Berklee College of Music invites nominations and applications for a full-time faculty position in the String Department. The ideal candidate will demonstrate:
- Strong, continuing professional profile as an extraordinary violist.
- Substantial creative track record as a composer, improviser, arranger, recording artist, or collaborator in many musical genres.
- Established track record as an instrumental teacher and ensemble coach.
- Ability to teach the Berklee String Department curriculum and guide students through the minimum proficiency requirements .
- Strong personal, technological, and administrative skills to help support the mission of Berklee and the Berklee String Department
This is a nine-month, full-time, non-tenure-track position with initial appointment to begin September 1st , 2017. Ranking and compensation is commensurate with professional experience, competencies, and qualifications.
The String Department includes 19 faculty providing private lessons, ensemble coaching, and lab instruction to over 200 Berklee students. Departmental curriculum for strings and performance supports developing good technique, stylistic fluency, acute awareness of performance health, and a broad understanding of music fundamentals and their use in all styles of performance. Special focus is placed upon learning stylistic interpretation, improvisational skills, jazz harmony, sight-reading, and overall performance skills as applied to contemporary musical styles.
The ideal candidate will be an excellent musician, experienced educator and effective administrator, preferably with a background of successful employment in a collegiate setting. Thorough understanding of all contemporary musical styles and national recognition as a musician are essential.
- Teach applied strings in both individual private lessons and ensembles/labs in a wide variety of contemporary and traditional styles
- Advise students regarding their development, coursework (where relevant), time management, and assignments
- Contribute to curriculum development, course content, and review
- Involvement in auditions determining eligibility, juries, and final exams
- Support the String Department and College’s recruitment initiatives
- Serve on Department, Division, and/or College committees as assigned
- Contribute to String Department-sponsored special events
- Additional duties as assigned by the Department Chair
- A minimum of 5-years effective teaching experience and curriculum development at the college level preferred
- A record of significant professional performing experience and/or recordings
- Active experience of performing and continuing professional development
- Expertise and/or comprehensive knowledge of a wide variety of contemporary musical styles
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to excel within a team-oriented departmental culture
- Masters of Music (or equivalent professional experience) preferred
Electronic applications only. Please submit the following materials through Berklee’s career website, http://berkleegigs.silkroad.com, and address your materials to: String Faculty Search Committee, Attn: Dr. David Wallace, Chair, String Department, Berklee College of Music.
- Letter of Application
- A current resume or CV
- Names and contact information for at least three (3) references
- Links to websites or online resources with representative samples of your work
Incomplete applications will not be considered. This search will remain open for applications until the position is filled.
Berklee College of Music is committed to increasing the diversity of the College community and the curriculum. Candidates who can contribute to that goal are encouraged to apply and to identify their strengths in this area.
* Currently enrolled Berklee students may not apply for Staff or Faculty positions.
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Part Time Strings Instructor (Muap, Muen, Musi, Musp), Blinn College, United States, about 14 hours ago
Position Information Requisition Number 2017036F Position Title Part-Time Strings Instructor (MUAP, MUEN, MUSI, MUSP) Salary Range DOQ DBM Rating n/a Job Type Part Time Job Category Faculty Antici...
] Research Associate, , United States, about 12 hours ago
The Department of Physics at the University of Virginia invites applications for a post-doctoral Research Associate in Theoretical High Energy Physics, anticipated to begin September 2017. The gro...
] Visiting Assistant Professor Of Music, Stony Brook University, , United States, about 12 hours ago
STONY BROOK UNIVERSITY: Position in Music Theory The Stony Brook Department of Music seeks a Visiting Assistant Professor (on a non-tenure track) to serve as Undergraduate Program Director and tea...
] Tenure Track Faculty In High Energy Theory, , United States, about 12 hours ago
Zhejiang Institute of Modern Physics, Zhejiang University, CHINA is recruiting exceptional candidates as tenure-track faculty in theoretical high energy physics, particularly in the fields of part...
] Visiting Assistant Professor In Syntax, , United States, about 12 hours ago
Visiting Assistant Professor in Syntax The Department of Linguistics in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences at the University of Connecticut invites applications for a one-year Visiting Assis...
Collection Strategies Coordinator, University of Alberta, Canada, about 14 hours ago
The University of Alberta Libraries (UAL), with a long tradition of service excellence to the University and its communities, seeks a dynamic professional to lead our Collection Strategies Unit (C...