As a member of the HMX team in the Office for Online Learning, the Principal Software Engineer will have an opportunity to make a difference in shaping an innovative educational experience. This role oversees the technical aspects of the delivery of HMX's innovative, high-quality online educational modules (see onlinelearning.hms.harvard.edu/hmx).
The Principal Software Engineer is responsible for the development and delivery of the HMX online learning experience, overseeing all aspects of HMX's Open edX online education platform to ensure that the project plan, schedules, feature set and quality standards are met. Reporting to the Faculty Director of HMX, the Principal Software Engineer will write platform code and work closely with the curriculum development and media leads and with external technology vendors.
As a member of a small team in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment, the ideal candidate should feel comfortable both coding and working closely with tech-savvy, forward-thinking colleagues to conceptualize, find, develop, and deliver optimal technology solutions to support learning. Curiosity, creativity, and initiative are a must, along with a desire to develop superior educational products and services that effectively contribute to online learning and engagement. Strong Python experience is a requirement; experience with the Open edX platform is a plus.
Applicants should include links to their code at GitHub or another repository hosting service, as well as a cover letter describing why this position interests them and how it fits their experience and interests.
As Principal Software Engineer, you will be responsible for:
- Leading all aspects of development on an Open edX based learning platform
- Contributing as a hands-on developer, including leading the writing of software in support of all platform components
- Serving as the main point of contact for external contractors
- Working with HMS Online Learning leadership to define product features and roadmap for courses
- Working closely with the content/pedagogy and media teams to enable creation and delivery of world-class course content, as well as back-end workflow
- Maintaining HMX platform configuration, security, data backup, code and documentation in an effective and timely fashion
- Installing, configuring and maintaining systems/stacks in support of HMX development projects, primarily on AWS
- Working across the project team to identify options and opportunities for leveraging of third party applications and services, when required
- Collaborating with the operations, content, and media teams to respond to user feedback and prioritize new feature requests
- Developing new interactive educational tools, for example for Xblocks implementing innovative assessment types for the Open edX platform, including managing the associated technology and platform requirements
- Designing and building or adapting technology workflows and solutions for collecting data from the online platform and performing data analysis
- Overseeing design and development of dashboard/visualizations for learning analytics
- Overseeing a small internal team as well as contractors
Salary Grade: 059
Union: 00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
Software Engineer, MIT, United States, about 8 hours ago
Job Description SOFTWARE ENGINEER, edX (two openings), to join the edX Educator team. Will collaborate with the Product, UX, and Doc teams to deliver products and services that enable pedagogical...
Dev Ops Engineer , Massachusetts Institute of Technology, United States, about 9 hours ago
Job Description DEVOPS ENGINEER, edX, to help develop and maintain the infrastructure in AWS for all services and systems required to run the edX website. The DevOps team primarily focuses on the ...
Software Engineer Growth Team, MIT, United States, about 8 hours ago
Job Description SOFTWARE ENGINEER-GROWTH TEAM, edX (two openings), to join an MIT startup company working toward the mission of further education. The Learner:Growth team is focused on enhancing ...
Research Associate, MIT, United States, about 8 hours ago
Job Description RESEARCH ASSOCIATE, Comparative Media Studies/Writing-MIT Scheller Teacher Education Program (STEP) , to join a leader in integrating computational modeling and simulations of comp...
Project Coordinator, MIT, United States, about 8 hours ago
Job Description PROJECT COORDINATOR, edX, to join the educational services team. Will be responsible for many operational, project management, and administrative tasks related to launching and ma...
Designer, Marketing & Communications, Interactive Design, Boston University, United States, about 9 hours ago
DESIGNER, Marketing & Communications, Interactive Design Tracking Code 4904/H0817 Job Description Join our award-winning creative team. You'll help design and produce highly visible, high-priority...