MO ...
Network Support Engineer I, Georgia Institute of Technology, United States, 22 days ago
Network Support Engineer I( Job Number: 0174856) Description Job Purpose: Under direct supervision of the Network Support Management staff, serve on a technical team involved in the installation, ...
Senior Network Engineer, William and Mary, United States, about 7 hours ago
The Senior Network Engineer position oversees the university’s Voice-over-IP (VoIP) integrated communications system, leads the deployment of new telephony initiatives, and provides guidance with ...
Application Developer, University of Alberta, Canada, 14 days ago
Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry - MEDIT Competition No. - S104632733 Posting Date - May 08, 2017 Closing Date - May 15, 2017 Hourly Rate - $32.24 - $44.62 Grade - 10 Hours -...
Reimbursement Manager, City of Hope, United States, about 7 hours ago
Requisition ID: 9965 Job Title: Reimbursement Manager Position Summary: The Revenue Accounting and Reimbursement Manager plans, directs and oversees all activities of revenue accounting and reimbu...
Lower & Middle School Principal – K 12 Ib School Of Jewish Faith In Mexico City, Its Academic, Mexico, about 4 hours ago
Posting Date: May 23 2017 Continent: North America Country: Mexico City: Mexico Job Type : Management / Administration Organization Type: K-12 School Estimated Start Date: Aug 15 2017 Contract Typ...