The Department of Biology at UF invites applications for an OPS laboratory manager position.
This Laboratory Manager reports to the Coordinator of Laboratories and is responsible for laboratory setups, maintenance of equipment, and other management duties associated with the biology teaching laboratories.
The Laboratory Manager oversees and manages the day-to-day operations and maintenance of the Biology teaching laboratory facilities and equipment. Ideal candidate will have experience with a wide range of laboratory instrumentation used in biology, molecular biology and biochemistry research. Lab managerial duties may include ordering, receiving, inventory and maintenance of laboratory reagents and equipment while generally ensuring smooth operations in the lab. In addition, the technician will help ensure lab compliance to all hazardous chemical control and laboratory safety protocols.
Job duties include, but are not limited to:
- Prepares for and sets up laboratories for weekly lab exercises, maintains and resupplies laboratories throughout the week, and breaks down laboratories and week's end.
- Preparation of standard chemical reagents including buffers, carbohydrates, and enzymes, media, and apparatuses according to lab guidelines.
- Maintains cleanliness and organization of teaching laboratories, laboratory preparation rooms and related storage areas.
- Performs facilities and equipment maintenance - maintaining laboratory equipment, instrumentation and microscopes in appropriate working order, or makes arrangements for repairs and maintenance.
- Inventory and maintain chemicals, specimens, models, cultures, laboratory equipment; manage materials utilization and order supplies as needed.
- Assists graduate teaching assistants in the Introductory Biology labs with equipment training and material preparations.
- Participates in environmental health and safety audits, maintains accurate records, and ensures compliance with safety regulations of science laboratories.
- Maintains breeding colonies of fruit flies (Drosophila melanogaster).
- Supervises and trains undergraduate student assistants.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
- May be required to work early morning, late evening, or weekends.
- A Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution or equivalent accreditation in Biology, Environmental Studies, Marine Science, or Chemistry.
- Previous experience with laboratory equipment, biology lab preparation, and maintenance of lab operations.
- Knowledge of animal and plant diversity.
- Knowledge and experience in molecular techniques including PCR, electrophoresis, and the use of restriction enzymes.
- Computer literacy. Experience operating personal computers with proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and Outlook).
- Training in the use of scientific equipment.
Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution or equivalent accreditation in Environmental Studies, Marine Science, Biology, Chemistry, appropriate Natural or Physical Science.
Experience in an academic science laboratory.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to effectively apply knowledge and skills in a highly organized fashion
- Strong attention to detail
- Good organizational skills
- Ability to work productively with minimal supervision
- Ability to work in a team environment and independently as needed
- Ability to train and direct study team
- Must be able to set and meet timelines or be able to recognize and schedule changes in response to project demands
- Ability to work in an upright and /or stationary position for 6-8 hours per day.
- Repetitive hand movement of both hands with the ability to make fast, simple, repeated movements of the fingers, hands, and wrists.
- Frequent mobility required.
- Occasional crouching, stooping, with frequent bending and twisting of upper body and neck.
- Light to moderate lifting and carrying (or otherwise moves) objects including luggage and laptop computer with a maximum lift of 15-20 lbs.
- Ability to communicate information and ideas so others will understand; with the ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Performs a wide range of variable tasks as dictated by variable demands and changing
- Regular and consistent attendance.