Bioinformatics Research Associate I, Entomology and Plant Pathology - 16000001N6
The Department of Entomology and Plant Pathology with the University of Tennessee Institute of Agriculture in Knoxville, Tennessee is seeking to fill a bioinformatics research associate position that is focused on developing and implementing bioinformatics approaches for next generation sequencing (DNA and RNA) in agricultural species. We are seeking a dedicated bioinformatics research associate with computational experience. The successful applicant will have the opportunity to develop a strong foundation in informatics approaches to a number of different omics techniques and to lead or co-author scientific publications. This position will collaborate broadly with faculty across agricultural departments to incorporate bioinformatics and systems biology into their research. The successful candidate will analyze large-scale genomic data and participate in methodology development in areas including but not limited to whole genome resequencing, RNASeq differential gene expression, and genotyping by sequencing. The position will encompass activities such as leveraging high performance computational resources, writing software pipelines to process raw sequences, and writing reports on results and methodology. The successful applicant will be exposed to interdisciplinary, cutting edge research in the arena of bioinformatics and will have the opportunity to expand their skill set and grow with this exciting field of science.
• Analyze, manage, integrate and interpret genomic data sets
• Provide a variety of bioinformatic services including assembly and/or alignment of next generation sequencing data
• Develop and maintain analysis pipeline code used to compare and analyze data; design and perform custom analyses as required.
• Maintain thorough documentation of all tasks
• Continue education in genomics and bioinformatics in order to propose and implement new concepts and technical solutions.
• Contribute to the writing of scholarly publications by providing written methodology and results
• BS in bioinformatics, computer science and/or the life sciences or equivalent professional experience in lieu of degree on a year to year basis.
• 2-3 years of professional experience in a remote Linux operating system environment with minimal systems support and demonstrated experience in a scripting language such as Python or Perl
• Excellent communication and problem-solving skills
• Ability to interact with scientists from diverse disciplines and backgrounds.
• Ability to work independently, prioritize and manage a variety of tasks, and shift priorities rapidly.
• Work experience in the field of bioinformatics that has led to proficiency with genomic and transcriptomic next generation sequencing datasets
• Experience performing statistical analysis on large biological data sets using a language such as R.
• Experience with deploying and/or running software on high performance computational systems
• Experience writing software or building software pipelines
• Experience managing a github repository
SALARY: This is a full time regular exempt position pay grade 39, wages commensurate with training and experience.
Entomology & Plant Path - Res
Campus/Institute Institute of Agriculture
Nov 30, 2016, 10:53:58 AM
Staff Nurse , University of Tennessee Medical Center at Knoxville, United States, 28 days ago
Job Title: Staff Nurse Department: Recovery Room Full/Part Time: Full Req Number: UHS-16415 Job Description: The RN is responsible for delegating, coordinating, and managing all aspects of nur...
Staff Nurse , University of Tennessee Medical Center at Knoxville, United States, 27 days ago
Job Title: Staff Nurse Department: Renal Dialysis Full/Part Time: Full Req Number: UHS-16406 Job Description: The RN is responsible for delegating, coordinating, and managing all aspects of nu...
Team Leader Nurse , University of Tennessee Medical Center at Knoxville, United States, 27 days ago
Job Title: Team Leader Nurse Department: Ambulatory Infusion Center Full/Part Time: Full Req Number: UHS-16422 Job Description: Functions as shift leaders. Directs and supervises patient and f...
Cna , University of Tennessee Medical Center at Knoxville, United States, 27 days ago
Job Title: CNA Department: Orthopedics I 5EP Full/Part Time: Part Req Number: UHS-16389 Job Description: Performs direct and indirect patient care activities under supervision of licensed pers...
Surgical Technologist , University of Tennessee Medical Center at Knoxville, United States, 25 days ago
Job Title: Surgical Technologist Department: Surgery Full/Part Time: Full Req Number: UHS-16425 Job Description: Provides for the care and safety of the surgical patient prior to, during, and ...
Radiological Technologist , University of Tennessee Medical Center at Knoxville, United States, 13 days ago
Job Title: Radiological Technologist Department: Cardiac Cath Full/Part Time: Full Req Number: UHS-16239 Job Description: Radiological Technologist is skilled in radiographic and angiographic ...