Research Associate I, Entomology and Plant Pathology - 16000001N7
Research Associate I, Department of Entomology and Plant Pathology
The Department of Entomology and Plant Pathology, University of Tennessee Institute of Agriculture is seeking a web and mobile app developer. The applicant will participate in an NSF-funded project to expand a mobile-based application and a web-based database for genetic and genomic data. The project requires expansion of a mobile app to utilize GPS data and a map interface. This will also be integrated with a website built in the Drupal content management system. The new development will build on the existing set of open source modules in the Tripal project (http://tripal.info, http://github.com/tripal). The position will encompass activities such as writing java and PHP code, implementing map interfaces within a mobile app and website, integrating data from various backend services, and designing the user interface systems for scientists to view, download, search and manipulate data. Exploration of new web technologies, especially in the realm of data visualization, cloud services, and user interfaces, is encouraged. The job will require teamwork with biologists and computer scientists as well as the ability to work independently. The successful applicant will be exposed to interdisciplinary, cutting edge research in the field of web development and bioinformatics and will have the opportunity to expand their skill set and grow with this exciting field of science. Travel to scientific and internet technology conferences will be supported to stay current with new technologies.
• Expand an existing mobile app to allow users to tag new biological specimens with GPS coordinates and to view all tagged specimens in a map interface using a mapping platform such as Google Maps API
• Build a new Tripal module to load data from the mobile app and display it through a central website
• Work with biologists to expand current database capabilities to allow upload, searching and visualization of data sets
• Collaborate and coordinate development with the international open source Tripal community of developers
• Contribute to systems administration and maintenance
• BS in bioinformatics, computer science and/or the life sciences or equivalent experience. Proficient in a Linux operating system environment with minimal systems support. Professional experience may be substituted for degree on a year to year basis.
• Demonstrated experience writing code in at least one programming language (php, python, java, perl)
• Familiarity with web programming within content management systems, particularly development of Drupal code modules
• Experience with a database platform such as MySQL or PostgreSQL.
• Excellent communication and problem-solving skills.
• Ability to interact with scientists from diverse disciplines and backgrounds.
• Ability to work independently and to prioritize and manage a variety of tasks.
• For applicants with a BS degree, an MS degree from the University of Tennessee may be pursued while employed in this position. For applicants with a MS degree, a PhD from the University of Tennessee may be pursued while employed in this position.
Regular full time position with benefits.
Pay Range: $48-50k based on qualifications and experience
Location: The University of Tennessee, Knoxville Institute of Agriculture, AgResearch
Required documents to apply: CV, transcripts, 2 professional references (upload as one PDF or DOC file)
Entomology & Plant Path - Res
Campus/Institute Institute of Agriculture
Nov 30, 2016, 10:43:06 AM
Nurse Specialist Interventional Radiology , University of Tennessee Medical Center at Knoxville, United States, 1 day ago
Job Title: Nurse Specialist - Interventional Radiology Department: Interventional Radiology Full/Part Time: Full Req Number: UHS-17195 Job Description: The Nurse Specialist is responsible for ...
Pharmacist , University of Tennessee Medical Center at Knoxville, United States, 2 days ago
Job Title: Pharmacist Department: Cancer Center Knox Pharmacy Full/Part Time: Full Req Number: UHS-16940 Job Description: Provides quality patient-oriented pharmaceutical care which includes p...
Student Teacher Supervision Special Education College Of Education, Grand Canyon University, United States, about 6 hours ago
Job Description Only candidates who submit a resume and complete the full application will be considered - anyone without a resume will be declined automatically. For assistance with your job appl...
Patient Flow Coordinator/Driver , University of Tennessee Medical Center at Knoxville, United States, 2 days ago
Job Title: Patient Flow Coordinator/Driver Department: Breast Center Full/Part Time: Part Req Number: UHS-17037 Job Description: This Patient Flow Coordinator, Driver operates and maintains th...
Nursing Asst , University of Tennessee Medical Center at Knoxville, United States, 2 days ago
Job Title: Nursing Asst Department: Clinical Observation Unit 4EP Full/Part Time: Part Req Number: UHS-16924 Job Description: Provides emergency medical care to the sick or injured under the d...
Director Of Radiololgy , University of Tennessee Medical Center at Knoxville, United States, 10 minutes ago
Job Title: Director of Radiololgy Department: Radiology Admin & Support Full/Part Time: Full Req Number: UHS-17147 Job Description: Provides oversight to the Department Managers regarding Radi...