Assistant to the Managing Editor
Illinois Journal of Mathematics
Department of Mathematics
College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
The Department of Mathematics at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign seeks applicants for the position of Assistant to the Managing Editor. This position is responsible for providing editorial support to the Illinois Journal of Mathematics (IJM) Managing Editor, as well as production of the journal, financial management, subscription management, and maintenance of systems and records for the IJM. This position acts within the scope of the policies of the Editorial Board of the Illinois Journal of Mathematics.
Specific duties and responsibilities include:
• Editorial Management
- Coordinates the processing of 250+ manuscript submissions per year using a sophisticated system of centralized electronic processing, allowing for data retrieval and automated generation of reports, such as lists of accepted papers.
- Coordinates correspondence between authors, referees, and editors to insure proper handling and timely processing of papers, resulting in decisions regarding revisions/rejection/acceptance of papers.
- Collaborates with editors in making decisions regarding publication, providing history and details of papers on an individual basis.
- Provides monthly reports to editors with detailed information on the papers they are currently processing.
- Maintains editorial workflow for papers in various stages, from submission to publication.
• Production Management
- Plans, schedules and coordinates the production of the journal publication and the publication of a monograph series. Establishes work flow with university or outside vendor services for copyediting, typesetting, proofreading, printing, and shipping services for the production and delivery of the journal.
- Reviews work load distribution, monitors quality of vendors’ work, arranges and negotiates contracts with suppliers/vendors, sets due dates and priority schedules, monitors orders beginning with creative production and ending with final printing.
- Develops typesetting and manufacturing specifications, assuring that the journal’s in-house style remains consistent. Proofreads journal covers, front matter, and other print matter, making appropriate revisions.
- Estimates costs for services.
- Works with Project Euclid/Duke University, to coordinate files for electronic publication of the journal.
• Subscription Management: Management of 750+ journal subscriptions, both print and online:
- Invoicing and chasing subscriber payments.
- Maintaining subscription database.
- Authentication of subscriber online access.
- Dealing with subscriber queries and providing customer service.
- Providing technical support when necessary.
- Handles subscription claims, and sends out catch-up copies to late renewing subscribers.
- Initiates renewal mailings to subscribers, does competitive analysis of rate structure, and sends yearly rate information to subscription agents.
- Monitors policies related to subscriptions such as issues of perpetual access of electronic content.
• Financial Management: Provides financial planning for the journal by:
- Setting budgets
- Monitoring and providing summary reports of financial transactions
- Reviewing and approving expenditures
- Interfaces with the university to fulfill other various financial requirements.
• Miscellaneous Duties:
- Administers a journal exchange program and acts as liaison between the UIUC math department library and approximately 175 math libraries around the world.
- Initiates and maintains copyright transfer agreements from authors regarding their published papers, processes permission requests for print and electronic reproduction, and registers copyrights with the federal government copyright office.
Minimum Qualifications :
• Bachelor's degree in Publishing Studies, Communication, Journalism or related field.
• 2 years of experience in academic publication environment. Experience and skill using computer software; TeX, Unix, FileMaker Pro, Excel, and journal management software (such as Edit Flow).
• Detail-oriented, thorough, and deadline-driven. Excellent written and oral communications skills. Ability to organize and manage operations in a timely fashion.
• 3 years of experience in academic publication environment.
The Assistant to the Managing Editor is a full-time, benefits-eligible academic professional position appointed on a 12-month service basis. Eligibility for benefits are contingent on your citizenship or work authorization. For full details on eligibility requirements, please reference http://www.ahr.illinois.edu/employees/current/other.html#Benefits . The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
To apply for this position, please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, resume, and names/contact information for three references by March 31, 2017. Full consideration will be given to complete applications received by the closing date. For further information regarding application procedures, contact Caitie Bruning, email@example.com , 217-244-7693.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO . To learn more about the University’s commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu