|Chief Technical Scientist|
|5993 Bioinformatics Programmer V|
|Institute for Computational Health Sciences|
| JOB OVERVIEW|
The Chief Technical Scientist involves developing and utilizing computational tools to analyze and interpret biological or other research data. Utilizes and develops algorithms, computational techniques, and statistical methodologies. Helps in the design of new experiments. Implements end-user needs in database searching and integration. Maintains the computational infrastructure and tracks the flow of samples and information for large-scale studies. Provides web-based bioinformatics and access to public and proprietary databases.
The Chief Technical Scientist functions as a highly specialized bioinformatics systems development professional with an expert understanding of computational algorithms to identify and resolve a wide range of highly complex issues where analysis of situations or data requirements have little or no precedent. Project scope is broad and may extend beyond the university. Is considered a subject matter expert of the organization and often recognized as an expert externally in the field.
The Chief Technical Scientist is able to lead a team of bioinformatics professionals. In more specific terms:
• Retrieve Information and gather insights from clinical and phenotypic data of several categories, structured, semistructured and unstructured data. This includes text, images, and “messy” alphanumeric data
• Build scalable general-purpose computational and inferential software tools to work with the data. Examples are tools for de-identification (including in text), “tall and wide” tabular statistical/mining tools, search, automated data cleaning
• Be a thought leader in improving medical taxonomies and semantic networks
• Move the field of Medical Data Science. Evangelize, mentor, teach workshops, presentations at major seminars/conferences/summits and do other communication mechanisms to effect change.
INSTITUTE FOR COMPUTATIONAL HEALTH SCIENCES
The Institute for Computational Health Sciences (ICHS) is a critical component of a global UCSF initiative in Precision Medicine, which seeks to aggregate and integrate vast, disparate datasets to advance understanding of biological processes, determine mechanisms of disease, and inform diagnosis and treatment of patients. Beginning with a base of excellent computational faculty dispersed among our four top-ranked professional schools (Dentistry, Medicine, Nursing and Pharmacy) and Graduate Division, superb research programs and outstanding Medical Center, ICHS will establish a central convening center, hire additional faculty, and build programs for research and education. ICHS will develop and enhance UCSF’s computational approaches and strategies in basic, translational, clinical and population-based biomedical research, working with partners in industry and academia where appropriate. It will be a campus hub for computer scientists and for researchers who employ computation as a primary tool in their biomedical research.
The University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) is a leading university dedicated to promoting health worldwide through advanced biomedical research, graduate-level education in the life sciences and health professions, and excellence in patient care. It is the only campus in the 10-campus UC system dedicated exclusively to the health sciences.
| • Doctoral degree or Masters in biological science, computational / programming, or related area and / or equivalent experience / training|
• Demonstrated application in the field of Health/Medicine data, at Very Large scale
• Expert knowledge of bioinformatics methods, applications programming, web development and data structures
• Ability to communicate technical information in a clear and concise manner
• Highly developed ability to interface with management on a regular basis
• Ability to collaborate with influence the world’s foremost data scientists
Note: Fingerprinting and background check required.
| • Expert knowledge of bioinformatics programming design, modification and implementation|
• Expert understanding of relational databases, web interfaces and operating systems
• Highly developed interpersonal skills in order to work with both technical and non-technical personnel at all levels internally and externally to the organization
|The University of California San Francisco is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.|
Student Services Advisor, Espm (4576 U) #23429, University of California, United States, about 24 hours ago
Job Description Job Title: Student Services Advisor, ESPM (4576U) #23429 Job ID: 23429 Location: Main Campus-Berkeley Full/Part Time: Full-Time Department Environ Sci, Policy & Mgmt Regular/Tempor...
Bfs Senior Business Analyst (0657 U) #23438, University of California, United States, about 24 hours ago
Job Description Job Title: BFS Senior Business Analyst (0657U) #23438 Job ID: 23438 Location: Main Campus-Berkeley Full/Part Time: Full-Time Department Controllers Immediate Office Regular/Tempor...
Financial And Budget Analysis Manager, L&S Deans' Office (0212 U) #23381, University of California, United States, about 23 hours ago
Job Description Job Title: Financial and Budget Analysis Manager, L&S Deans' Office (0212U) #23381 Job ID: 23381 Location: Main Campus-Berkeley Full/Part Time: Full-Time Department L&S Deans' Offi...
Network Analyst Career, Exempt (Its), The California State University, United States, about 4 hours ago
Campus: San Francisco Job ID: 6491 Job Title: Network Analyst - Career, Exempt - (ITS) Appointment Type: Probationary Time Base: Full-Time Date Posted: June 19, 2017 Closing Date: Open until fille...
Financial Services Analyst 2, Physics (4627 U) #23375, University of California, United States, about 23 hours ago
Job Description Job Title: Financial Services Analyst 2, Physics (4627U) #23375 Job ID: 23375 Location: Main Campus-Berkeley Full/Part Time: Part-Time Department Physics Regular/Temporary: Regular...
Asst. Dean Of Finance School Of Optometry (0547 U) #23410, University of California, United States, about 24 hours ago
Job Description Job Title: Asst. Dean of Finance - School of Optometry (0547U) #23410 Job ID: 23410 Location: Main Campus-Berkeley Full/Part Time: Full-Time Department School of Optometry Dean Reg...