|Principal Accountant, Financial Reporting|
|5970 General Accountant V|
|Mission Center Building|
|Accounting and Reporting / Controller’s organization|
|Monday - Friday, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm|
| JOB OVERVIEW|
The Financial Reporting Principal Accountant is a key position providing data, business and systems analysis, design, implementation, and support of financial reporting solutions. Having wide-ranging accounting-related experience, the individual uses expert accounting concepts and standards and organization objectives to resolve complex accounting issues and assignments where analysis of data requires an in-depth evaluation of variable factors and multiple sources of accounting and finance related information. The individual exercises professional judgment in selecting methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results and must work independently to determine methods and procedures on new assignments. Additionally, the Principal Accountant interacts with both internal and external customers, often pertaining to accounting and financial reporting matters of significance to the department and the organization. Is considered a subject matter expert and often recognized as an expert externally in the industry. The position contributes heavily to all functional aspects of reporting solutions.
Highlights of this position include:
• Lead role in preparing UCSF’s monthly, quarterly and annual statements, and departmental monthly, quarterly and annual report / statements. Works with Controller’s Office and campus offices in performing complex assessments to analyze, interpret and document trends and variances timely, ensuring thorough, accurate, and appropriate financial reconciliation and variance analysis
• Partners closely with the Information Technology Services (ITS) group to plan activities, track/manage progress, determine best course of action, coordinate work between teams, etc.
• Utilizes advanced level query and reporting skills to analyze financial data and compare results across various systems and financial reports
• Leads the development of appropriate user support mechanisms (communications, training, outreach, common questions answered). Assists stakeholders and systems owners in determining and documenting campus needs required to analyze, interpret and document trends and variances
• Applies knowledge of reporting requirements driven by laws, regulations, contracts, policies and practices
• Serves in a consultative role, conducting regular discussions with managers, business owners, analysts, and campus data users to advise on analysis and assessment of trends and variances, and ensuring thoroughness and accuracy of financial statements.
The Principal Accountant position requires deep financial data knowledge and ability to use advanced business analysis skills. The successful candidate will regularly work on highly complex issues where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of variable factors. He/she will exercise judgment in selecting methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
Also included in the scope of this position:
• Understanding of the applicability and implementation of Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) and Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) pronouncements, in addition to interpretation and proper implementation of UCSF accounting policies and procedures
• Monitoring the quality and integrity of general ledger data, including UCSF balance sheet accounts and all intercampus journal transactions to ensure local departments are responding to other campus’ transfers of revenue or expense
• Utilizing modern desktop software in the performance of their duties, such as PeopleSoft (General Ledger, Accounts Payable and Purchasing), nVision (PeopleSoft reporting tool), Microsoft (Excel and Word), other campus wide reporting tools, and various communications programs. This position provides training, interpretation of accounting policies and procedures, and assists in the implementation of new computerized accounting systems for both entities
• Instrumental in ensuring that the quality of internal controls are adequate and functioning as designed; collaborate and partner with campus academic and administrative staff to continually improve accounting processes and reporting.
The candidate should have a firm understanding of accounting systems in a large and complex environment.
CONTROLLER’S ORGANIZATION / ACCOUNTING AND REPORTING
The UCSF Controller’s organization delivers full accounting services and related systems for faculty, staff and students, UCSF Foundation, all University departments and any outside entities who have a business relationship with the University. Services provided include General Ledger, Capital and Cash Accounting, Payroll, Accounts Payable, Student Loan Billing and Collections, Sponsored Research Accounting, and Foundation Accounting. The office uses sophisticated technology to account and report on UCSF, a consolidated $5 billion organization.
The Accounting and Reporting unit is a major unit of the Controller’s office. The Accounting and Reporting unit is responsible for reconciliation, reporting and account analysis. Included in this responsibility are bank reconciliations, balance sheet account analysis, sundry debtor accounts receivable control, inter-campus transactions, analysis of trends using reports such as the income statement and 10 year plan, sales and use tax payments and reporting, and fiscal year-end closing activities. In addition, this section participates in the development, implementation, and training for new systems or processes, and provides customer support to the UCSF community who utilize our services and systems, including interpretation of UC policies, procedures, and acceptable accounting practices.
