As a member of the HMX team in the Office for Online Learning, the Principal Software Engineer will have an opportunity to make a difference in shaping an innovative educational experience. This role oversees the technical aspects of the delivery of HMX's innovative, high-quality online educational modules (see onlinelearning.hms.harvard.edu/hmx).
The Principal Software Engineer is responsible for the development and delivery of the HMX online learning experience, overseeing all aspects of HMX's Open edX online education platform to ensure that the project plan, schedules, feature set and quality standards are met. Reporting to the Faculty Director of HMX, the Principal Software Engineer will write platform code and work closely with the curriculum development and media leads and with external technology vendors.
As a member of a small team in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment, the ideal candidate should feel comfortable both coding and working closely with tech-savvy, forward-thinking colleagues to conceptualize, find, develop, and deliver optimal technology solutions to support learning. Curiosity, creativity, and initiative are a must, along with a desire to develop superior educational products and services that effectively contribute to online learning and engagement. Strong Python experience is a requirement; experience with the Open edX platform is a plus.
Applicants should include links to their code at GitHub or another repository hosting service, as well as a cover letter describing why this position interests them and how it fits their experience and interests.
As Principal Software Engineer, you will be responsible for:
- Leading all aspects of development on an Open edX based learning platform
- Contributing as a hands-on developer, including leading the writing of software in support of all platform components
- Serving as the main point of contact for external contractors
- Working with HMS Online Learning leadership to define product features and roadmap for courses
- Working closely with the content/pedagogy and media teams to enable creation and delivery of world-class course content, as well as back-end workflow
- Maintaining HMX platform configuration, security, data backup, code and documentation in an effective and timely fashion
- Installing, configuring and maintaining systems/stacks in support of HMX development projects, primarily on AWS
- Working across the project team to identify options and opportunities for leveraging of third party applications and services, when required
- Collaborating with the operations, content, and media teams to respond to user feedback and prioritize new feature requests
- Developing new interactive educational tools, for example for Xblocks implementing innovative assessment types for the Open edX platform, including managing the associated technology and platform requirements
- Designing and building or adapting technology workflows and solutions for collecting data from the online platform and performing data analysis
- Overseeing design and development of dashboard/visualizations for learning analytics
- Overseeing a small internal team as well as contractors
Salary Grade: 059
Union: 00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
Principal Software Engineer, Harvard University, United States, 3 days ago
Auto req ID 42851BR Business Title Principal Software Engineer School/Unit Harvard Medical School Sub-Unit ------------ Location USA - MA - Boston Job Function Information Technology Time St...
Medical And Scientific Animator/Illustrator, Harvard University, United States, 3 days ago
Auto req ID 42939BR Business Title Medical and Scientific Animator/Illustrator School/Unit Harvard Medical School Sub-Unit ------------ Location USA - MA - Boston Job Function Arts Faculty & ...
Interactive Web Developer, Harvard University, United States, 3 days ago
Auto req ID 42871BR Business Title Interactive Web Developer School/Unit Harvard Medical School Sub-Unit ------------ Location USA - MA - Boston Job Function Information Technology Time Stat...
Electrical Engineer For Active Learning, Harvard University, United States, 3 days ago
Auto req ID 42779BR Business Title Electrical Engineer for Active Learning School/Unit Harvard John A. Paulson School of Engineering and Applied Sciences Sub-Unit ------------ Location USA - ...
Dev Ops Engineer, Harvard University, United States, 3 days ago
Auto req ID 42698BR Business Title DevOps Engineer School/Unit Harvard University Information Technology Sub-Unit ------------ Location USA - MA - Cambridge Job Function Information Technolo...
Senior Technical Product Owner, Harvard University, United States, 4 days ago
Auto req ID 42921BR Business Title Senior Technical Product Owner School/Unit Harvard University Information Technology Sub-Unit ------------ Location USA - MA - Cambridge Job Function Infor...