A postdoctoral fellowship in the field of medicinal chemistry is immediately available to carry out structure-based drug design and hit-to-lead optimization on several promising hits against polo-like kinase 1 (Plk1). Plk1 is an attractive anti-cancer therapeutic target, whose upregulated activity is tightly associated with aggressiveness and poor prognosis for a wide spectrum of human cancers. We performed high throughput screening campaigns at the at the National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences (NCATS) (https://ncats.nih.gov/ ), and isolated a new class of several anti-Plk1 small molecule compounds, whose cocrystal structures have been determined lately. In an effort to discover novel Plk1-targeted anti-cancer therapeutic agents, we have developed an NCI's multifaceted collaboration project by bringing together various expertise, including medicinal chemistry optimization, X-ray crystallography, in silico modeling, pharmacokinetics/pharmacodynamics, and mouse tumorigenesis studies. Once appointed, the fellow will primarily work in the synthetic chemistry lab at NCATS under the direct guidance of Dr. David Maloney (https://ncats.nih.gov/staff/maloneyd ), the medicinal chemistry leader at NCATS, and Dr. Kyung Lee (https://ccr.cancer.gov/Laboratory-of-Metabolism/kyung-s-lee ) in the Laboratory of Metabolism, NCI, and will have an opportunity to interact with other collaboration teams involved in this interdisciplinary project.
Applicants should have (or expected to receive) a Ph.D. or its equivalent at the time of joining the lab or have achieved the degree less than 3 years ago. Fellows who have an expertise in medicinal chemistry optimization of small molecule inhibitors or X-ray crystallography are encouraged to apply. Salary starts at $51,900 with full health insurance for fellows with no prior postdoctoral training.
Please send CV and three names of references to Dr. Kyung Lee (firstname.lastname@example.org )
1) Yun, S. -M. et al., 2009. Structural and functional analyses of minimal phosphopeptides targeting the polo-box domain of polo-like kinase 1. Nat. Str. & Mol. Biol. 16:876.
2) Liu, F. et al., 2011. Serendipitous alkylation of a Plk1 ligand uncovers a new binding channel. Nat. Chem. Biol. 7:595.
3) Liu, F. et al., 2012. Identification of high affinity polo-like kinase 1 (Plk1) polo-box domain binding peptides using Oxime-based diversification. ACS Chem. Biol. 7:805.
4) Liu, F. et al., 2012. Peptoid-peptide hybrid ligands targeting the polo-box domain of polo-like kinase 1. Chembiochem. 13:1291.
5) Qian W. -J. et al., 2012. Non-proteinogenic amino acids in the pThr-2 position of a pentamer peptide that confer high binding affinity for the polo-box domain (PBD) of polo-like kinase 1 (Plk1). Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 22:7306.
6) Qian, W. -J. et al., 2013. Effects on Polo-like Kinase 1 Polo-box Domain Binding Affinities of Peptides Incurred by Structural Variation at the Phosphoamino Acid Position. Bioorg. & Med. Chem. 21: 3996.
7) Qian, W. -J. et al., 2014. Mono-anionic phosphopeptides produced by unexpected histidine alkylation exhibit high Plk1 polo-box domain-binding affinities and enhanced antiproliferative effects in HeLa cells. Biopolymers 102:444.
8) Qian, W. -J. et al., 2015. Neighbor-directed Histidine N(τ)-Alkylation: A Route to Imidazolium-containing Phosphopeptide Macrocycles. Biopolymers, 104:663
9) Lee, K. S. et al., 2015. Recent advances and new strategies in targeting Plk1 for anticancer therapy. Trends in Pharmacological Sciences. 36:858 (review).
This position is subject to a background investigation. The NIH is dedicated to building a diverse community in its training and employment programs.
Research Specialist Pharmacology (Job Id #81279), University of Illinois, United States, 2 days ago
Purification of lentiviruses, retroviruses and adenoviruses, dissecting function of Src family protein tyrosine kinases and tyrosine phosphatases Shp2 and VE-PTP in regulation of endothelial cell-...
Postdoctoral Researcher In Cancer/Immunology, Karolinska Institutet, Sweden, 26 days ago
The Department of Medicine, Solna, is one of the largest departments at Karolinska Institutet. The department consists of several units that are separated into different research groups. The core ...
Postdoc In Prediction Of T Cell Interactions, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, about 8 hours ago
Apply no later than 1 July 2017 Apply for the job at DTU Bioinformatics by completing the following form. Apply online The Department of Bio and Health Informatics at the Technical University of D...
Post Doktorand (M/W) Organische/Biologische Chemie, Technische Universität München, Germany, about 11 hours ago
14.06.2017, Wissenschaftliches Personal Am Lehrstuhl für Biologische Chemie der TU München ist ab 1. Oktober 2017 eine Postdoktorandenstelle im Rahmen interdisziplinärer Projekte in den Bereichen ...
Post Doctoral Associate, University of Massachusetts Medical School, United States, 6 days ago
We seek two talented and motivated postdocs to join the laboratory of Dr Christian Mueller in the Horae Gene Therapy Center at the University of Massachusetts Medical School. Our dynamic and colla...
Post Doctoral Associate, University of Massachusetts Medical School, United States, 1 day ago
GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT: A Postdoctoral/Instructor Level position is open in the Department of Neurology, University of Massachusetts Medical School. The candidate will be expected to ...