The University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) is a leading university dedicated to promoting health worldwide through advanced biomedical research, graduate-level education in the life sciences and health professions, and excellence in patient care. It is the only campus in the 10-campus UC system dedicated exclusively to the health sciences.
| • Bachelor's degree in Accounting or related area|
• At least five years of experience in an organization comparable to UCSF in terms of budget, size, complexity, and scope of operation is required to understand and answer the complex functional and technical questions associated with UC financial systems
• At least five years accounting experience, with at least two to three years audit experience
• Experienced in use of financial transactions and financial systems, as well as related policy, accounting and regulatory compliance requirements.
• Expert understanding and familiarity with GAAP, GASB, FASB, accounting law, professional systems and practices
• Demonstrated experience with preparing monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements and related presentations, and detailed variance analysis and an in-depth knowledge of associated accounting functions
• Demonstrated experience with improving business processes and accounting policies, to ensure efficient and effective internal controls, data integrity and compliance with internal and external policies and requirements
• Knowledge of large scale integrated client server/ERP financial systems (e.g., PeopleSoft Systems)
• Ability to gather, organize, analyze, and report on data that is complex in nature through development of advanced data queries utilizing financial systems and reporting software
• Demonstrated ability to analyze, interpret and document trends and variances timely (on an ad hoc, monthly, quarterly, and annual basis)
• Demonstrated ability to manage accounting operational areas, including ability to ensure thorough, accurate, and appropriate financial reconciliations and variance analyses
• Demonstrated success in a leadership role in a large diversified and complex finance focused environment, requiring motivating and managing a diverse group of people towards a common goal
• Demonstrated ability to communicate complex information in a clear, concise and effective manner, both written and verbal, with executive, senior management, faculty, staff, managers and technical staff. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
• Demonstrated ability to develop solutions that meet the needs of customers with diverse skill sets in a decentralized environment
• Ability to work well in a collegial environment
• Proven ability to deliver results in a dynamic environment with multiple stakeholders
Note: Fingerprinting and background check required. Effective March 13, 2017, all final candidate(s) for employment are required to undergo a background check.
|• Big Four public accounting experience|
|The University of California San Francisco is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.|
Asst. Dean Of Finance School Of Optometry (0547 U) #23410, University of California, United States, 16 minutes ago
Job Description Job Title: Asst. Dean of Finance - School of Optometry (0547U) #23410 Job ID: 23410 Location: Main Campus-Berkeley Full/Part Time: Full-Time Department School of Optometry Dean Reg...
Accounting Supervisor 2 (7598 U) #23364, University of California, United States, 1 day ago
Job Description Job Title: Accounting Supervisor 2 (7598U) #23364 Job ID: 23364 Location: Main Campus-Berkeley Full/Part Time: Full-Time Department General Accounting Regular/Temporary: Regular Ab...
Financial Planning And Budget Analyst (7710 U) #23374, University of California, United States, 1 day ago
Job Description Job Title: Financial Planning and Budget Analyst (7710U) #23374 Job ID: 23374 Location: Main Campus-Berkeley Department Chancellor's Immediate Office Regular/Temporary: Temporary A...
Bfs Senior Business Analyst (0657 U) #23438, University of California, United States, 19 minutes ago
Job Description Job Title: BFS Senior Business Analyst (0657U) #23438 Job ID: 23438 Location: Main Campus-Berkeley Full/Part Time: Full-Time Department Controllers Immediate Office Regular/Tempor...
Erso Executive Director (0549 U) #23312, University of California, United States, 1 day ago
Job Description Job Title: ERSO Executive Director (0549U) #23312 Job ID: 23312 Location: Main Campus-Berkeley Full/Part Time: Full-Time Department CSS Research Support Org Regular/Temporary: Regu...
Director Of Finance & Business Services (0212 U) #23409, University of California, United States, 16 minutes ago
Job Description Job Title: Director of Finance & Business Services (0212U) #23409 Job ID: 23409 Location: Main Campus-Berkeley Full/Part Time: Full-Time Department Law Regular/Temporary: Regular A...