The Research Program Coordinator will be responsible for the overall day to day coordination and facilitation of research activities for The Center for Bariatric Surgery Research and Innovation. The majority of our studies are translational as we discover the mechanisms of obesity including the gut-brain axis (gut hormones, neuroimaging and taste changes), genetics of obesity, nutrition and the microbiome.
Under the direct supervision of the Principal Investigator, the research coordinator will be responsible for a thorough understanding of the research purpose, timeline, tasks, and reporting requirements. They will be responsible for creating and monitoring study timelines, drafting progress reports, data collection protocols and data collection instruments, maintaining IRB protocols including the writing, preparing, and submitting new applications, amendments, and associated documents, maintaining paper and electronic copies of IRB documents in accordance with the study protocol, coordinating logistics of implementing data collection, and supervision of multiple research studies.
They will also be responsible for maintaining a computerized study tracking system, tracking participant status and completion rates; generating weekly reports of study activities, and providing statistical summaries of response rates.
The primary duties and responsibilities of the job:
• Study participant screening and recruitment (clinic and phone contact);
• Consenting of research participants
• Questionnaire data collection
• Entry and cleaning of data
• Biospecimen collection (blood and human tissue samples from the Operating Room)
• Medical record/ pathology report retrieval and abstraction
• Development of recruitment materials, SOPs/procedures; study charts
• Preparation of IRB submissions and reports
• Study mailings
• Participation in study meetings to report study progress & resolve issues;
• Preparation of periodic study reports;
• Performance of other research related activities as needed.
The Research Coordinator will collect study data by recruiting and coordinating activities of study participants, and perform more complex study-dictated activities requiring independent action. The Research Coordinator will assist the Principal Investigator in participant recruitment, informed consent, data collection and documentation for research studies involving surgical patients, will work in a research team environment, will generally work independently, and may take part in manuscript writing and authorship. Knowledge of Matlab and neuroimaging techniques a real plus!